Sullymusic: Worship Among Mennonites

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones

Re: Sullymusic: Worship Among Mennonites

Post by ohio jones »

Is it possible for our nonconformed-practicing Mennos to gain a new vision for a truly vertical worship time? Is it possible that they can or will recognize a difference between true worship and honor and glorifying? Would you welcome a change in your service that would take a significant time to address the Godhead vertically and rehearse to them their greatness and worthiness for all they have provided in every way in love, mercy and grace? Do you think the Godhead would love to hear it to their face instead of just having the opportunity to sit in and listen to all that is being said of their greatness? Will you give this a fair evaluation and consider whether this would be of value to your fellowship? To borrow G. C. Donner’s phrase: Think about it!

Points to consider in the Sunday morning worship service:
Worship is strictly vertical.
Worship is to focus on and pay homage to a deity.
Worship is directed to God (addressing Him).
Worship is giving to God.
Worship is giving him the first fruits of our gratitude and praise.
Worship should be a holy time before the Lord.

Worship is not:
Going to church
Singing just any songs
Having Sunday school
Four part harmony
Having devotions
Having sharing time
Preaching
Posture in praying

Honoring and glorifying is horizontal always but is not inferior to worship.
Honoring and glorifying is telling each other what God has done for us.
Honor and glorifying is receiving from God.
Honor and glorifying is edifying each other in the church and in daily life.
Honor and glorifying is sharing Christ to the unsaved.
Honoring and glorifying is the end result of a redeemed life lived out in obedience to Christ and His word.
Honor and glorifying is expressed when we attempt to live holy, consistent lives.

Sylvan Ressler (1946-2016)
Leola, PA
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

God bless you and thank you for adding this.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Post by steve-in-kville »

I look forward to reading this in its entirety over the weekend. I gleaned over a few things and looks most interesting as it touches on some things I have always wondered about.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

I have passed this along to a few others, and I think with a little work it could be published and made required reading for worship leaders.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:36 pm I have passed this along to a few others, and I think with a little work it could be published and made required reading for worship leaders.

i imagine his family would appreciate the sentiment. (i imagine you know at least some of his family?) his fellowship?
are you related?

i recall how writing this was important to him, as if he was called to write it. it became his gift left for others.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:48 am
mike wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:36 pm I have passed this along to a few others, and I think with a little work it could be published and made required reading for worship leaders.

i imagine his family would appreciate the sentiment. (i imagine you know at least some of his family?) his fellowship?
are you related?

i recall how writing this was important to him, as if he was called to write it. it became his gift left for others.
Sully was actually a neighbor and friend to my grandfather, although I don’t think I knew it till after my grandfather passed away. And I found out last year that one of my son’s friends is his grandson.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Mike, what are a few of the ideas there that you find most helpful. I see a call away from mindless traditions toward a focused attentive posture in worship.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

barnhart wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:08 pm Mike, what are a few of the ideas there that you find most helpful. I see a call away from mindless traditions toward a focused attentive posture in worship.
The key idea that has influenced me from this essay is the idea that worship is what sully called "vertical" - directly addressing God. Our worship music ought to be primarily directly addressing God. Secondarily, it ought to be praising and glorifying him. You could think of music that exhorts, instructs, or expresses nice thoughts, sentiments, or emotions as being tertiary. I think about this at probably every worship service, and almost unconsciously rate music leaders on how well they do. :)
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:41 pm
barnhart wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:08 pm Mike, what are a few of the ideas there that you find most helpful. I see a call away from mindless traditions toward a focused attentive posture in worship.
The key idea that has influenced me from this essay is the idea that worship is what sully called "vertical" - directly addressing God.
Our worship music ought to be primarily directly addressing God.

Secondarily, it ought to be praising and glorifying him.
You could think of music that exhorts, instructs, or expresses nice thoughts, sentiments, or emotions as being tertiary.

I think about this at probably every worship service, and almost unconsciously rate music leaders on how well they do. :)

i think so. even using the word, “vertical” in the heading makes sense (?) -
“Sullymusic: Vertical Worship Among Mennonites”

on MD there were interesting discussions about vertical worship, the vertical aspect of faith. :

in my view, even the 10 Commandments have a vertical “flow.” especially modelled by Jesus.
He never failed to keep His Father First and Central. in His worst moments.

When we get His first commandment right, the others follow (i.e., the OT commandments).

Matthew 22:37-39
https://biblehub.com/matthew/22-38.htm
37Jesus declared, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
38This is the first and greatest commandment.

39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’…

when breaking the following commandments, this equates to breaking the first. we’ve slipped away from it. :(
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:53 pm even using the word, “vertical” in the heading makes sense (?) -
“Sullymusic: Vertical Worship Among Mennonites”
I'm not sure how comfortable he would have been with the Vertical Worship people, though. ;)
0 x