David Platt and Francis Chan

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

David Platt and Francis Chan

Post by MaxPC »

From this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=267#p6368

I'm wondering if David Platt and Francis Chan are considered Anabaptist? If not, what category or fellowship do they represent?

Here's a vid I found on their discipleship thoughts.
http://churchleaders.com/outreach-missi ... -chan.html
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: David Platt and Francis Chan

Post by Josh »

They are not historically, culturally, or theologically Anabaptist.

I do think they allowed themselves to be influenced by the Bible just like Conrad G. and George B. did many years ago. So they end up at the same destination.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:So they end up at the same destination.
I don't really know either of them. In what ways do they end up at the same destination? In what ways do they differ?

Ernie implies that the logical conclusion of their approach would lead them to Anabaptism, but they aren't all the way there. Do you agree?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:So they end up at the same destination.
I don't really know either of them. In what ways do they end up at the same destination? In what ways do they differ?
Ernie implies that the logical conclusion of their approach would lead them to Anabaptism, but they aren't all the way there. Do you agree?
I think the logical conclusion would lead them to become Kingdom Christians (as defined by Bercot) or Pilgrim Church (as defined by Broadbent). Historic Anabaptism is a subset of both.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: I think the logical conclusion would lead them to become Kingdom Christians (as defined by Bercot) or Pilgrim Church (as defined by Broadbent). Historic Anabaptism is a subset of both.
If I'm understanding you correctly, these gentlemen aren't affiliated - yet, but they may become KC or PC.

Do you happen to know the reason the college may be named Sattler? Is it for Michael Sattler?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:
Ernie wrote:I think the logical conclusion would lead them to become Kingdom Christians (as defined by Bercot) or Pilgrim Church (as defined by Broadbent). Historic Anabaptism is a subset of both.
If I'm understanding you correctly, these gentlemen aren't affiliated - yet, but they may become KC or PC.

Do you happen to know the reason the college may be named Sattler? Is it for Michael Sattler?
These aren't denominations. Broadbent was a Plymouth Brethren missionary who wrote many years back and is now dead. I don't know if David Bercot is formally affiliated with any denomination.

If I understand Ernie correctly, he is saying that historic Anabaptism would be one group of Christians who would fit into the vision of both Broadbent and Bercot, but not the only one. And he hopes that Platt and Chan will move further in that direction.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:Do you happen to know the reason the college may be named Sattler? Is it for Michael Sattler?
Off the record, I've heard the name comes from the Sattler Brothers.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Do you happen to know the reason the college may be named Sattler? Is it for Michael Sattler?
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
:rofl:
Distant memories :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote:These aren't denominations. Broadbent was a Plymouth Brethren missionary who wrote many years back and is now dead. I don't know if David Bercot is formally affiliated with any denomination.

If I understand Ernie correctly, he is saying that historic Anabaptism would be one group of Christians who would fit into the vision of both Broadbent and Bercot, but not the only one. And he hopes that Platt and Chan will move further in that direction.
Correct.
Bercot is not affiliated with a denomination, but is a member at a Mennonite church.

Yes, I hope Platt and Chan will keep moving in that direction, and if they acquiesce, I hope that some of their followers will keep moving in that direction.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"