Define "plain"

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Re: Define "plain"

Post by cmbl »

Ernie wrote: Some intermediates are transitional, others are not as much.

I'm part of a transitional church. I have been in such churches for the last 15 years. I'm not saying that a person should not be part of a transitional church, just don't be surprised at what you see if you are.
That makes sense. (I did wonder if you considered your church transitional.)
Many seekers join a transitional church expecting it to be stable, only to discover that people are simply flowing through, sometimes delayed by a generation or two.
That makes sense.
Then they get disillusioned.
Funny enough, I just sent an email to an NAB seeker in "my" conference telling him that the rose-tinted glasses have come off. :mrgreen:
I'm simply trying to help seekers make decisions with their eyes more fully open.
!SNIP!
Doing any of these with the wrong spirit can have disastrous effects.
Lots to think about here. Thanks for your reply.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Define "plain"

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

steve-in-kville wrote:Some recent threads got me thinking about this.... its a term we throw around here on the forums and also here locally. So what's your definition of the term 'plain"? Personally, I think it has a lot to do with where you place yourself on the *liberal/conservative* scale. There will always be people who are plainer than my wife and I. There will be people not as plain.

My wife has a few aunts and uncles that have been faithful members of the various brethren circles over the years. Some aunts wear their hair up in a covering 24/7. Some only wear them for church, hair down. The uncles range from plain suits to lapel suits and ties. I have a sister-in-law that ties her covering strings under her chin. I have a brother-in-law that wears suspenders.

So, define plain.
Interesting thread.
I would define plain in two ways. "Plain people" are groups of people who are culturally not assimilated to the prevailing culture; especially in their dress.It comes from their "separation from the world" ethos. Uniformity in their dress identifies them as belonging to this or that group.

Whereas "plain" is more in line with frugal, minimalist, or simple. Some "Plain people" fit in this description but many do not. This idea of "plain" crosses all echelons of society and is an outcome of a variety of different ideologies.
0 x