When the wife wears the pants...

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: When the wife wears the pants...

Post by Neto »

justme wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:36 pm wouldn't that kind of be like the suicide thot process?
pain and despair and the only apparent way to end the pain is thru death?
and so the choice is made to hurry up the process?
I hadn't thought of it from that perspective, but yes, I suppose that's basically what she was encouraging him to do. (But just passing the 'knife' on to God.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

From who should be making the coffee.... to taking one's own life.... in maybe 5 replies. Can't make it up :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Of course this is basically trying to open the debate.

Yes the wife should submit to her husband. Feminism has destroyed women and ruined families.
She should be a keeper at home and a strong role model to the younger women.
There ya go.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Chris wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:20 pm Of course this is basically trying to open the debate.

Yes the wife should submit to her husband. Feminism has destroyed women and ruined families.
There ya go.
There will, of course, be exceptions to this, but this should be the norm. We need look no further than present day society to understand why the Bible teaches this as so important.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:42 am
Chris wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:20 pm Of course this is basically trying to open the debate.

There ya go.
There will, of course, be exceptions to this, but this should be the norm. We need look no further than present day society to understand why the Bible teaches this as so important.
agree.
believing, as you say, God designs with perfection, He designs with “breathing room” that allows His Truth to not die/be killed in rigid legalism. His Word, the ONE inspired Bible we have, serves all in all circumstances, all geography, all climates.

the world literally has buildings FULL of human law! still inadequate and incomplete.

ONE inspired Bible.
right there, nothing short of a miracle. God provides in all circumstances.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:42 am There will, of course, be exceptions to this, but this should be the norm. We need look no further than present day society to understand why the Bible teaches this as so important.
I would pull back from calling those who do not fit well into this rule an exception. I would use the words generally, women are made by God, nature, and natural selection to have children and nurture them. This does not mean the woman can not fill roles of guidance and responsibility beyond that. Many do. The raise of single parent families because men are not stepping up with their responsibilities are easy evidence of this. Many women must take on leadership roles. Some come by it naturally, especially later in life. This could be because their role as nurturer abates about 40 and a new role is needed and they develop new strengths and gifts for them to move towards.

God is not wasteful. He would not say, well at 40, you can't make more babies so there is not really anything left for you. God sees needs and gives people gifts and strength to fill those needs. Why would He waste 50% of the population of women and 50% of that group that is over 40 and just say, you just eat and use up resources but have no purpose.

Nope. I see much need for women over 40, and it has little to do with having babies. They shift to new roles. Some is in leadership. Some in community building. Some in teaching. There are so many places women fill and help us survive as a species way past just having babies. Shame on us men for not validating and recognizing these roles and the need for them.

I do not feel I exaggerate when I say we, as a society and a species, would not exist if it was not for women over 40. Yet, many do everything they can to keep them in a box and limit their gifts from manifesting.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:37 am
Josh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:42 am There will, of course, be exceptions to this, but this should be the norm. We need look no further than present day society to understand why the Bible teaches this as so important.
I would pull back from calling those who do not fit well into this rule an exception. I would use the words generally, women are made by God, nature, and natural selection to have children and nurture them. This does not mean the woman can not fill roles of guidance and responsibility beyond that. Many do. The raise of single parent families because men are not stepping up with their responsibilities are easy evidence of this. Many women must take on leadership roles. Some come by it naturally, especially later in life. This could be because their role as nurturer abates about 40 and a new role is needed and they develop new strengths and gifts for them to move towards.

God is not wasteful. He would not say, well at 40, you can't make more babies so there is not really anything left for you. God sees needs and gives people gifts and strength to fill those needs. Why would He waste 50% of the population of women and 50% of that group that is over 40 and just say, you just eat and use up resources but have no purpose.

Nope. I see much need for women over 40, and it has little to do with having babies. They shift to new roles. Some is in leadership. Some in community building. Some in teaching. There are so many places women fill and help us survive as a species way past just having babies. Shame on us men for not validating and recognizing these roles and the need for them.

I do not feel I exaggerate when I say we, as a society and a species, would not exist if it was not for women over 40. Yet, many do everything they can to keep them in a box and limit their gifts from manifesting.
i don’t see conflict in what you-Josh-Chris-justme are saying ..

abuse is not God’s design.

abusers exist. i doubt there are abusers on forum. sin is what causes problems.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Some women become mothers and must take on leadership roles. Some do not and can use those gifts and strengths in other places.

Leadership is not about telling everyone what to do. Servant leadership is about guiding and motivating all around towards a goal or direction much needed to go.

I do most the driving in the house, but if it was not for my wife organizing and getting everything ready for a trip, I would have to return home multiple times in the first hour. She takes lead of that knowing I will take lead in the areas I am strong in. This way we validate and compliment each other.

Same should be in church, society, and business. Limiting or ignoring the natural gift of women's leadership abilities is quite wasteful and, I would venture to say, disrespectful of God's gifts given.

Leadership is not about who is the boss, but who gets you down the road. Male and female roles and ways of leadership are complimentary. There should not be one without the other. Woman need to wear the pants at times.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:57 am Some women become mothers and must take on leadership roles. Some do not and can use those gifts and strengths in other places.

Leadership is not about telling everyone what to do. Servant leadership is about guiding and motivating all around towards a goal or direction much needed to go.

I do most the driving in the house, but if it was not for my wife organizing and getting everything ready for a trip, I would have to return home multiple times in the first hour. She takes lead of that knowing I will take lead in the areas I am strong in. This way we validate and compliment each other.

Same should be in church, society, and business. Limiting or ignoring the natural gift of women's leadership abilities is quite wasteful and, I would venture to say, disrespectful of God's gifts given.

Leadership is not about who is the boss, but who gets you down the road. Male and female roles and ways of leadership are complimentary. There should not be one without the other. Woman need to wear the pants at times.
i was forced to live a version of this during my husband’s terminal illness. i had to increasingly do his jobs.
but i never felt i was usurping his role as leader. working with a servant’s heart is key. Jesus modeled it perfectly.

when it degrades from that, when egos collide, problems arise. when the servant’s heart is present, there are no conflicts.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:37 amI would pull back from calling those who do not fit well into this rule an exception. I would use the words generally, women are made by God, nature, and natural selection to have children and nurture them. This does not mean the woman can not fill roles of guidance and responsibility beyond that. Many do. The raise of single parent families because men are not stepping up with their responsibilities are easy evidence of this. Many women must take on leadership roles. Some come by it naturally, especially later in life. This could be because their role as nurturer abates about 40 and a new role is needed and they develop new strengths and gifts for them to move towards.
I feel like this is sometimes the case, in the event of a woman whose husband leaves her, as happened with a dear friend of mine who also used to work for us.

However, most single mothers in this day and age are single mothers due to sinful choices. I feel that when they make such choices, both the mother and father usurp God's design, and a terrible wound is present that a single mother can't "fix", because the child knows that both mother and father decided to engage in a sinful, terrible act that hurts them as the child. For my friend mentioned earlier, her child knows that his mother did nothing wrong. So the wound is much lesser.
Well, for married women and married women with children, there is very important work to be done for mothers and grandmothers in their 40s and beyond. Even without children, married women have an important role to play in the home with their husbands not to mention serving in the community, both church and beyond.

I am well aware of this, as I live in a Christian community of goods with a single woman over 40 who is also my business partner of 5 years. But with that said, I think such roles are the exception, not the rule. In our church, about 1% of people are single (which ends up being at least one woman per congregation and perhaps around 100 around the conference). That's actually a lot of single women to think about. Finding how to minister effectively to my single brethren and sisters is an important priority for me.
0 x