Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Mayberry
Affiliation: Truly Conservative

Re: Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Post by Mayberry »

I am new here at MennoNet and am glad that the Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information forum exists.

Does anyone know of a conservative Mennonite (or maybe conservative Charity) church in the eastern part of Michigan. I am thinking straight north of Detroit and up to the Saginaw Bay area. I can’t seem to find much of anything.

Thanks!
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Mayberry wrote:I am new here at MennoNet and am glad that the Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information forum exists.

Does anyone know of a conservative Mennonite (or maybe conservative Charity) church in the eastern part of Michigan. I am thinking straight north of Detroit and up to the Saginaw Bay area. I can’t seem to find much of anything.

Thanks!
I will get back to you ASAP, I am at work right now

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus

Mayberry wrote:I am new here at MennoNet and am glad that the Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information forum exists.

Thanks!
That is because there is almost nothing there. Here are some suggestions:

Detroit Apostolic Christian Church
29575 Wentworth
Livonia, MI
10:30:00 AM

This is a church that is descended from "Frolich" churches. You may want to check them out. If you want more explanation this is a church that is Anabaptist, but from a much later movement.

Faith Mennonite Church
117 Marion St
Hillsdale, MI 49242
10:00:00 AM

This is the closest Mennonite church. You may find this somewhat like a Keystone or a Midwest Fellowship church.

There are a number of churches in Canada, that are fairly close, let me know if they interest you.

J.M.
1 x
Mayberry

Post by Mayberry »

Thanks for the reply. I tried the Hillsdale Mennonite church sometime back. It was okay and the people were certainly friendly, but I guess I was looking for something a little more consistent in dress and thinking. The women there were dressed in a variety of ways, from more formal to quite casual. There were head coverings, but the range went from a full veil to a small doily thing and a few with nothing. The men were dressed from Sunday-best to blue jean casual. Also, when I asked a number of individual members the same question I received quite a variety of responses. Answers were scarily different from person to person, with personal opinion sometimes weighing in much heavier than Scripture. They certainly did not all seem to be on the same page, as it is said.

I checked out the Detroit Apostolic Christian Church, but I think I am looking for a more bit more conservative group. I've also heard of Wislers, but from what I've heard they may be a tad too far for me. I've visited a few conservative Charity groups over the years, and I generally appreciated them. However, there just aren't any around here. Sigh.

What I have learned about myself is that I like small groups that can explain why they do what they do and walk together, not just talk-the-talk.

Yes, I am still looking and still learning!
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

Mayberry wrote:Thanks for the reply. I tried the Hillsdale Mennonite church sometime back. It was okay and the people were certainly friendly, but I guess I was looking for something a little more consistent in dress and thinking. The women there were dressed in a variety of ways, from more formal to quite casual. There were head coverings, but the range went from a full veil to a small doily thing and a few with nothing. The men were dressed from Sunday-best to blue jean casual. Also, when I asked a number of individual members the same question I received quite a variety of responses. Answers were scarily different from person to person, with personal opinion sometimes weighing in much heavier than Scripture. They certainly did not all seem to be on the same page, as it is said.

I checked out the Detroit Apostolic Christian Church, but I think I am looking for a more bit more conservative group. I've also heard of Wislers, but from what I've heard they may be a tad too far for me. I've visited a few conservative Charity groups over the years, and I generally appreciated them. However, there just aren't any around here. Sigh.

What I have learned about myself is that I like small groups that can explain why they do what they do and walk together, not just talk-the-talk.

Yes, I am still looking and still learning!
You do realize that not everyone there were necessarily members?

I will take another look. Are you willing to cross the river into Canada? Would a Church of God in Christ, Mennonite be of interest to you?

J.M.

J.M.
1 x
Mayberry

Post by Mayberry »

Church of God in Christ- Mennonite? Yes, I'd be quite willing to check it out sometime.

I suppose that some present at the Hillsdale church might have been non-members, but I was lead to believe it to be true that I was the only visitor. And perhaps some regular (non-member) attendees are no longer considered to be visitors per se. That ends my discussion concerning my visit. :)
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Mayberry wrote:Church of God in Christ- Mennonite? Yes, I'd be quite willing to check it out sometime.

I suppose that some present at the Hillsdale church might have been non-members, but I was lead to believe it to be true that I was the only visitor. And perhaps some regular (non-member) attendees are no longer considered to be visitors per se. That ends my discussion concerning my visit. :)
Across the river in Canada you will find:
The Pilgrim Church
6516 Main St
Comber, ON n0p 2j0
Canada

This would be identified as a "Charity" type church.

Southern Shores Congregation
240 Main St. W.
Kingsville, ON
Canada
Services: 10:00:00 AM

This would be Church of God in Christ, Mennonite

Josh can chime in here with some more info, but I suspect you will find a bit more uniformity here.

There is an Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church in the "Middle" of Michigan, would that interest you? It is quite conservative.

J.M.
1 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

There are several Indiana/Ohio Wisler churches in the "Thumb" area of Michigan. They are fairly conservative.
0 x
Mayberry

Post by Mayberry »

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I will be spending a bit of time traveling here and there --- for sure!
0 x
twinpines
Affiliation:

Post by twinpines »

I would be interested in knowing of any churches around the Iron River, MI area. I know of a charity church related church out in Dorchester, WI about 3hrs away and a Bethel fellowship church in Pelkie, just over an hour away. Are there any others? I also am in a situation where I live in two places. The other being out in the Dickinson, ND area. Are their churches out that direction? I know of a charity church in eastern SD but that is 5-6 hrs and a mennonite church in Rolla, ND as well as one in Belle Fourche, SD. Any others that I may be missing. I'd be especially interested in any charity style churches out in Montana. Thanks!
1 x