The NEW Non-resistance Poll

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Which statement closest represents your views on Christian participation in war and violence?

Total votes: 0

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The NEW Non-resistance Poll

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote: The Selective Service has made it clear that if you own an AR, you’re getting drafted, and if you’re really a CO, you’ll be happy to go to prison for the sake of your conscience.
Can you show me where this is in a legal document? I never heard of this before.
It was in the last conference call the Holdemans had with the SSS. CAM was also involved, so you could probably get transcript from them.

If there’s a draft, local draft board members will assemble and start drafting young men. (Do you know who your local draft board members are?) They will follow guidance from the SSS. You’ll have to convince someone who is a neighbour and probably knows who you are quite well.

Another outcome of the recent conference was that church membership will be irrelevant for determining CO status. Only individual convictions will matter.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: It was in the last conference call the Holdemans had with the SSS. CAM was also involved, so you could probably get transcript from them.
Find me that link, as I'm coming up dry on a search.

I'm gonna come off as being skeptic (because I am) but I've been hearing about these super-secret meetings between Mennonite leadership and the government for the past 25 years. Everything from social security exemption to selective service to private schools. But I never see proof of anything. Okay, there was one time the FBI meet with the local churches about drugs, but that was some years ago. True story.

And besides, CAM is just a tax haven for wealthy Mennonites* :angel (there's your conspiracy theory for the day!!)

*I was actually told that by someone!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote: It was in the last conference call the Holdemans had with the SSS. CAM was also involved, so you could probably get transcript from them.
Find me that link, as I'm coming up dry on a search.

I'm gonna come off as being skeptic (because I am) but I've been hearing about these super-secret meetings between Mennonite leadership and the government for the past 25 years. Everything from social security exemption to selective service to private schools. But I never see proof of anything. Okay, there was one time the FBI meet with the local churches about drugs, but that was some years ago. True story.

And besides, CAM is just a tax haven for wealthy Mennonites* :angel (there's your conspiracy theory for the day!!)

*I was actually told that by someone!
There’s no “link” to post, but you could probably contact CAM and find out more.
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Signtist wrote:Let’s say your neighbor is a single lady who is separated from her husband. He has a past of extreme violence. One night you see him enter her house, and from your place you can hear sounds that you know are not a loving discussion or even furniture being moved. You know something violent is happening. You can assume substance abuse, which means you’re dealing with someone as volatile and unreasonable as a wounded grizzly. Calling police is an option, but their response time makes them almost useless. You feel compelled to make sure she is fine. How do you respond?
I don't have any weapons anyway but I would gather up some friends and go over and find an excuse to stay if possible. If this was a potentially violent man I might bring a frying pan as a last resort/visible "weapon" so he would be less of a danger. I see my Christian duty as one that protects the lives and souls of others. Non-resistance does not mean non-intervention.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

This one should be brought to the top of the pile to give more folks a chance to participate in a series of polls I launched on the Anabaptist distinctive of: Non-resistance, Non-conformity, Headcovering.
0 x