Post by Heirbyadoption »

It's a long "e", probably. :D
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Field Guide to Plain culture

Post by appleman2006 »

Heirbyadoption wrote:It's a long "e", probably. :D
The last name thing is something I had never noticed before it was mentioned on here a year or so ago. I had always assumed everyone just considered their last name as part of their identity. But since then I have stopped asking for it if it is not voluntarily offered. Still seems a bit weird to me but I guess that is what different cultures are about. I do not apologise for my culture but nor do I conscientiously try to mould others into mine if I can help it.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

For someone who is not culturally anabaptist and comes into the circle- especially by marriage- can be a bit disconcerting. I married into a Conservative Mennonite family and my name does not fit anyone's pigeon hole to place me in. In fact some even thought I was Jewish because I shared the same last name as a popular Jewish conductor. More often than not when we would visit with the larger family circle or people from my in law's church I got asked my maiden name. And as soon as they heard it they said- Oh and proceeded to either change the conversation or move on to speak with others. So the Mennonite/Anabaptist name game is probably not one of my favorite games and left me with some not so cozy feelings about trying to fit people into their slot. I understand they are trying to see if you are family or connected but there are ways to do that and not make the other person feel like they don't fit in, won't fit in or.......
So yes, the last name game is not one I am fond of.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

QuietlyListening wrote:For someone who is not culturally anabaptist and comes into the circle- especially by marriage- can be a bit disconcerting. I married into a Conservative Mennonite family and my name does not fit anyone's pigeon hole to place me in. In fact some even thought I was Jewish because I shared the same last name as a popular Jewish conductor. More often than not when we would visit with the larger family circle or people from my in law's church I got asked my maiden name. And as soon as they heard it they said- Oh and proceeded to either change the conversation or move on to speak with others. So the Mennonite/Anabaptist name game is probably not one of my favorite games and left me with some not so cozy feelings about trying to fit people into their slot. I understand they are trying to see if you are family or connected but there are ways to do that and not make the other person feel like they don't fit in, won't fit in or.......
Do people play the "Mennonite Game" in other cultures and denominations? I haven't personally encountered anything like it anywhere else but then most of my contact with other denominations has been Catholic and Baptist and those are both too big for that kind of game I think.

Both my mother and father have traditional Mennonite last names that you can find scattered around various Mennonite institutions so I can answer the question but it's never something I ask of anyone I meet. Mainly because it is so clannish.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
QuietlyListening

Then Mennonite name game was a totally new 'thing' to me and I have never run into it anywhere but in Mennonite circles.

I remember one time 3 of us non Mennonite women having fun playing the Mennonite name game in a very mocking way as we had all encountered the same thing- what is your maiden name- oh, and on they move to someone else or some other topic. Must say we had fun playing it that one time. And guess we were the only ones who understood. :D
0 x
DarkShallNotPrevail
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by DarkShallNotPrevail »

Ken wrote:
QuietlyListening wrote:For someone who is not culturally anabaptist and comes into the circle- especially by marriage- can be a bit disconcerting. I married into a Conservative Mennonite family and my name does not fit anyone's pigeon hole to place me in. In fact some even thought I was Jewish because I shared the same last name as a popular Jewish conductor. More often than not when we would visit with the larger family circle or people from my in law's church I got asked my maiden name. And as soon as they heard it they said- Oh and proceeded to either change the conversation or move on to speak with others. So the Mennonite/Anabaptist name game is probably not one of my favorite games and left me with some not so cozy feelings about trying to fit people into their slot. I understand they are trying to see if you are family or connected but there are ways to do that and not make the other person feel like they don't fit in, won't fit in or.......
Do people play the "Mennonite Game" in other cultures and denominations? I haven't personally encountered anything like it anywhere else but then most of my contact with other denominations has been Catholic and Baptist and those are both too big for that kind of game I think.

Both my mother and father have traditional Mennonite last names that you can find scattered around various Mennonite institutions so I can answer the question but it's never something I ask of anyone I meet. Mainly because it is so clannish.
The "Mennonite Game" is definitely played in COB/BRF circles. As the child of converts, it was very awkward when peers would try to figure out who I was related to. Another friend whose family was converted and I jokingly adopted each other as cousins so we could say we had connections (which was possible, with French Canadian backgrounds in both families).

At this stage though, I've married into a family whose last name is basically Hutterian royalty, so I'm pretty much set here on out :roll:
0 x
The meaning of life is to find your gift.
The purpose of life is to give it away.
-w.s.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

QuietlyListening wrote:In fact some even thought I was Jewish because I shared the same last name as a popular Jewish conductor.
Barenboim?
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
QuietlyListening

No one quite that illustrious. Think Boston. :D
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I heard recently that if you ask the right 5 questions, you can make a connection with anyone in the world. Either you both know somebody in the same city. You both know the same individual. Etc.

I can't find these questions online but I'm guessing that the Mennonite game is simply a variation of this.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote:I heard recently that if you ask the right 5 questions, you can make a connection with anyone in the world. Either you both know somebody in the same city. You both know the same individual. Etc.

I can't find these questions online but I'm guessing that the Mennonite game is simply a variation of this.
I see some truth here. The reason the conversation "moves on" when a blank is drawn could be they are simply looking for another area of connection since the last one failed.
0 x