Relating to Christmas

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Pick the answer that best describes how you relate to the Christmas holiday season.

Total votes: 0

Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Relating to Christmas

Post by Soloist »

It's the most wonderful time of the year! We fully participate in the Christmas season (lights Christmas trees, caroling, Santa, snow, community events, gift giving, etc.).
Without the last part of the first one that would be how I was raised. I'm now a stark number 4.
I would have a very hard time not judging someone who encouraged their children to believe in santa...
The songs about him, the traditional dressed santa... and on. Very pagan false god setup. Too easy to damage young ones faith with false gods and pretending they are real.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I voted #2 as a reflection of my family's practice; not my preference. Though all we have is a Christmas tree covered in homemade items. As the youngin,I'm pretty much subject to that for now. I imagine my future will look most like #3.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

when our children were young, it dawned on me, "Santa is a real idea."
Wade wrote: .. It is the most miserable time of year if I let it get to me.
it is the most miserable time of year for many, for different reasons. i think it's wise to remember this and be conscientious about others. remembering others helps keep perspective to keep going, as others struggle to keep going.

it's possible to be both grateful and hurting at the same time.
hold gratitude close. it will carry you.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

No. 4 has become fairly popular amongst some of the ultra-conservative churches. I see that mostly as a reaction to number 1. My parents were poor, but they always tried to have a nice Christmas for us. Some of my better family memories center around Christmas, and I want my children to have those as well.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

temporal1 wrote:when our children were young, it dawned on me, "Santa is a real idea."
it is the most miserable time of year for many, for different reasons. i think it's wise to remember this and be conscientious about others. remembering others helps keep perspective to keep going, as others struggle to keep going.

Maybe the culture where we live or what I grew up with is so different?

So keep in mind this is my experience and maybe the culture where you live is different from what I am going to say:

A person cannot partake in #1 & #2 without condoning and making everybody think that you encourage the lie of Santa Clause flying his sleigh of reindeer around the world in one night placing presents on Christmas trees for all the girls and boys.
Santa is all that Christmas is. The tree is only for Santa to put presents under, the lights are to attract Santa to your house, the decorations are to remind of Santa, Santa, Santa...
Santa coming down the chimney is a lie, and every liar will have his part in the lake of fire.

I don't have a single relative on my side that goes to church or that openly publicly confess that they are a Christian and the majority openly confess to atheism. So they often get pleasure arguing and to dig in wherever they think they can try to hurt.
So this time of year isn't miserable with the time we have with my wife and children but with nearly everybody else after a visit we have to sit down and explain truth to our children instead of lies and that Christmas isn't about Santa and getting drunk.
It is great to tell them truth but if we go around relatives that endorse Santa at every chance it isn't edifying.
I would love to choose #3 but since we don't have any family whose main theme is Christ, I couldn't see how I could pick #3 but wish I could...
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Wade wrote:
temporal1 wrote:when our children were young, it dawned on me, "Santa is a real idea."

Maybe the culture where we live or what I grew up with is so different?

So keep in mind this is my experience and maybe the culture where you live is different from what I am going to say:

A person cannot partake in #1 & #2 without condoning and making everybody think that you encourage the lie of Santa Clause flying his sleigh of reindeer around the world in one night placing presents on Christmas trees for all the girls and boys.
Santa is all that Christmas is. The tree is only for Santa to put presents under, the lights are to attract Santa to your house, the decorations are to remind of Santa, Santa, Santa...
Santa coming down the chimney is a lie, and every liar will have his part in the lake of fire.

I don't have a single relative on my side that goes to church or that openly publicly confess that they are a Christian and the majority openly confess to atheism. So they often get pleasure arguing and to dig in wherever they think they can try to hurt.
So this time of year isn't miserable with the time we have with my wife and children but with nearly everybody else after a visit we have to sit down and explain truth to our children instead of lies and that Christmas isn't about Santa and getting drunk.
It is great to tell them truth but if we go around relatives that endorse Santa at every chance it isn't edifying.
I would love to choose #3 but since we don't have any family whose main theme is Christ, I couldn't see how I could pick #3 but wish I could...
i was working on a reply, it was lost; possibly i took too long to compose? .. i'll revisit later.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Wade wrote:Santa is all that Christmas is. The tree is only for Santa to put presents under, the lights are to attract Santa to your house, the decorations are to remind of Santa, Santa, Santa...
Maybe I've missed something... But I don't really relate to this, and my mothers side is wayyyy too into Christmas. It seems that it's all mostly just about gaudy feel-good sights and sounds. Seems like it's materialistic culture to whom Santa is just an accessory.
I'd also be careful with hopping from Santa to hell in one sentence.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wade wrote:A person cannot partake in #1 & #2 without condoning and making everybody think that you encourage the lie of Santa Clause flying his sleigh of reindeer around the world in one night placing presents on Christmas trees for all the girls and boys.
I don't think so. We don't do Santa Claus, never have, always told our children Santa was a made up story and Jesus is real.

Don't you think this is the main reason for Christmas?
And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.” And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child. And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.
Is that something that Christians can legitimately celebrate?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I am between 2 and 3 - simply because caroling is a very popular activity in Hartville. Ever since I moved here 11 years ago Mennonite carollers have been a fixture. Back then I didn't know who they were but I did appreciate the singing on a cold snowy night, unexpectedly!
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:I am between 2 and 3 - simply because caroling is a very popular activity in Hartville. Ever since I moved here 11 years ago Mennonite carollers have been a fixture. Back then I didn't know who they were but I did appreciate the singing on a cold snowy night, unexpectedly!
Christmas carols/ hymns are a wonderful way to celebrate.. We love them!
0 x