What impact does the NFL Superbowl have on your life?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Choose one.

1- Absolutely no impact at all.
72%
21%
3- Meh. It does in some ways.
7%
No votes
5- I live for this event!
No votes

Total votes: 29

Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: What impact does the NFL Superbowl have on your life?

Post by Soloist »

Absolutely zero idea when it is or who’s playing. Growing up we would’ve watched it along with chips and drinks, now I believe it to be wrong to watch or be involved in.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:45 am Absolutely zero idea when it is or who’s playing. Growing up we would’ve watched it along with chips and drinks, now I believe it to be wrong to watch or be involved in.
Curious - is this a personal conviction for yourself or do you believe it to be wrong for any Christian ? If the latter, would you care to share more detail on why it is 'wrong' (sinning, perhaps ?)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Pretty much none. I enjoy football but the Superbowl is usually pretty boring and rarely has teams that interest me.

I usually record it so that if I do get to watching it I can skip through the commercials but depending on who is playing I might not get around to watching it.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mercysfree
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mercysfree »

I usually know when it is going to because the grocery ads are oriented toward sports-themed parties.
0 x
Take the position that you're wrong, and your goal is to be less wrong over time. --Elon Musk
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Just looked it up on the calendar. I detest the Super Bowl so much I'll be skipping that day entirely.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I’d forgotten about it until someone brought it up here. I used to watch NFL faithfully, but lost the faith when San Diego’s team moved to L.A.

Nowadays I would consider following such sports teams to have no place in a Christian life.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:25 am I’d forgotten about it until someone brought it up here. I used to watch NFL faithfully, but lost the faith when San Diego’s team moved to L.A.

Nowadays I would consider following such sports teams to have no place in a Christian life.
I think it is mostly harmless if not taken to extreme.

My grandfather used to follow the Phillies which mostly just meant checking the box scores in the newspaper from time to time and catching the occasional game on the radio on Saturday afternoons when the work was done. It was something to talk about from time to time besides the weather and crop conditions.

But like anything else taken to extreme it isn’t healthy.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 am Just looked it up on the calendar. I detest the Super Bowl so much I'll be skipping that day entirely.
Its typically the first Sunday in February but its the second this year for some reason.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 am Just looked it up on the calendar. I detest the Super Bowl so much I'll be skipping that day entirely.
How do you skip a day entirely?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:55 am
Its typically the first Sunday in February but its the second this year for some reason.
It is always 2 weeks after the divisional championship games so they have a proper full two weeks to do all the commercial build-up.

I think with New Year’s Day falling on a Sunday this year the calendar just worked out that way.
0 x