Post by KingdomBuilder »

Very much enjoying this thread. I'm in dire need of some good resources :clap:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bible Study References

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Very much enjoying this thread. I'm in dire need of some good resources :clap:
Why don't we pick a passage or a book to work through, and apply the resources together? Ideally, a book that's not too long, like 1 John or one of the shorter letters of Paul. I have an idea for doing this with group annotations on an online text that I'd like to try out ...

In the process, we can see what resources are useful.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Very much enjoying this thread. I'm in dire need of some good resources :clap:
Why don't we pick a passage or a book to work through, and apply the resources together? Ideally, a book that's not too long, like 1 John or one of the shorter letters of Paul. I have an idea for doing this with group annotations on an online text that I'd like to try out ...

In the process, we can see what resources are useful.
That sounds good! I quite like 1 John
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Wade wrote:I am a slow reader so Matthew Henry's Commentary is very daunting but yet there is some clarity in it that I have not heard before that is rather helpful.
I find it hard to focus enough to follow Matthew Henry, partly because of the 300-year-old language. There's a new edition that might help with this (use the "look inside" feature to sample the contents).
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wade wrote:Hopefully this answers most of the questions:

I like study helps for verification but also expansion of proper precepts. (I have a lot to learn.)

I like it when they help in seeing something clearer that it is easy to relate to and then apply to real life in practical ways. I am a slow reader so Matthew Henry's Commentary is very daunting but yet there is some clarity in it that I have not heard before that is rather helpful. (Not being raised Christian I do find at times some of the basic things that others understand I need broken down into simpler form.) (With weak reading skills it can be helpful to hear the same things over and over and from different wording tell it sinks in...)

No matter what resources I have used often I will stop them for a bit and just read scripture itself. But not having a church that we regularly attend it is easy for me to become unbalanced in views at times. So study helps can also be just other ideas, even if they don't always line up with my thinking; they really can be helpful in broaden my view. That is part of the reason I ask all of you because not am I just interested what works for me, I like to hear what also works for you.
Commentaries are not intended to be read like a book, but used as a reference when you are studying a particular passage.
I once started to read through the Ante-Nicene Fathers... I learned pretty quickly that I would never read the whole 9 volumes. It is however a great resource for early church thought, though from a mostly Western/Gentile perspective, that tends to leave out a lot of valuable thought that also was recorded in those days.
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

gcdonner wrote:

I like study helps for verification but also expansion of proper precepts. (I have a lot to learn.)

I like it when they help in seeing something clearer that it is easy to relate to and then apply to real life in practical ways. I am a slow reader so Matthew Henry's Commentary is very daunting but yet there is some clarity in it that I have not heard before that is rather helpful. (Not being raised Christian I do find at times some of the basic things that others understand I need broken down into simpler form.) (With weak reading skills it can be helpful to hear the same things over and over and from different wording tell it sinks in...)

No matter what resources I have used often I will stop them for a bit and just read scripture itself. But not having a church that we regularly attend it is easy for me to become unbalanced in views at times. So study helps can also be just other ideas, even if they don't always line up with my thinking; they really can be helpful in broaden my view. That is part of the reason I ask all of you because not am I just interested what works for me, I like to hear what also works for you.
Commentaries are not intended to be read like a book, but used as a reference when you are studying a particular passage.
I once started to read through the Ante-Nicene Fathers... I learned pretty quickly that I would never read the whole 9 volumes. It is however a great resource for early church thought, though from a mostly Western/Gentile perspective, that tends to leave out a lot of valuable thought that also was recorded in those days.
Haha... I didn't intend to read it like a book.

My 8 year old daughter said the other day that if I were to try and read it like a book I would die before I ever finished... :lol:

I'll take hers and your advice but still just reading his comments on a few verses is daunting is what I meant...
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote: That sounds good! I quite like 1 John
Or maybe the Sermon on the Mount?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote: That sounds good! I quite like 1 John
Or maybe the Sermon on the Mount?
Why not both? It's just a matter of which we should do first.
I've felt the need to work on the Beatitudes more in depth lately- so i think that may be a good starting point.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Wade: I've always enjoyed your own thoughts about Biblical discipleship. Do you seek a study for verification or expansion of your perceptions of Anabaptist theology?

Ernie's fellowship, Followers of the Way, have some excellent Biblical messages to expand thinking and understanding:
http://followers-of-the-way.org/messages.shtml
That is not Ernie's fellowship, and some of their messages deviate quite far from what I consider Anabaptism and conservative Mennonite thinking.
Josh, this your opinion only. Please refrain from criticizing others' fellowship messages. As many have reminded you, your generalized statements are far too broad and negative.

Wade, your stated goals are wise. I pray good success for you in your diligence and zeal for Jesus. I look forward to more postings/thoughts from you on the forum :up:

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote:
Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Wade: I've always enjoyed your own thoughts about Biblical discipleship. Do you seek a study for verification or expansion of your perceptions of Anabaptist theology?

Ernie's fellowship, Followers of the Way, have some excellent Biblical messages to expand thinking and understanding:
http://followers-of-the-way.org/messages.shtml
That is not Ernie's fellowship, and some of their messages deviate quite far from what I consider Anabaptism and conservative Mennonite thinking.
Josh, this your opinion only. Please refrain from criticizing others' fellowship messages. As many have reminded you, your generalized statements are far too broad and negative.

Wade, your stated goals are wise. I pray good success for you in your diligence and zeal for Jesus. I look forward to more postings/thoughts from you on the forum :up:

Max:

Unless Ernie has gotten a pilots license, this is not his church. He lives in central PA, this place is on the outskirts of Boston.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: