High Demand Religions?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: High Demand Religions?

Post by Szdfan »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:58 pm I personally don't care for the term we often use at church meals called 'potluck'. I prefer 'fellowsip meal'. There are various religions that believe in luck, good or bad, but Christianity does not believe the world is a big game of chance. Scripture talks more in terms of election, foreknowledge and predestination. Just a preference of mine to avoid being associated with chance.
Interesting. I looked up the etymology and origins of "potluck."

https://www.potluck.us/blog/what-is-a-p ... al%20times.
The term “potluck” is believed to date back to the 16th century, when Thomas Nashe wrote in his stage drama Summer’s Last Will and Testament: “A good fellow is a good fellow, though he have never a penny in his purse. We had but even a pot-luck, a little to moisten our lips, and no more.”

As far back as the 1500s, men and women were known to save their leftover food should an unexpected guest arrive at their door. Excess food would be stored in a pot and kept warm in order to serve a guest on short notice. That guest was left to the “luck of the pot” should he or she seek something to eat. The practice was particularly common in medieval times.

History dates the modern version of the potluck back to the 1930s during the Great Depression, when food was scarce and rationed as a result. To experience more variety in one’s diet, communities would gather together and hold a potluck in order to enjoy the different types of food in each other’s pantry.

Over time, the term “potluck” has taken on other names as well, including: Jacob’s Supper, Faith Supper, Dish Party, Shared Lunch, Pitch-In or Fellowship Meal.
While "luck" (as in "happiness" or "good fortune") might be a part of it, the origins of the term are also rooted in hospitality and communal survival.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

It's funny how motivational speakers trade buzz words. One will invent or repurpose a term and soon after all of them are using it.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:58 pm I personally don't care for the term we often use at church meals called 'potluck'. I prefer 'fellowsip meal'.
That label works okay for soup and coffee, but not so much if the menu is casseroles, orange carrot jello, and pies.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:58 pm
I personally don't care for the term we often use at church meals called 'potluck'. I prefer 'fellowsip meal'. There are various religions that believe in luck, good or bad, but Christianity does not believe the world is a big game of chance. Scripture talks more in terms of election, foreknowledge and predestination. Just a preference of mine to avoid being associated with chance.
I believe this is the first time I have been able to use the puzzled emoji. :?

I am unsure of the connection between election predestination and whether or not I can get in line fast enough to the potato salad before it is gone. In my pic, it depends on how fast on my feet I am that day; compared to the little children who scoop up the last bits of favorite dishes faster than a mid-life crisis car driven by a granny scooping the yard sales on Fridays.

Forget about the hot buttered rolls or a decent serving of crab salad. Gone. Kaput.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:43 pm
I personally don't care for the term we often use at church meals called 'potluck'. I prefer 'fellowsip meal'. There are various religions that believe in luck, good or bad, but Christianity does not believe the world is a big game of chance. Scripture talks more in terms of election, foreknowledge and predestination. Just a preference of mine to avoid being associated with chance.

I am unsure of the connection between election predestination and whether or not I can get in line fast enough to the potato salad before it is gone. In my pic, it depends on how fast on my feet I am that day; compared to the little children who scoop up the last bits of favorite dishes faster than a mid-life crisis car driven by a granny scooping the yard sales on Fridays.

Forget about the hot buttered rolls or a decent serving of crab salad. Gone. Kaput.
We had a pastor at the MB church who would be the last to get in line at a 'potluck' meal as he believed he was following Romans 12:10 - 'Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another' and whatever was left by the time he had opportunity to fill his plate, that was fine with him. I suppose if we all took that approach, none of us would get to eat. :)

The reference to election and predestination was with regard to the belief that nothing happens outside of God's will. So, when I get to fill my plate and what I like the most is gone, then in some way that was God's will and not some other overriding force.

https://catholickey.org/2023/02/06/on-t ... f%20chance.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:28 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:43 pm

We had a pastor at the MB church who would be the last to get in line at a 'potluck' meal as he believed he was following Romans 12:10 - 'Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another' and whatever was left by the time he had opportunity to fill his plate, that was fine with him. I suppose if we all took that approach, none of us would get to eat. :)

The reference to election and predestination was with regard to the belief that nothing happens outside of God's will. So, when I get to fill my plate and what I like the most is gone, then in some way that was God's will and not some other overriding force.

https://catholickey.org/2023/02/06/on-t ... f%20chance.
Interesting. In my perspective I find that definitions can change in morphological constructs to reference to a larger concept.

In Catholic World, while we do not teach belief in luck per se and rather instead to trust in God's Will, we also recognise the cultural aspects of linguistic nomenclature. If we reference a "fellowship meal", that is an event that includes some form of teaching and prayers and often includes a planned menu. Conversely "potluck" is a term that references a social gathering involving food brought by others instead of a definitively planned menu.

