When the wife wears the pants...

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Re: When the wife wears the pants...

Post by Chris »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:44 am I think people are sort of conflating two different things here.

The first is a question of personality: Domineering vs submissive. Both men and women can be domineering or assertive and when you get two domineering personalities in a marriage you can have endless clashes.

the second is a question of roles: What is the man's role in a marriage versus a woman's role. Who works outside the home, inside the home, raises children, etc.

They are not the same thing at all. Some of the most abusive spouses I have seen are in very traditional marriages. There is a certain stereotype of Texas Mom who is a stay home mom but dominates the husband and family and micromanages the show to an obsessive degree. You might call them helicopter wives or helicopter moms. In fact, they might be more common in very traditional marriages perhaps because they have less other things to do with their lives. And there are even reality shows about these type of women.

But the opposite is equally problematic. When you have a domineering husband who micromanages. I don't think either are necessarily healthy for marriages or children. My grandfather was very authoritarian and frankly ended up alienating every one of his many children once they were old enough to think for themselves. Out of seven sons in the 1930s to 1950s, not a single one wanted to stick around and help take over the farm.

I think the key to a good marriage is to find a spouse who complements you so that you can each bring your own strengths and weaknesses to the marriage and form a whole that is greater than the sum of the parts. The couples I know who are most successful at life are those who have found their own unique ways to form a partnership that works for them with neither trying to dominate the other.
The Bible defines the role of a woman clearly.
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Chris wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:45 pmThe Bible defines the role of a woman clearly.
so according to the Bible, what is the role of a woman?
are you willing to spell it out for me?
thanks
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

justme wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:41 pm
Chris wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:45 pmThe Bible defines the role of a woman clearly.
thanks
Well… the Bible clearly says who makes the coffee.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

thanks
https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Wives
0 x
justme

Post by justme »

that's not terribly helpful, chris
one of the verses at that link is this:
Job 2:9 Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!”

so am i to understand that the duty of a wife is to tell her husband, curse God and die?
because i disagree.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

justme wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:16 pm that's not terribly helpful, chris
Job 2:9 Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!”

so am i to understand that the duty of a wife is to tell her husband, curse God and die?
because i disagree.
That seems to be the point of that passage to use as an example of what NOT to do/be.

Apparently the "View Concepts" you can click on to the right of the passage is supposed to help.

The Bible is full of helpful passages of teaching women what."to be" and what not to be" as in Job's wife, in that way, it can be helpful .

Bottom line i guess is the Bible gives abundant references to speak to our roles as wives- but the question was about "women's" roles, not always wives- obviously could be different for single women & widows
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:48 pm
thanks
Well… the Bible clearly says who makes the coffee.
Tim Hortons makes the coffee but McDonalds goes easier on my stomach and I like their lids better.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:48 pm Well… the Bible clearly says who makes the coffee.
Despite the teachings of Hillel, if the husband doesn't brew the coffee, that is not grounds for divorce.
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

justme wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:16 pm that's not terribly helpful, chris

because i disagree.
I have wondered what her deepest motivation was for that suggestion. Since the afterlife was not such a clear concept at that time, I've wondered if her motivation might have been out of the pain & despair she felt, watching her husband suffering as he did, then thinking that since his blessed life was "over" (an assumption based on the current state of things), he would only get relief through death, and the quickest way to finish it was to curse God.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
justme

Post by justme »

wouldn't that kind of be like the suicide thot process?
pain and despair and the only apparent way to end the pain is thru death?
and so the choice is made to hurry up the process?
0 x