At my church.... (check all that apply!)

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

At my church.... Check all that apply.

Have our deacons preach.
12%
Lift a weekly offering.
14%
Have handicap parking spaces.
13%
Have designated parking spaces for the elderly.
4%
Frequent fellowship/potluck meals.
11%
A designated hospitality host list.
8%
Designated song leader.
14%
Overhead projector or screen.
9%
Printed Bulliten.
10%
A greeter hands you the above mentioned bulletin.
5%

Total votes: 166

Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: At my church.... (check all that apply!)

Post by Heirbyadoption »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 amWe have pot luck continental breakfast just before our Sunday School. Since Sunday School is an hour and half, we do not have to worry about meeting the requirements of pre-Communion fasting.
Interesting... What is the actual pre-Communion fasting time requirement?

On another note of interest, I was under the impression that Sunday School was a Protestant invention. Is this something your particular congregation has taken and adapted, or is there a specifically Catholic format/content to it?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:35 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 amWe have pot luck continental breakfast just before our Sunday School. Since Sunday School is an hour and half, we do not have to worry about meeting the requirements of pre-Communion fasting.

On another note of interest, I was under the impression that Sunday School was a Protestant invention. Is this something your particular congregation has taken and adapted, or is there a specifically Catholic format/content to it?
Pre-Communion fasting is one hour before Mass.

Heirbyadoption, funnily enough "Sunday School" (catechetical classes) were actually started in the Early Church though they were not called "Sunday School". I shall try to keep the explanation brief and avoid an entire treatise of history. It is past my bedtime. :lol:

In Catholic World, the terms religious education; catechetical classes; and Sunday School (if those classes meet on Sunday) are interchangeable. There are dozens of other names that have been used throughout history but in essence, this ministry ("classes" or "Bible studies" or "religious education") have always existed in some form in the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. I would hazard a guess that it was not always called "Sunday School" in some protestant circles either, especially if they do not meet on Sunday.

For me it is an affirmation that through the centuries it has been recognised that more faith support and education is beneficial to Believers in addition to the weekly worship. Man has not changed so much after all.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:00 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:35 pm

Pre-Communion fasting is one hour before Mass.

Heirbyadoption, funnily enough "Sunday School" (catechetical classes) were actually started in the Early Church though they were not called "Sunday School". I shall try to keep the explanation brief and avoid an entire treatise of history. It is past my bedtime. :lol:

In Catholic World, the terms religious education; catechetical classes; and Sunday School (if those classes meet on Sunday) are interchangeable. There are dozens of other names that have been used throughout history but in essence, this ministry ("classes" or "Bible studies" or "religious education") have always existed in some form in the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. I would hazard a guess that it was not always called "Sunday School" in some protestant circles either, especially if they do not meet on Sunday.

For me it is an affirmation that through the centuries it has been recognised that more faith support and education is beneficial to Believers in addition to the weekly worship. Man has not changed so much after all.
Makes sense. I would probably differentiate between catechetical classes and Sunday School as they exist in 21st century America. Thanks for clarifying, though!
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:07 am Makes sense. I would probably differentiate between catechetical classes and Sunday School as they exist in 21st century America. Thanks for clarifying, though!
You are welcome. By way of interest, how do you define and differentiate catechetical classes from Sunday School?

For Catholics, “catechesis” is the general term for it.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God