Like the term "free-for-all" does not necessarily mean a literal "free of cost" definition but can mean an unruly, chaotic event. While I have attended community potlucks that devolved into a free-for-all chaos, I can attest that it was my guardian angel that stood between myself and harm on those occasions.

All in all, our parish potlucks (we do enjoy that alliterative title to be sure) are rather sedate events but there have been times when families who neglected the lessons in courtesy and manners for their children have created problems for the older parish members. In order to keep a congenial social setting, the ladies of the kitchen have arranged for the older parishioners and the priest to be able to process through the buffet of delectables before the children. The priest often does not stay long before he is having to leave on a call to the sick or to attend to a person who is having a crisis. Another method employed by the ladies of the kitchen is to create a separate buffet for the children so that all of the adults may be able to access more than broken crackers or Aunt Fanny's questionable black-eyed peas for their meals.

At the end of the day, I accept God's Will but I also accept the willingness of others to act as God's agents and let me through the buffet first. After all is said and done, I think Matthew 6:1 does inform my position. In short, I do not make a fuss nor sermon from it.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:52 pm In Catholic World, while we do not teach belief in luck per se and rather instead to trust in God's Will, we also recognise the cultural aspects of linguistic nomenclature. If we reference a "fellowship meal", that is an event that includes some form of teaching and prayers and often includes a planned menu. Conversely "potluck" is a term that references a social gathering involving food brought by others instead of a definitively planned menu.
Interesting. The last meal I went to at a Catholic church after a service was in the basement on Pentecost Sunday last year; it was referred to as a "potluck". There was no teaching taking place during the meal. Prayers were performed by individuals at their own discretion as they sat down to eat.
All in all, our parish potlucks (we do enjoy that alliterative title to be sure) are rather sedate events but there have been times when families who neglected the lessons in courtesy and manners for their children have created problems for the older parish members. In order to keep a congenial social setting, the ladies of the kitchen have arranged for the older parishioners and the priest to be able to process through the buffet of delectables before the children. The priest often does not stay long before he is having to leave on a call to the sick or to attend to a person who is having a crisis. Another method employed by the ladies of the kitchen is to create a separate buffet for the children so that all of the adults may be able to access more than broken crackers or Aunt Fanny's questionable black-eyed peas for their meals.
That's also interesting. The priest was definitely at the potluck but he changed out of his priestly garb to attend and so simply looked like any other parishioner or visitor (such as myself). There was no special arrangement of letting specific people go in line first. He also did not have to jump and leave first due to no need to attend to someone suddenly sick or having a crisis at 12:45 PM on a Sunday, but perhaps this parish is unusually well staffed?
0 x
Arnold33_09
Affiliation: Alien

Post by Arnold33_09 »

Basically, it's used to describe religions or groups that have really strict rules and expectations, where it's like you're all in or you're out. Think Amish, Scientology, or some extreme cults.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:55 pm
Sudsy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:58 pm I personally don't care for the term we often use at church meals called 'potluck'. I prefer 'fellowsip meal'.
That label works okay for soup and coffee, but not so much if the menu is casseroles, orange carrot jello, and pies.
I don't think we should complain about free food. Don't bite the hand that feeds you :D
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:13 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:45 am
Another term that I heard twice last week was "imposter syndrome." That was a new one for me.
That is new to me as well. It sounds to me like a similar attempt to denigrate and demonise a person or group. If we are to reach out with the Gospel with credibility, I do not think that coining phrases and labeling groups we do not like will comply with that mission. Pastors and members who choose to rail against others and create discord are undermining their own mission to preach salvation through Jesus Christ. I have seen leadership from many denominations slip into this behavior.

Addendum: just went to my psychology websites and discovered that “imposter syndrome” is a new term being tossed about, much akin to the way in which the term “co-dependent” was bandied some years ago. All of these terms are appearing after I retired.

I am still bothered by the periodic sudden appearance of new labels for the reasons below. Many are attached to newly published books by individuals who seek money, tenure or both. Coin a new label and one is invited to talk shows and interviews with popular magazines with commensurate pay checks.

I can honestly say that some labels only serve some clinical purposes but I do not believe they should be tossed about around potlucks and parties. In my experiences, I certainly do not believe they serve the Gospel.
I spent time at a church that did a lot of fellowship meals together, at least one "potluck" a week. There was a gentleman at the church who called them "pot providence" meals. It showed God's providence instead of "luck", and it was an alliteration to boot. He said it half-serious, half in jest. It never caught on with everyone, but he got some of the others trying to use the term.
1 x