Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mercysfree
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Re: Soups, stews, chili and gumbo!

Post by mercysfree »

15 bean soup
Chicken corn soup and rolls
Venison stew and cornbread
Chili and cinnamon rolls--This combo is from my husband's old elementary school.
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Yep.
0 x
Take the position that you're wrong, and your goal is to be less wrong over time. --Elon Musk
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

"Is grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup a Mennonite cultural thing? I never heard of this combo until someone made reference to it. Pennsylvania Dutch maybe?"

"ARE grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup..."
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Bill Rushby wrote:"Is grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup a Mennonite cultural thing? I never heard of this combo until someone made reference to it. Pennsylvania Dutch maybe?"

Thank you, sir. :hug: :D
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

I hope I didn't offend!
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Bill Rushby wrote:I hope I didn't offend!
I doubt it. I don't usually correct people's grammar unless I'm being paid to do it, or unless it's a person I'm responsible for training like my children. Or if I'm feeling contrarian. But it's always enjoyable to find a fellow grammarian.

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Stop writing alot.
I wouldn't want to say anything that might cause Bill to allot less of his time and energy to MN. I'd be happy to see him post a lot more.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bill Rushby wrote:"Is grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup a Mennonite cultural thing? I never heard of this combo until someone made reference to it. Pennsylvania Dutch maybe?"

I would defend the original as being grammatically correct. As written, the questioner is asking if the combination of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup is a Mennonite cultural thing. If the first part of the sentence is "corrected" as suggested, the remainder of the sentence would need to be corrected as well, as in "Are grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup Mennonite cultural things?" ;)
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

"Is this a thing?" is an idiom questioning whether something exists as a repeating phenomenon and/or as an element of culture or subculture. In that sense, the idiom itself is a thing. When pluralized, "are they a thing?" takes on a different meaning about the relationship (usually romantic) between "things." Absent a relationship of that nature between the two items in question, the singular form may be more appropriate, even if grammatically awkward.

If forced to use the idiom, I would reword it "Is the practice of eating grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup together a Mennonite cultural thing?"
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote:

I would defend the original as being grammatically correct. As written, the questioner is asking if the combination of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup is a Mennonite cultural thing. If the first part of the sentence is "corrected" as suggested, the remainder of the sentence would need to be corrected as well, as in "Are grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup Mennonite cultural things?" ;)
The plot (and possibly the soup) thickens... Or is it thicken?
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Reposted from FB:
Tonight I'm gonna have possum soup made from Himalayan possum, because I found Himalayan on the road.
0 x