Cons. Anabaptist covering practices

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Cons. Anabaptist ordination practices

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:04 pmPerhaps this would be a good time to reveal the One True Covering*, aka the solid black kapp, which you will find works well anywhere ranging from a short trip to town to your nearest bulk food store to a cross-country flight in United Polaris** to a more economical long-distance international flight with connections all the way to Timbuktu***.

*Due to concerns about veil size, this may be updated to the One True Visible Covering.

**Marketed as United Business.

***Upon arrival in Timbuktu, or even Bamako, it may be advised to switch to a solid blue covering instead as black veils might be associated with witchcraft.
:lol: :up:
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:13 pmTo the posted statement, I can only speak from our own experiences and that of other Anabaptist acquaintances in several other countries, but the use of scarves in the mission field is often far less about comfort on an airplane and more about practicality, common sense, and an greater emphasis on doctrine than on certain denominational identity markers which are so easily available and maintained in a 1st world culture and country with conveniences like consistent electricity and running water, and easy access to cleaning agents and replacement materials.
I realise this question has been begged to bankruptcy, but one wonders why if such a practice is not necessary in the mission field, it is so necessary at home?

To highlight the absurdity of this system, I used to go to a church that mandated "coffee filter" style organdy see-through kapps. They sponsored missionaries who were in other places. When these missionaries would come home on furlough and give a mission report, or had an emergency trip home for a funeral, they would continue to wear their hanging veils, boldly wearing them to church. When they finally returned from the mission, they dutifully returned to wearing kapps.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:16 pm To highlight the absurdity of this system, I used to go to a church that mandated "coffee filter" style organdy see-through kapps. They sponsored missionaries who were in other places. When these missionaries would come home on furlough and give a mission report, or had an emergency trip home for a funeral, they would continue to wear their hanging veils, boldly wearing them to church. When they finally returned from the mission, they dutifully returned to wearing kapps.
My aunt, who wore a black kapp when teaching overseas, continued to wear it after returning to PA and later MD. It might have caused a minor scandal if it had not been eclipsed by the larger scandal of those who were discontinuing covering altogether during that time (late 70s/early 80s).
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:55 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:16 pm To highlight the absurdity of this system, I used to go to a church that mandated "coffee filter" style organdy see-through kapps. They sponsored missionaries who were in other places. When these missionaries would come home on furlough and give a mission report, or had an emergency trip home for a funeral, they would continue to wear their hanging veils, boldly wearing them to church. When they finally returned from the mission, they dutifully returned to wearing kapps.
My aunt, who wore a black kapp when teaching overseas, continued to wear it after returning to PA and later MD. It might have caused a minor scandal if it had not been eclipsed by the larger scandal of those who were discontinuing covering altogether during that time (late 70s/early 80s).
I attended a Lancaster Conference run elementary school in the mid 80s, and I remember the school having a requirement for teachers to wear the little coverings. So my 4th grade teacher would pull it out of her purse and pin it on at the start of the school day. My 5th grade teacher got in trouble with the principal for bringing in a TV so we could watch the space shuttle take off and land. It was boring; we much preferred watching the 1980 world series film strip (preferably backward) on the reel projector.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:55 pm
A Beachy missionary couple likewise deftly navigated this issue by returning from the mission right after most Beachys decided to abandon the kapp (although, oddly enough, one of my nearby affiliates requires it for seekers only to wear it for a year consistently, but full members don't need to).
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:59 pm ....
My 5th grade teacher got in trouble with the principal for bringing in a TV so we could watch the space shuttle take off and land. It was boring; we much preferred watching the 1980 world series film strip (preferably backward) on the reel projector.
Reminds me of one of my teachers running a health film backwards.... (Putting an empty spoon up to the mouth, then taking it out full of food.) We all found it quite hilarious. (At least us boys, maybe not the girls - don't remember.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:50 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:47 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:44 pm
Overseas flights are longer, and it is more likely that people will lean back and sleep. Domestic flights not so much.
For whatever it’s worth.
That doesn't explain adopting the hanging veil the entire time one is in the mission, though. Presumably, missionaries do things besides just take very long flights.
They don’t make their beds like ours.
I don't think a capp would hold its shape in the Amazon - too humid. (My wife always wore the hanging veil while we were down there.) The capp also would have made her look even more like a nun. She got enough looks (and questions) as it was - a nun with children, and a man "hanging around"!
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:53 pm There are other things as well, such as the hanging veil for women being acceptable on the field but unacceptable stateside, which is my church's official position. (There are a number of unofficial exceptions as well.) There are probably many more examples of differences that exist between the two spheres.
Reasons I heard:

1- Easier to make in the mission field.
2- Easier to keep clean and maintain in the mission field.
3- Easier for new converts to take on/off.
4- One size fits all, regardless of age.

To that end, it appeared to me that going on a mission trip, no matter the length, it was always the time that women would switch from the cap to a veil, and the men would come back sporting a beard, whereas they left clean shaven. But that may be a subject for another day....
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Neto

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:54 am
mike wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:53 pm There are other things as well, such as the hanging veil for women being acceptable on the field but unacceptable stateside, which is my church's official position. (There are a number of unofficial exceptions as well.) There are probably many more examples of differences that exist between the two spheres.
Reasons I heard:

1- Easier to make in the mission field.
2- Easier to keep clean and maintain in the mission field.
3- Easier for new converts to take on/off.
4- One size fits all, regardless of age.

To that end, it appeared to me that going on a mission trip, no matter the length, it was always the time that women would switch from the cap to a veil, and the men would come back sporting a beard, whereas they left clean shaven. But that may be a subject for another day....
Curiosity: How many of the sisters here, those who customarily wear the capp, make their own?

The deal about the men coming back from visiting the mission field, now wearing a beard: Some people who came short-term to help us in various projects seemed to think that their normal hygienic practices were "too difficult" to maintain in our setting. A couple of months after we were officially "allocated" to the Banawa, someone from the mission was sent out to visit us for a few days, to evaluate our adjustment to the new setting. When it came time for bathing (in the river), I went separately (from my wife), and the visitor went with me. He told me later that he wanted to go along with me because lack of hygiene is one of the most obvious indications of maladjustment to a new setting. Not that a beard is a lack of hygiene, but it IS more difficult when you do not have running water (except in the creek or river), and if you need hot water, you must heat it on the stove.
But I suspect that the reason for a "plain" man to grow a beard while away from home is usually to avoid the ribbing during the time it just looks scrubby, or maybe to see if it's going to look like a "decent" beard, then decide whether to keep it or not. If he did it at home, then there might be "problems" if he later decided not to keep it.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Neto wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:17 am
Curiosity: How many of the sisters here, those who customarily wear the capp, make their own?
My wife if given the time might be able to make a cape dress. A Capp… not a chance. It’s getting harder to find women willing to make them for others and then an extra challenge is finding women willing to make opaque Capps. Down here in this Pilgrim church, it’s easier for the opaque. Most of the sisters use opaque.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat