The Anabaptist perception towards jellies & jams!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Your top three favorite jellies and/or jams!

Apricot
8%
Peach
14%
Strawberry
24%
Cranberry
No votes
Blueberry
2%
Grape
12%
Raspberry
14%
Blackberry
8%
Elderberry
3%
Apple butter
15%

Total votes: 59

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards jellies & jams!

Post by Josh »

appleman2006 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:10 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:07 pm Imagine my disappointment as finding out much of what is sold as "apple butter" is just bulk applesauce with cinnamon mixed in.
What did you think it was?
I had visions of some kind of artisinal process by which the quite expensive apple butter sold by "local" brands in the grocery store was made. Back when I was a youngster, my family used to go to some regional apple festivals put on in apple-growing parts of Ohio, namely the Unionport "Apple Stirrin'" and the Smithfield "Apple Festival". At these festivals, great big cast iron puts would be put into service with mashed up apples in them.

Many years later, whilst living in Australia, a compatriot of mine had a strong desire to produce jams (over there we don't call them "jellies"; that means Jell-O there). I felt a certain amount of dismay when he decamped from the local equivalent of Costco with gallon-sized tins of applesauce and bulk containers of cinnamon.

0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:23 am
appleman2006 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:10 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:07 pm Imagine my disappointment as finding out much of what is sold as "apple butter" is just bulk applesauce with cinnamon mixed in.
What did you think it was?
I had visions of some kind of artisinal process by which the quite expensive apple butter sold by "local" brands in the grocery store was made. Back when I was a youngster, my family used to go to some regional apple festivals put on in apple-growing parts of Ohio, namely the Unionport "Apple Stirrin'" and the Smithfield "Apple Festival". At these festivals, great big cast iron puts would be put into service with mashed up apples in them.

Many years later, whilst living in Australia, a compatriot of mine had a strong desire to produce jams (over there we don't call them "jellies"; that means Jell-O there). I felt a certain amount of dismay when he decamped from the local equivalent of Costco with gallon-sized tins of applesauce and bulk containers of cinnamon.

yeah. :) ok that is not apple butter. I agree.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

As far as I can tell, "traditional" apple butter is a regional thing only found in PA/Ohio/Ontario. The difference seems to be adding the spices and other extra ingredients at the same time as making the apple sauce.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Applebutter in VA and what I make is taking applesauce, adding sugar, vinegar and spices to it and cooking it- methods vary as in over open fire in huge kettle, in the oven or in a slow cooker and cooking it til it thickens. Times vary according to applesauce and your preference. But it is thicker than applesauce if you buy/want the real thing, not just flavored applesauce.
0 x
wesleyb
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by wesleyb »

We make it here in VA. Start with cider and apple pieces and cook it down in a big kettle over a fire until it's thick, then add sugar and cinnamon oil.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I thought perhaps a label marked Das Dutchman Essenhaus Amish Country Kitchen Apple Butter With Honey would portend a thicker, more flavorful spread. Alas, it was not to bee.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited