Problematic Occupations for Mennonites

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Problematic Occupations for Mennonites

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:40 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:48 am I should think that agriculture would be a good a safe vocation for the Anabaptist Christian conscience.
There are areas in Oregon where the wine and vineyard industry is so dominant, that it makes growing other crops uncompetitive. And even if you are an agricultural supplier, there may be some hesitancy in selling irrigation supplies and fertilizer supplies and services to the vineyards.
And in Montana growing malt barley for beer is huge.
We’ve always stayed away from this barley and vineyards and marijuana.
I suppose other areas would have tobacco.
I have pictures of my Menno great grandparents growing and picking hops in the Willamette Valley probably around 1912 or so. As far as I know, they are only used for brewing beer.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:52 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:48 am I should think that agriculture would be a good a safe vocation for the Anabaptist Christian conscience.
There are areas in Oregon where the wine and vineyard industry is so dominant, that it makes growing other crops uncompetitive. And even if you are an agricultural supplier, there may be some hesitancy in selling irrigation supplies and fertilizer supplies and services to the vineyards.
I have pictures of my Menno great grandparents growing and picking hops in the Willamette Valley probably around 1912 or so. As far as I know, they are only used for brewing beer.
Yes, I’m aware that happened in the past. And perhaps they weren’t opposed to an occasional beer either. But today, conservative Mennonites don’t do that. Back in the day, we also grew and enjoyed tobacco. Not so much today.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:49 pm I doubt the Bible mentions pot either.
“O man of God, there is death in the pot!”
2 Kings 4:40
5 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:35 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:49 pm I doubt the Bible mentions pot either.
“O man of God, there is death in the pot!”
2 Kings 4:40
We know that the original wasn’t divided into verses, right? If the Bible publishers had their act together, that would have been in verse 20.
2 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I can certainly understand avoiding such crops and I agree with your reasons.

I have seen other crops in the so called vineyard areas of VA, TN, NC, SC and GA. Sorghum molasses sells quite well in those areas as an alternative to maple syrup. Sorghum and cane for syrup are likewise popular in AL and MS.

Apple groves seem to be popular in the VA, TN, GA and NC states. Heirloom apples are a niche in that market. Corn and sweet potatoes also sell well. Cabbages and collards as well as farm eggs both organic and free range, are very popular.

In fact the southern states that have a large independent Baptist population seem to share your values regarding crops and their uses.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mercysfree
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mercysfree »

Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm
Just curious, have Mennonites refused to bake cakes for divorced and remarried couples at their bakeries?
I know a Mennonite lady who refused to sew a wedding dress for a divorced friend who was planning to remarry.

I also had an interesting discussion a few years ago with another friend who ran a local Mennonite bakery. She said she didn't inquire whom a customer was marrying when cakes were ordered, but wondered if she should. We felt at the time it was somewhat likely she would eventually face the dilemma of a couple coming in where the situation was obviously immoral. After some discussion, she decided the best course of action for her would be to share the gospel clearly and what the Bible says about marriage. Then she planned to ask them, "Do you still want me to bake a cake for you?" If they said yes, then she would give it to them in Jesus' name instead of selling it.

We commented at the time that this would not solve the dilemma for, say, a house-builder, but she would be able to give away a cake instead of just a cup of cold water.
0 x
Take the position that you're wrong, and your goal is to be less wrong over time. --Elon Musk
mercysfree
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mercysfree »

Just curious, have Mennonites refused to bake cakes for divorced and remarried couples at their bakeries?
I know a Mennonite lady who refused to sew a wedding dress for a divorced friend who was planning to remarry.

I also had an interesting discussion a few years ago with another friend who ran a local Mennonite bakery. She said she didn't inquire whom a customer was marrying when cakes were ordered, but wondered if she should. We felt at the time it was somewhat likely she would eventually face the dilemma of a couple coming in where the situation was obviously immoral. After some discussion, she decided the best course of action for her would be to share the gospel clearly and what the Bible says about marriage. Then she planned to ask them, "Do you still want me to bake a cake for you?" If they said yes, then she would give it to them in Jesus' name instead of selling it.

We commented at the time that this would not solve the dilemma for, say, a house-builder, but she would be able to give away a cake instead of just a cup of cold water.
3 x
Take the position that you're wrong, and your goal is to be less wrong over time. --Elon Musk
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I have seen Christian businesses deliberately targeted by homosexuals in the hopes of winning a lawsuit. After the targeting of the CO baker one bakery owning couple decided that they will make wedding cakes only for Catholic, Byzantine, or Orthodox weddings - the engaged couple requests the cake through the parish. That solved the issue and the bakers have plenty of customers. If the engaged want a different baker, they arrange it themselves.

The Constitution specifically protects religious beliefs. When a homosexual couple bypasses other bakeries to target a Christian, Catholic, Orthodox, Byzantine, or Muslim baker, I genuinely believe that those cases need to be tossed immediately out of court. The same holds true for any business. There are always alternatives in which customers can receive service.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

mercysfree wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:56 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm Just curious, have Mennonites refused to bake cakes for divorced and remarried couples at their bakeries?

I also had an interesting discussion a few years ago with another friend who ran a local Mennonite bakery. She said she didn't inquire whom a customer was marrying when cakes were ordered, but wondered if she should. We felt at the time it was somewhat likely she would eventually face the dilemma of a couple coming in where the situation was obviously immoral. After some discussion, she decided the best course of action for her would be to share the gospel clearly and what the Bible says about marriage.

Then she planned to ask them, "Do you still want me to bake a cake for you?"
If they said yes, then she would give it to them in Jesus' name instead of selling it.

Thoughtful responses can go a long way. The credit goes to the Holy Spirit.
In the case of the house-builder, he might offer a Bible with the house? - let the buyers decide. A warm gift, no better gift. It could be life-giving.

If not their choice, they might go to a news reporter saying they were given unwanted materials.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

mercysfree wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:56 pm

I really appreciate the spirit of this, serving unbelievers not struggling with them.
0 x