Alright ladies, your turn!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Alright ladies, your turn!

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:29 am Following the men's beard thread, time for one for our female constituents.

Guys are free to speak for their wives and/or church standards pertaining to such topic.

Do you have written or unwritten standards for:

1- Hairstyles?

2- Headcovering shape or style?

3- The use of makeup?

4- The dying of hair?

5- Other stuff on your head that isn't a "covering" (ribbons, bows, etc.)
Wife: One standard that we have about hair would be not cutting it, which most people would consider not cutting at all, although apparently some do trim split ends or something like that. We’re not splitting ends about it and I doubt the Pilgrim police are investigating. The few I know of might just be headache pain for all I know, but I had an interesting conversation with one of the seekers about it because she apparently didn’t know that anyone held the totally uncut hair stance. My previous church was more particular about it, but it probably also was because we asked the bishop, and I no longer actually get headaches as long as I don’t put it up wet or too low. I’m blessed to have never had a migraine in my life though, although I did deal with the tension headaches because I have thick hair and wasn’t used to having it long.

Otherwise, hypothetically no worldly hairstyles, but I often see hair strategically hanging out by youth, and it’s a free-for-all for children. I don’t usually see ribbons or super flashy barrettes, but some times headbands to keep hair back and usually various sorts of braids, and of course, the Mennonite Fountain on babies and toddlers.

We would wear caps, most people would have them opaque. I don’t think dyed hair would be allowed, and makeup is a no. I don’t really see people with obviously shaped eyebrows in our circles, although I doubt anyone cares about unibrow or other hair removal, or if they did, it would just be their family’s conviction.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

But wouldn't women with a mustache and beard be wearing things pertaining to men?

So I would think they should shave it off.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Somebody wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:16 pm But wouldn't women with a mustache and beard be wearing things pertaining to men?

So I would think they should shave it off.
Interesting point. And we are told that there needs to be a distinction between men and women. Which is why conservative Anabaptist's discourage slacks on women.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Neto wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:37 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:50 am I also had an aunt that had this issue and I think she got an estrogen treatment that resolved it. She was a good looking women (if I'm allowed to say that about my aunt) but the facial hair was a bit of a distraction :(
Was it approved for her to identify as a plural entity? :hug:
Good catch 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:18 pmthe Bible's prohibition against women cutting any hair...
This isn't directed at Josh per se, just a question for anybody since it comes up in this sort of thread. I get overreaching Menno tradition in well-meant efforts to apply principles, but is there anybody here who truly believes (I am not asking mockingly, honest) that the Bible literally teaches that women must have UNCUT hair, and if so, how do you get that out of 1 Corinthians 11 or any other place in Scripture? I'm all for women having long hair, and I get that hyper-logicalism suggests that "uncut hair" is inherently "long, but is there anybody here who is willing to say they literally believe that this teaching is actually Scriptural, and if so, could you explain it to me from said Scripture? While having grown up in an Old Order group, we never had "uncut" hair requirements, only teaching that women should have long hair as opposed to men, so when I started mingling with Mennos it was honestly a bit of a puzzler, as they would always state uncut hair as a Scriptural teaching, rather than anybody ever openly stating that it's just an extra-biblical application requirement rooted in the biblical teaching for women to have long hair... :? :? :?
2 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:19 am
Josh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:18 pmthe Bible's prohibition against women cutting any hair...
This isn't directed at Josh per se, just a question for anybody since it comes up in this sort of thread. I get overreaching Menno tradition in well-meant efforts to apply principles, but is there anybody here who truly believes (I am not asking mockingly, honest) that the Bible literally teaches that women must have UNCUT hair, and if so, how do you get that out of 1 Corinthians 11 or any other place in Scripture? I'm all for women having long hair, and I get that hyper-logicalism suggests that "uncut hair" is inherently "long, but is there anybody here who is willing to say they literally believe that this teaching is actually Scriptural, and if so, could you explain it to me from said Scripture? While having grown up in an Old Order group, we never had "uncut" hair requirements, only teaching that women should have long hair as opposed to men, so when I started mingling with Mennos it was honestly a bit of a puzzler, as they would always state uncut hair as a Scriptural teaching, rather than anybody ever openly stating that it's just an extra-biblical application requirement rooted in the biblical teaching for women to have long hair... :? :? :?
Is the addition/interpretation of "uncut hair" in relation to the Biblical principle that "a woman should have long hair" an example of legalism?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Wife: It’s from first Corinthians 11:6 I think, and I’m sure the Pentecostals have a good writeup on it. There might also be some historical stuff about it or something. I don’t personally think it means 100% uncut, but I also don’t think it overly matters, and if someone thinks that it does mean that, then they should go off of that. There were a couple of old ladies out west, who were talking about how, now that their hair is thinning, they have to wrap some of the strands around quite a long time when they do their bun, but they seem to believe it’s cutting their glory otherwise, so I don’t mind. The seeker in question was talking about how she knew that the homeschooling lady (nonmember), has hair down near her feet, and when she asked about it, the lady said, “why would I want to cut my glory?”
I am a little sad that I cut my hair so much when I was young (btw I look terrible with really short hair), because it would be kind of fun to see how long it could go, and it would be pretty, but for all I know, God allowed a maximum limit for me so that I don’t have to deal with headaches again. 😝 A few of my friends at the agape church cut it when it gets too heavy, and a few believe in uncut hair, but they don’t actually have a standard on it.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

silentreader wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:57 am
Is the addition/interpretation of "uncut hair" in relation to the Biblical principle that "a woman should have long hair" an example of legalism?
Wife: Perhaps if they have a holier than thou attitude about it. Otherwise, it is just a matter of conscience. It depends on where you are on the graph as to what is considered legalism or not.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I think that interpreting the word "shorn" 1 Cor. 11:6 as referring to cutting the hair is a reasonable interpretation. So I wouldn't call it legalism. Perhaps a better example of legalism would be arguing that it's OK for a woman to cut her hair provided she doesn't cut it short because "it doesn't specifically say that a woman shall not cut her hair."
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:03 pm
I think that interpreting the word "shorn" 1 Cor. 11:6 as referring to cutting the hair is a reasonable interpretation. So I wouldn't call it legalism. Perhaps a better example of legalism would be arguing that it's OK for a woman to cut her hair provided she doesn't cut it short because "it doesn't specifically say that a woman shall not cut her hair."
There are numerous readings in numerous translations relating to "shorn". There are different interpretations of what "shorn" should mean when reading
translations where "shorn" is used. I don't know what is the most accurate terminology.
Here is one translation...
2 Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ. 4 Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying, shames his head. 5 But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying, shames her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut short. But if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut short or her head shaved, let her cover her head. 7 For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God, but the woman is the glory of man.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown