Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Shenandoah Christian Music Camp

Post by Ernie »

A thread to discuss the impact and gifts of Shenandoah Christian Music Camp

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SCMC
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Re: Shenandoah Christian Music Camp

Post by Ernie »

What songs from their recordings are your favorites?

Here are some of ours:

Our Father:

Joyful Joyful:

Give to our God Immortal Praise:

Indodana:
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Tomorrow is the 2024 Virginia ChoralFest. Our daughters are singing in the youth choir.

Bridgewater Church of the Brethren | You are all welcome to attend.
Some masterpieces this year so it is a good year to attend.

Here is a link to the bulletin for tomorrow.
https://www.plainnews.org/wp-content/up ... lletin.pdf

On Sunday, June 9, more than 100 students (children and adults) will be singing songs in the afternoon from 3:00-5:00 ET, and again in the evening from 6:30 – 8:30. Seven different choirs will be singing. Below is a Livestream link if you are interested in listening. If you only listen to part of the program, I suggest listening to the last two choirs. (Youth Choir and Mass Choir)
https://www.youtube.com/@SCMC/streams

Lloyd Kauffman is conducting the mass choir at 80 years old. Still spry and energetic and his ears appear to be as keen as 30 years ago.
This year he is using/conducting one of his most recent arrangements for the first time. It is a classic. (Vesper Prayer)
One of these times he will conduct for the last time, so this is a good time to come if you want to see him in action.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

This is something I would like to take out family too. It's hard to carve out time for everything.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

I have been this week. Last mixed choir.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: we weren’t able to do it when they came to Halsey out in Oregon, but that was a pretty fun program. I think my favorite would be Blind Bartimaeus which someone else can post on here. they had all the Halsey school children and some of my homeschooling friends involved in it, and parking that night was insane and down surrounding blocks. do they still do traveling camps or was that just the Covid era thing?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:22 pm Wife: we weren’t able to do it when they came to Halsey out in Oregon, but that was a pretty fun program. I think my favorite would be Blind Bartimaeus which someone else can post on here. they had all the Halsey school children and some of my homeschooling friends involved in it, and parking that night was insane and down surrounding blocks. do they still do traveling camps or was that just the Covid era thing?
No, traveling camps are still a thing. I know of one in Kansas. Keep an eye on their website.
0 x
:hug:
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:54 am This is something I would like to take out family too. It's hard to carve out time for everything.
I had a nice visit with your brother at the Music Camp program this evening.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

undershepherd wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:28 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:54 am This is something I would like to take out family too. It's hard to carve out time for everything.
I had a nice visit with your brother at the Music Camp program this evening.
His children can really sing. Wish I could have been there.
1 x
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

I have had a front row seat since the very beginning of SCMC. Although it wasn't my brainchild, I was involved in the initial planning for the very first music camp in 2006 and was heavily involved for many years. My wife was the secretary at the music camp for 12 years and my daughter is now filling that role for the past two years.

One of the primary motivations for starting SCMC was the concern that young people didn't appreciate good music and the music they were listening to was not wholesome or healthy. I imagine that for a long time, the older generation has had this concern for the younger generation and their choices of music. This was nothing new. But in the words of one of the founders of SCMC, it was time to quit cursing the darkness and light a candle instead.

That first music camp in 2006 was built on dreams. Dreams of a place where young people could really get excited about singing and God honoring music. Dreams of a place where instructors could get financially rewarded for their contributions to music in the Anabaptist world instead of working for free. Dreams of improvements in congregational singing and instruction in local church schools. Those dreams were turned into reality by an army of volunteers and a very enthusiastic group of students. Most of us had no idea how big this would turn out to be, but there were clues even that first year. Many people drove for hours and crammed into standing room only for the final concert to see what the buzz was all about.

As I listened to the 2024 VA music camp program today, I was struck by a number of things. First of all, SCMC has had a huge impact on the Anabaptist world over the past 18 years. The musical ability of the children's and youth choirs today would equal or surpass the adult choirs in the early years of music camp. These children and youth have never known a time when there wasn't a music camp. Many of their parents attended music camp over the past 18 years. Quite a few of them have been taught music in their home church or school by a teacher who attended music camp.

Another thing that still amazes me after all these years is how "ecumenical" SCMC has been and continues to be. When it was originally started, we worked really hard to include representatives from a wide variety of Anabaptist churches. Some church leaders really put their reputations on the line and took a bunch of heat for being involved in those early years. We owe them a lot. Today there are students and teachers from an even wider variety of Anabaptist churches. I don't know of any other activity or organization in the Anabaptist world that involves such a variety of flavors. I think this is a very valuable aspect of SCMC.

Of special interest to me was the fact that many of the instructors and staff at music camp today were attendees in those early years. Some of them have went on to become quite accomplished musicians, composers, and music teachers. I doubt this would have happened without SCMC. It is good to see what many people thought was just a fad in the early days develop into a mature organization where leadership has been passed down to another generation of leaders and musicians who are a product of SCMC.

And of course it is so good to see legends in the Anabaptist music world like Lloyd Kauffman have a place to flourish and contribute even in their retirement years. Whenever we had outside consultants in to evaluate SCMC they would always comment about the quality of instructors. The initial instructor invitations went out to the best that the Anabaptist world had to offer and they turned up and continue to invest in SCMC.

Quit cursing the darkness. Go light a candle. You never know how big a flame that might grow into.
3 x