Define "plain"

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Define "plain"

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

steve-in-kville wrote:Some recent threads got me thinking about this.... its a term we throw around here on the forums and also here locally. So what's your definition of the term 'plain"? Personally, I think it has a lot to do with where you place yourself on the *liberal/conservative* scale. There will always be people who are plainer than my wife and I. There will be people not as plain.

My wife has a few aunts and uncles that have been faithful members of the various brethren circles over the years. Some aunts wear their hair up in a covering 24/7. Some only wear them for church, hair down. The uncles range from plain suits to lapel suits and ties. I have a sister-in-law that ties her covering strings under her chin. I have a brother-in-law that wears suspenders.

So, define plain.
Is there such a thing a "Semi-Plain'?
0 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Is there such a thing a "Semi-Plain'?
I think so! It is called Moderate-conservative or Progressive Conservative. :)
When I was a boy these constituencies were called half-Plain / not very Plain, respectively.

I'm not judging these constituencies for this, just defining. People might use one of these labels for me as well.

Now if someone said that I was not "plain", that would be concerning to me because I do try to live a "plain" life according to Wade's list.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I do appreciate some effort put in to defining Plain.
I've heard people say their inexpensive gold wedding band is plain... The problem is WHO defines plain? I think this example maybe be appropriate to how the world around us defines being plain, and if so I would not fit in that plain because it is not how scripture defines it.

And as far as not drawing attention, I was thinking on that today as we walked down Baker Street in Nelson, where the only norm is alternative (peircings, tattoos, strange clothing, bright colors, purple hair, etc
, etc.). I was walking behind my family watching the little ones and couldn't help but notice we received continual strange looks from people like there was something wrong with us... We were all in big winter jackets today and snow boots as it was snowing this morning, so it isn't like our clothing was on such display... I don't really know what to say about just being plain and simple and the massive contrast it is to the world? But I'm not about to start wearing gold, defacing my God giving body, grow long dreadlocks, and protest only organic vegan non-GMO while smoking marijuana plus taking all sorts of chemical drugs so that we can fit in and not draw attention to ourselves on Baker Street...

The street below has a massive picture of Steve Martin! :P Wrong one though. :lol:
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Appleman isn't known in Nelson?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:Appleman isn't known in Nelson?
:o :shock:
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

My thoughts on 'plain' -

How did Jesus refer to 'attention drawing' - “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." We no doubt are meant to draw attention to the light within us through good works.

God didn't make a boring, colourless, basic, non-complex world for us to live in and made people with beautiful hair colours, eye colours, various skin tones, etc and gifted them in areas of music and art and writing and intelligence, etc, etc. So, I have trouble when any 'plain' concept drifts into a drab, black & white presentation of Christianity. One of the most attractive features of a Christ follower is their amazing love, peace and joy under any circumstance. Loving the most unloving in the world's eyes. These are the areas I think of that impacts the world to see Christianity as not about what you give up but rather what you have found.

Whether one wears a form of traditional wear or a modern outfit, I doubt this is making much impression on pointing others to Jesus. But a life of good works lived in the abundant life Jesus spoke about where our joy will be complete and our peace beyond human understandings and love for even those who see us as enemies, now that will make them sit up and take notice.

I don't ever want to be classified as a 'plain' Christian if that means a religious person who is mainly about restricting enjoying this life. One can view the Christian life as a life of suffering and endurance of those sufferings. Or a life of suffering that just makes the abundance of God's grace shine out through us in a joyful, fearless, loving and peaceful way.

I'm not there yet but I believe this is what a life walking in the power of the Holy Spirit was intended for us to experience.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
quietpilgrim
Affiliation: Charity

Post by quietpilgrim »

Why do we as conservatives typically limit our definition of "plain" to outward appearances (especially women's attire) and vehicles, but won't typically judge the "plain-ness" of houses, farm equipment, high-tech gadgetry, and business marketing tactics, which are often times just as fancy, if not fancier, than the rest of their neighbors?

If the plain people have lost their plain-ness, wherewith shall they be plain people?
0 x
Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου, διαφορὰ δὲ πολλὴ μεταξὺ τῶν δύο ὁδῶν. (Διδαχή των Δώδεκα Αποστόλων)
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

quietpilgrim wrote:Why do we as conservatives typically limit our definition of "plain" to outward appearances (especially women's attire) and vehicles, but won't typically judge the "plain-ness" of houses, farm equipment, high-tech gadgetry, and business marketing tactics, which are often times just as fancy, if not fancier, than the rest of their neighbors?

If the plain people have lost their plain-ness, wherewith shall they be plain people?
In Holdeman circles there is busy judgment of such things, along with judgment of activities such as ski vacations, etc.

And that’s all without a concept of “plain” at all. I think we’d do better to focus on being a “peculiar” people.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote:
quietpilgrim wrote:Why do we as conservatives typically limit our definition of "plain" to outward appearances (especially women's attire) and vehicles, but won't typically judge the "plain-ness" of houses, farm equipment, high-tech gadgetry, and business marketing tactics, which are often times just as fancy, if not fancier, than the rest of their neighbors?

In Holdeman circles there is busy judgment of such things, along with judgment of activities such as ski vacations, etc.

And that’s all without a concept of “plain” at all. I think we’d do better to focus on being a “peculiar” people.
Personally, I'd say it would be better to say some Holdeman do that. Some are also very big into wealth just like everyone else.

We can't judge an entire denomination the same, either good or bad.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:

What I bolded - that word 'peculiar' can be taken as something different than what I understood it in my youth. I thought of it more as Christians are to be viewed as odd balls when that is not what is meant and the KJV has been updated to present what was intended to be understood. NKJV says “His own special people.”

http://www.awordfromtheword.org/a-peculiar-people

In the Titus 2:14 verse - "who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works."

The characteristic here of us being a special people (peculiar) is that we are zealous of doing good works.

The Message paraphrase puts 1 Peter 2:9-10 this way - "But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted."

Not only are we chosen to be holy and zealous of good works but also given a priestly work of speaking about the marvelous work of grace God has done in us.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit