Protesting

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Protesting

Post by temporal1 »

I feel for the moderators as they try to navigate something that’s pretty much impossible to navigate.

praying for them, with faith in their ability to discern. not expecting perfection.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

To any observer of the Palm Sunday March on Jerusalem, led by Jesus, this was a protest. As Scripture makes clear, the riding a donkey was a symbol of the coming king. "Hosanna" is a cry to save us--from the Roman occupiers. The Romans knew the Messianic symbolism and that Jews expected the Messiah to overturn them. The Jewish leaders knew that the Romans knew this which was the expressed purpose. "It is better for you to have one man die for the people than to have the whole nation destroyed.” Where did Jesus tell his followers, "just this one time, friends"?

Cleansing the temple was a clear act of civil disobedience. Jesus did this at the beginning and the end of his ministry years.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

JimFoxvog wrote:To any observer of the Palm Sunday March on Jerusalem, led by Jesus, this was a protest. As Scripture makes clear, the riding a donkey was a symbol of the coming king. "Hosanna" is a cry to save us--from the Roman occupiers. The Romans knew the Messianic symbolism and that Jews expected the Messiah to overturn them. The Jewish leaders knew that the Romans knew this which was the expressed purpose. "It is better for you to have one man die for the people than to have the whole nation destroyed.” Where did Jesus tell his followers, "just this one time, friends"?

Cleansing the temple was a clear act of civil disobedience. Jesus did this at the beginning and the end of his ministry years.
I really don't see Jesus cleansing o the temple as an 'act of civil disobedience'. Disobedience is sin, and Jesus had no sin.
The Scriptures convey it as 'zeal for His Father's House'. Isn't that closer to the truth?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Jesus’ intent was spiritual, eternal, not to commandeer secular governments, raid public treasuries.

The temple was to be for sacred worship of God.

There is so much conflating of secular gov with Christianity, effort must be made in attempt to sort it out. Not easy for the most dedicated believers.
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Is there a difference between mass protesting (linking arms with people of all stripes including sinners) and protesting as an individual like the OT prophets or like Paul in the NT?

What if everyone who protested in mass in 2020, would have written letters to their civil leaders, stood outside a state building with a sign, used a bullhorn, used social media, etc. all across America? And rather than attack the people they don't like, what if they would have addressed principles that should be followed?

I'm guessing that the net effect/results would have been more positive to-date.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Valerie wrote: I really don't see Jesus cleansing o the temple as an 'act of civil disobedience'. Disobedience is sin, and Jesus had no sin.
The Scriptures convey it as 'zeal for His Father's House'. Isn't that closer to the truth?
Jesus was told by religious authorities, "tell your followers to be quiet." He disobeyed.

I've known quite a few Christians that like to replace the term "civil disobedience" with "divine obedience". When breaking the rules is to proclaim the Kingdom of God, done after praying for God's guidance, then the motive is more like zeal for the Father, if not the Temple. The real question is whether the action is really led by God. Examples would get "political" so I'll go no farther.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Valerie wrote: I really don't see Jesus cleansing o the temple as an 'act of civil disobedience'. Disobedience is sin, and Jesus had no sin.
Are you sure? Sometimes it is sinful to obey. We have the disciples example "we must obey God rather than man."
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I think motivation is important. Protest as a tool to gain or regain control is anti Christlike but standing with the oppressed can be a path to loving your neighbor. My uncle used to say "the pacifist still has a "fist"", as a way of differentiating the motives of non violent protest. If your goal is to gain power, it has little value in the kingdom of Jesus but if your goal is to shine a light on injustice it can be as Romans suggests, bringing down "coals of fire" on your opponents head, which is a metaphor for activating the conscience.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote:
Are you sure? Sometimes it is sinful to obey. We have the disciples example "we must obey God rather than man."
Where did Valerie go??
I believe what she’s saying is the disobedience was in those defiling a place of worship, not a gov, or civic building.

Jesus is God, He obeys His Father/Himself.

Jesus respected earthly government, while offering eternal choices. He did not suggest changing or taking from gov, but offered His Way.

Today’s protests are about seeking after gov for both law and funding.

Jesus did neither.
He warned His Way would not be easy. But it would be ultimately rewarding.
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote:I think motivation is important. Protest as a tool to gain or regain control is anti Christlike but standing with the oppressed can be a path to loving your neighbor. My uncle used to say "the pacifist still has a "fist"", as a way of differentiating the motives of non violent protest. If your goal is to gain power, it has little value in the kingdom of Jesus but if your goal is to shine a light on injustice it can be as Romans suggests, bringing down "coals of fire" on your opponents head, which is a metaphor for activating the conscience.
You’re pretty much there. :P
But, if you think most of today’s organized protesters aren’t after control of law and the public treasury, on an educated+professional level, I believe you are wildly mistaken.

I’m so very sorry to say.
0 x

UNKNOWN