Apostolic Christian Church

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JoshScott
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Apostolic Christian Church

Post by JoshScott »

Fidelio wrote:
In Detroit ACCA we sing from Hymn's of Zion/Tabernacle Hymns (two hymnals combined) and Zion's Harp.

I read that during the Vietnam War Apostolic Christians (ACCA) served in the Army and would do anything but carry a gun. Some were medics on the battlefields and some died as a result. The were far braver than I am.
Interesting. Their doctrinal statement is very thoughtful and thorough. I appreciated that group very much and I hope they can hang on to what they have. Many of them had issues with materialism which seems all too common among immigrants from Eastern Europe. I mean there were some seriously ostentatious displays of luxury there.
0 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

JoshScott wrote:
Escondido I think?
Escondido has two or even three Fröhlich congregations: There is the Apostolic Christian Church of America http://www.sandiegoacchurch.org and there is or was also an Apostolic Christian Faith Church after the 2012 split of the ACCA. Finally, there is a Nazarene Christian Congregation which is a conservative split off the ACC Nazarean, the so-called Doroslovac group. As you have mentioned Eastern European folks attending, I would guess that you were attending the Nazarene Christian Congregation. Have a look at my maps, maybe you can locate the church -> http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2310
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Swiss Bro wrote:
JoshScott wrote:
Escondido I think?
Escondido has two or even three Fröhlich congregations: There is the Apostolic Christian Church of America http://www.sandiegoacchurch.org and there is or was also an Apostolic Christian Faith Church after the 2012 split of the ACCA. Finally, there is a Nazarene Christian Congregation which is a conservative split off the ACC Nazarean, the so-called Doroslovac group. As you have mentioned Eastern European folks attending, I would guess that you were attending the Nazarene Christian Congregation. Have a look at my maps, maybe you can locate the church -> http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2310
Interesting. the next two conservative Anabaptist churches to my location are on this map. The closest is my own.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Interesting. the next two conservative Anabaptist churches to my location are on this map. The closest is my own.

J.M.
Not sure I understand. It's just google maps with a few pins on it. :?:
0 x
JoshScott

Post by JoshScott »

Swiss Bro wrote:
It was the ACCA church on Del Dios that we attended. Nice maps!
0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

JoshScott wrote:
It was the ACCA church on Del Dios that we attended. Nice maps!
Cheers. Interesting that there would be many folks of Eastern European background attending the ACCA congregation. I always thought they would rather attend the Nazarean congregation.
0 x
JoshScott

Post by JoshScott »

Swiss Bro wrote:
Cheers. Interesting that there would be many folks of Eastern European background attending the ACCA congregation. I always thought they would rather attend the Nazarean congregation.
They may be there by now. We were there in .. let's see ... 2006.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Great job on the maps, SB. :up:

Does the ACC practice nonresistance and avoid voting/political involvement?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

MaxPC wrote: Does the ACC practice nonresistance and avoid voting/political involvement?
I am new in ACCA so don't know about the voting/political involvement.

I read that during Vietnam, ACCA Christians served in the U.S. Military and would do anything but carry a gun as they refused to harm anyone. Some died as medics on the battlefields.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

MaxPC wrote:Great job on the maps, SB.

Does the ACC practice nonresistance and avoid voting/political involvement?
Thanks Max. You asked about nonresistance in the ACC. I'll start with the army part (sorry for the lenghty post):

When the founder of the ACC, S. H. Fröhlich, put together his belief system in the 1830ies, nonresistance was initially not on his radar. He focused on believers baptism and, after he got kicked out of the State Reformed Church, went to England to join the Continental Society, a Baptist outfit sending missionaries to continental Europe to teach them the Baptist faith. Which Fröhlich did. But he teached his own doctrine. Anyway, his missionary journey brought him to the Emmental, where he met the Anabaptists (Swiss Brethren) and was immediately attracted to them. It was them who initiated him to the nonresistance part of their faith which Fröhlich adopted. Fröhlich then split the local Anabaptist congregation and half of them formed the "New Baptist" (as opposed to the "Old Baptists" aka Anabaptists of old) congregation in Langnau that still exists to this day as an ETG church, as does the "Old Baptists", now Mennonites. Ever since, nonresistance was part of Fröhlichs teachings.

Things then took different turns in different parts of the world. Where it was possible not to join the army at all, the Fröhlichers didn't. Where it was not possible but there was an opportunity to join non-armed services, they did. This was the case in the US and as Fidelio pointed out, they served their country with bravery. Where this was not an option, they became conscientious objectors. This was the case in the southeastern parts of the Austro-Ungarian empire which later became communist Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia (etc.). The brethren there suffered the worst persecution, were imprisoned and executed. This led to emigration to the US and other countries of these "Nazarenes". The nonresistance is a very important part of the DNA of these Nazarene brethren because of the great sacrifices and martyrdom endured because of it.

The result is (as far as I am aware) that the American churches with more US/Western European roots (ACCA) have a somewhat different attitude towards the army, guns etc. than the ones with Nazarene roots.

In our Swiss and German assimilated ETG congregations, nonresistance in the form of not joining the army/taking arms plays a minor role in recent decades. The last brother who was imprisoned for conscientious objection in Switzerland was probably in the 1960ies or 70ies. We have a lot of brethren who served in the army without or also with arms. Note that Switzerland has a militia system so basically every young man is drafted but it is quite easy to get to do social services instead if you affirm conscience grounds. Too easy for some politicians who are talking about "tightening the screws" a bit in order not to loose too many young guys.
0 x