Poll: Concealed Weapons among Plain Anabaptists?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

I know that handguns are carried to church by members in "good standing" in these groups -

Total votes: 0

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Concealed Weapons among Plain Anabaptists?

Post by Josh »

Outsider wrote:
Dan Z wrote: I don't know the terminology but I'm assuming an LCCH is a license to conceal carry a handgun or something like that. I'd be interested in hearing more about the legitimate reasons for a non-resistant Christian to license and carry a concealed weapon.
You might have one for shooting snakes or some other type of animal threat in the woods or on your farm- if you live in an area with such threats. (You would generally use rat-shot for that purpose. Which would likely be non-lethal if used against a person.) Cops and the general public get itchy when they see people carry openly.

I used to work at a cloth mill in Atlanta where I used a sheathed knife to cut off rolls of towel material for the endless towel rolls in bathrooms. I wore it on my belt. I forgot to take it off one day on my way home and was approached by a policeman who asked me about it, and then instructed me to conceal it.
Where I live, it would be illegal to conceal it, as knives may never be conceal carried.

When I find the need to carry around a firearm, I don’t conceal it, although I’m not sure how one would conceal a .22 in the first place.
0 x
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

Josh wrote:
ragpicker wrote:That's criminal and immoral.

BTW, I am unaware of any state in which it is legal to try to kill someone. That's generally considered to be murder.
The only exception would be capital punishment.
That's murder if it's done to the wrong person. Which is why I'm against it.
0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

Ken wrote:
Josh wrote:"Neutralise a threat" gets to motive, which is very different from "I want to kill that guy".

"Neutralise a threat" means that your home is being invaded and is someone is threatening to kill your family. The police arrive. The robbers are not obedient to police commands, but instead now threaten to shoot the police, too, unless they leave. The police observe the robbers are armed.

The police will neutralise the threat. The police do not wake up each day, intending to try to kill some guy. To get killed by a cop, you have to first present a threat that puts other people in fear for their lives.
Sure. But you are one of the most doctrinaire biblical literalists who posts here. Can you show us anywhere in the New Testament where Jesus provides a "threat neutralization" exception to the biblical prohibition on killing?

I know the Catholics and many other protestant denominations have built up a "just war" theology in support of war and the use of force. I wasn't aware it was becoming an Anabaptist thing as well. You guys like to talk about a "slippery slope" when it comes to things like LGBT rights. And women in leadership. And a bunch of other topics. But wow, this seems like a much larger one that is much more fundamental to Anabaptist identity than any of those others.
Romans 13:3-5 King James Version (KJV)

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

The "just war" thing didn't come about until nominal Christians became the "rulers".
0 x

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Josh wrote:I have said repeatedly I think followers of Christ need to live by a different standard, lay down our rights, and not carry arms. That doesn't mean I think nobody should carry arms, because that is a ridiculous stance to take. I just think Christians shouldn't do so.
Do you believe that everyone is called to become a follower of Christ? I do. I think part of repentance is turning away from our acceptance of killing or "neutralizing a threat".
I'm against capital punishment on the grounds that a guy in a cell is a "neutralized threat", and hence to kill him is "murder". However, I could not bring myself to charge someone who is protecting themselves or another person a "murderer". The 10 commandments read "thou shalt not murder"- not "thou shalt not kill"- in the original Hebrew. Hence, self-defense was legal under the law. And I think it should be legal under the world's laws. (Romans 13:3-5)

But, like divorce, it's something that the Christian is called to eschew.

The real question, brought to my mind from posts in this thread, is can a Christian be a "ruler" and still be a Christian?
0 x

Outsider

Post by Outsider »

Josh wrote: Where I live, it would be illegal to conceal it, as knives may never be conceal carried.

When I find the need to carry around a firearm, I don’t conceal it, although I’m not sure how one would conceal a .22 in the first place.
I didn't argue with the man. But does that include pocket-knives?

But I know the cops also gave a guy who used to do yard work and carry a machete around on his back some hassle for it. I'm not sure about your average sheathe knives around here. As I said, I just didn't argue with him.
0 x

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Outsider wrote:
Josh wrote: Where I live, it would be illegal to conceal it, as knives may never be conceal carried.

But I know the cops also gave a guy who used to do yard work and carry a machete around on his back some hassle for it. I'm not sure about your average sheathe knives around here. As I said, I just didn't argue with him.
Most jurisdictions have some limit on knives. Here in WA you are not allowed to carry a dirk, dagger, or switchblade. And in my city you cannot concealed carry any fixed blade knife with a blade longer than 3" There doesn't seem to be any limit on the length of a folding blade.

I always keep a large Leatherman in my everyday backpack and have to remember to take it out when I travel or go into a stadium. I use the pliers and screw drivers about 100x more than the knife blade.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote:
Outsider wrote:

Most jurisdictions have some limit on knives. Here in WA you are not allowed to carry a dirk, dagger, or switchblade. And in my city you cannot concealed carry any fixed blade knife with a blade longer than 3" There doesn't seem to be any limit on the length of a folding blade.

I always keep a large Leatherman in my everyday backpack and have to remember to take it out when I travel or go into a stadium. I use the pliers and screw drivers about 100x more than the knife blade.
Airport security has collected a number of Leathermans from me.
0 x