Unwritten, yet commonly understood rules/standards/beliefs that your church has?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Re: Unwritten, yet commonly understood rules/standards/beliefs that your church has?

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Ken wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:43 pm But is it a WRITTEN or UNWRITTEN rule, that's the important question!
In my case it was unwritten
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Unwritten, yet commonly understood rules/standards/beliefs that your church has?

Post by Josh »

Some guy in Australia who admired Easterns republished an article in his newsletter about the importance of buttoning all the buttons on one’s plain coat, based on a principle that “if something useful is there, it should be used”.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:49 am Some guy in Australia who admired Easterns republished an article in his newsletter about the importance of buttoning all the buttons on one’s plain coat, based on a principle that “if something useful is there, it should be used”.
I understand not all of them, it works better sitting if the bottom one isn’t done, I understand not the top one, but I really don’t understand only the top one… :shock:
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:47 am
Josh wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:49 am Some guy in Australia who admired Easterns republished an article in his newsletter about the importance of buttoning all the buttons on one’s plain coat, based on a principle that “if something useful is there, it should be used”.
I understand not all of them, it works better sitting if the bottom one isn’t done, I understand not the top one, but I really don’t understand only the top one… :shock:
Perhaps it is being non-conforming to what most 'worldly' people do. Part of the 'come out from among them' practise ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Someone made a rule that people needed to button the top button. The rule never went away but people quit buttoning the rest of them. Nowadays it’s a bit of an OOM custom.
1 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

You could button more, but at least the top one needed to be buttoned. Where I attended formerly a lot of folks only buttoned the bottom 1-3 buttons on a straight-cut suit.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:01 pmWhere I attended formerly a lot of folks only buttoned the bottom 1-3 buttons on a straight-cut suit.
That practice is what led to lay-down lapel coats. Ever unfold the collar of a laydown-lapel coat and see what it looks like?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

I noticed a while ago our minister was the only one buttoning the top one while everyone else left them all unbuttoned. What I noticed is that all unbuttoned looks unkept, sloppy, trendy, and undisciplined to me. I felt convicted to button the top one to be decent and orderly. But that is my own opinion - others can see it differently.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Josh

Post by Josh »

In Holdeman circles people wear ordinary suit coats and generally don’t button them. However, wearing a suit coat generally means one buttons their top shirt button.

This is entirely customary and nobody is “required” to wear a suit. A preacher may get up preach in khaki pants, a dark coloured shirt, and not have the top button buttoned.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

It has always interested me in how groups with a corporate identity continue those “little traditions” as a part of that identity. I see it all the time among monastic communities and religious institutes in Catholic World. My conjecture is that these little traditions help the group’s sense of purpose and identity.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God