Should I Have Accepted the Money?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Should I Have Accepted the Money?

Post by ohio jones »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:39 pm Whereas, a class action lawsuit consists of a group of aggrieved individuals banding together to sue a particular person or company. I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that a person cannot be included in the class action suit against his will - there will always be the option to opt-out of being a plaintiff in the suit.
Yes, opting out should always be an option. However, it requires that you are aware of the class action and take specific action to opt out. Most of us have probably been in a class action lawsuit simply because we didn't know about it. Also, opting out preserves your right to sue individually, and depending on the size of the claim may result in lawyers pestering you for representation.

I would see a difference between passively remaining in the class and actively registering for benefits under the suit (which I have done in some cases, so I don't necessarily think it's always wrong). Often, only those who register actually receive anything; those who are in the class but do not apply for the benefits are basically just giving up their right to sue separately.

Even when the class is narrow enough and easily identified, so that everyone receives the benefits without having to register, the suit isn't being conducted in your name, but on behalf of the class.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited