CAM Molestation Issue

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Re: CAM Molestation Issue

Post by Sliceitup »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:05 am
Sliceitup wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 am
barnhart wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:28 pm Aweful. Just aweful. I'm a little taken back by the use of evangelical mission as a justification for sheltering abusers. I guess the thing you are proudest of is a great area of weakness.
Isn’t that the exact same thing we hear when we ask for accountability from CAM? “Think of all the good they do…”
The two men who allowed Jeriah to go to Haiti were relieved of their jobs soon after the debacle. What more would you like from CAM?
I’m with JBG, I want an independent investigation. The fact that they won’t do it speaks volumes. And I don’t think a report that has been compiled by the organization or adjacent organizations would be satisfactory either.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sliceitup wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:52 am
Sliceitup wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 am Isn’t that the exact same thing we hear when we ask for accountability from CAM? “Think of all the good they do…”
The two men who allowed Jeriah to go to Haiti were relieved of their jobs soon after the debacle. What more would you like from CAM?
I’m with JBG, I want an independent investigation. The fact that they won’t do it speaks volumes. And I don’t think a report that has been compiled by the organization or adjacent organizations would be satisfactory either.
Probably not fully satisfactory, but a whole lot better than what has been communicated so far.

There is a cultural divide between those who accept opacity and those who expect transparency. I suspect the latter constituency has pretty much been lost at this point; it doesn't seem like they are interested in attempting to recover it, but I really hope I'm wrong.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:17 pmThere is a cultural divide between those who accept opacity and those who expect transparency. I suspect the latter constituency has pretty much been lost at this point; it doesn't seem like they are interested in attempting to recover it,
I think this is an accurate assessment.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Sliceitup wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 am
barnhart wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:28 pm Aweful. Just aweful. I'm a little taken back by the use of evangelical mission as a justification for sheltering abusers. I guess the thing you are proudest of is a great area of weakness.
Isn’t that the exact same thing we hear when we ask for accountability from CAM? “Think of all the good they do…”
What do you mean when you say they “were relieved of their jobs soon after the debacle?” They resigned (or were removed) from the board, but as I understand they both still worked for CAM in some capacity until last year.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Pelerin wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pmWhat do you mean when you say they “were relieved of their jobs soon after the debacle?” They resigned (or were removed) from the board, but as I understand they both still worked for CAM in some capacity until last year.
They were not on the board. They were in high level administrative positions, and they were put on administrative leave. They did not work for CAM per say during this time, but I think there was some communication with them from time to time about various transitional things they were involved in or responsible for (unrelated to the Jeriah Mast situation), that someone else needed to start taking responsibility for after their abrupt departure. They were not "training in" new administrators after their departure, that I am aware of.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Pelerin wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pmWhat do you mean when you say they “were relieved of their jobs soon after the debacle?” They resigned (or were removed) from the board, but as I understand they both still worked for CAM in some capacity until last year.
Note that these people seemed to have a hard time understanding they had indeed been fired and for a while simply ignored the board. This wasn't an easy thing for the board to deal with. Ultimately, CAM fired people responsible straight all the way up to the top. Not really sure what more people want.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:52 amI’m with JBG, I want an independent investigation. The fact that they won’t do it speaks volumes. And I don’t think a report that has been compiled by the organization or adjacent organizations would be satisfactory either.
And who, exactly, would be good enough for you to count as an "independent investigation"? Keep in mind the people you choose must also be acceptable to the Old Order Amish (the largest constituency for CAM in terms of donors), Old Order Mennonites, very conservative Mennonites, and many others.
0 x
wesleyb
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by wesleyb »

Josh wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:22 pm Ultimately, CAM fired people responsible straight all the way up to the top. Not really sure what more people want.
People want them to say this clearly.

People should not have to hear this on an internet forum from someone who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend . . .
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

wesleyb wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 pm
Josh wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:22 pm Ultimately, CAM fired people responsible straight all the way up to the top. Not really sure what more people want.
People should not have to hear this on an internet forum from someone who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend . . .
What do you wish this would have said instead...

https://christianaidministries.org/hait ... stigation/
July 17, 2019
1. Is it true that CAM management allowed Jeriah Mast to continue working with CAM after they knew that he had sexually abused minors?
CAM’s Board of Directors was not aware of any sexual conduct between Jeriah and minors until 2019. Paul Weaver and Eli Weaver are two men who have faithfully served the Lord and our ministry for many years in management roles. Unfortunately, they allowed Jeriah to continue to work in the field even after his confession in 2013 of sexual activity with young men that had taken place several years prior. Both men recognize that their failure to properly investigate and inquire into Jeriah’s conduct was a serious failure in judgment and should have severe consequences.
4. Will CAM take any personnel action in this case?
CAM is placing Paul Weaver and Eli Weaver on administrative leave pending a full investigation of their role in this matter. The Board and leadership of CAM understand the gravity of the situation and have mutually come to realize it would be difficult to work through this case with their involvement.
1 x
wesleyb
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by wesleyb »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:04 pm
wesleyb wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 pm
What do you wish this would have said instead...

https://christianaidministries.org/hait ... stigation/
July 17, 2019
1. Is it true that CAM management allowed Jeriah Mast to continue working with CAM after they knew that he had sexually abused minors?
CAM’s Board of Directors was not aware of any sexual conduct between Jeriah and minors until 2019. Paul Weaver and Eli Weaver are two men who have faithfully served the Lord and our ministry for many years in management roles. Unfortunately, they allowed Jeriah to continue to work in the field even after his confession in 2013 of sexual activity with young men that had taken place several years prior. Both men recognize that their failure to properly investigate and inquire into Jeriah’s conduct was a serious failure in judgment and should have severe consequences.
4. Will CAM take any personnel action in this case?
CAM is placing Paul Weaver and Eli Weaver on administrative leave pending a full investigation of their role in this matter. The Board and leadership of CAM understand the gravity of the situation and have mutually come to realize it would be difficult to work through this case with their involvement.
I thought at the time that was a proper action, but I never heard any followup stating definitively that they had been fired. Was there one that I missed? I was suspicious that they were suspended until things blew over, given a slap on the the wrist and were back at work in the organization.
0 x