Cape Dresses - Where's the Cape?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Cape Dresses - Where's the Cape?

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:17 pm I am fairly sure that the cape you see in many modern day conservative Mennonite churches is vestigial of something bigger. Just like a lot of the head coverings.
Thanks, I get it now. When I have been with conservative Mennonites, I didn't want to ask too many questions about women's clothing or look too closely at what they were wearing. So it's nice to get answers this way.

Are there patterns for these dresses online that would show how the cape is sewn on?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:15 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:44 pm Thanks, that's helpful. I can visualize it now. I can see the connection between this picture and the previous one.
And of course there are some groups that bridge the gap between the two pictures, like the OGBB:

and the OORB:

Thanks for representing 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:44 pm Thanks, that's helpful. I can visualize it now. I can see the connection between this picture and the previous one.
And of course there are some groups that bridge the gap between the two pictures, like the OGBB:

and the OORB:

Thanks for representing 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

and the OORB:

Ken's photo shows OK, but for some reason these don't appear. (Just a small icon that is labeled 'Image".) Is this perhaps because I am still using Windows 7?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:23 am
Ken's photo shows OK, but for some reason these don't appear. (Just a small icon that is labeled 'Image".) Is this perhaps because I am still using Windows 7?
They are all just links to jpegs posted on other sites. His are links to wikipedia. Mine are links to other random sites. That is the only difference I can see. Perhaps you have something blocking wikipedia?

You should be able to right-click on the image and copy the image link and post it into a new window and see what happens. That way you will at least see where the link is pointing to and what kind of image it is.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

This page does a good job of showing how it's all sewn together:

https://homejoys.blogspot.com/2013/11/h ... dress.html
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:28 pm
Neto wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:23 am
They are all just links to jpegs posted on other sites. His are links to wikipedia. Mine are links to other random sites. That is the only difference I can see. Perhaps you have something blocking wikipedia?

You should be able to right-click on the image and copy the image link and post it into a new window and see what happens. That way you will at least see where the link is pointing to and what kind of image it is.
Yes, some months back already wiki stopped working. Since then, more and more sites no longer work. Now I get a notice about discontinued support for Windows 7 each time I open the browser. (I use two: Google & Brave, and they both do it now.) I also have a Windows 10 system set up, but it will take a lot of work to transfer everything over, and get all of the different sites set up again.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mercysfree
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mercysfree »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:28 pm
mike wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:17 pm I am fairly sure that the cape you see in many modern day conservative Mennonite churches is vestigial of something bigger. Just like a lot of the head coverings.
Thanks, I get it now. When I have been with conservative Mennonites, I didn't want to ask too many questions about women's clothing or look too closely at what they were wearing. So it's nice to get answers this way.

Are there patterns for these dresses online that would show how the cape is sewn on?
I'm working on an explanatory post, Bootstrap. My grandmother said,

"Sew a stitch on Sunday, and you'll rip it out with your nose!"

So I'd better wait till tomorrow to finish and post it!
0 x
Take the position that you're wrong, and your goal is to be less wrong over time. --Elon Musk
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Curious - has it always been the case, where cape dresses, as shown in those previous pictures, allow modern day running shoes ? Seems to be strange if dress is to not be conformity to modern day worldly apparel. :?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:43 pm Curious - has it always been the case, where cape dresses, as shown in those previous pictures, allow modern day running shoes ? Seems to be strange if dress is to not be conformity to modern day worldly apparel. :?
It would likely make more sense if you understood the motivation for why someone would wear a cape dress.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat