Massage Therapy

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Massage Therapy

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:14 am
QuietlyListening wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:30 am I agree with what others said - if you take precautions, even to having your wife present or whatever you are most comfortable with it should be fine.
This would be my mindset. Take some precautions. I know of many a married man that got himself in trouble with this stuff, though.
I agree that precautions should be taken. Hubby saw a massage therapist, but we sought out a male therapist. Fortunately there is an excellent one in this area.
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Piggy back question: would 2-4 hour long massage sessions seem unreasonable to you?
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Grace wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 am
Wayne in Maine wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:38 am Why would you not use a conventional Physical Therapist?
Many times physical therapy uses exercises and strengthening techniques to help a problem. However if a muscle is injured and is tightened up, exercise only exacerbates the problem. I tried physical therapy for my shoulder and it got worse. It was only when the massage therapist got into those muscles with deep tissue massages, those muscles loosened up and began to heal. I needed to go three times a week at the beginning.
Physical therapists are more thoroughly trained in physiology, and can offer a wider range of therapies. I have had both strengthening and deep massage from my physical therapists - whichever was appropriate for the injury. I get the impression that Massage Therapy is more closely related to "alternative medicine" than Physical Therapy.
1 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Does your Chiro do deep tissue pressure point therapy? not all chiropractors do and that is a big help to tight muscles.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

To explain my position further as to why I think it's a bad idea, I would explain by saying that it would never be appropriate for me to offer a massage to any lady in my church, or for a lady to do so for any of us, other than a husband.
I would find it weird if a man offered me a massage but the ladies have done it for each other before but... those are all fully or mostly clothed.

The Scriptures say (Paul) that it is good for a man not to touch a woman. The old Testament Patriarch Noah cursed his son for uncovering his body.

I think that a woman doing it is completely unbiblical and sinful in the context of a nude massage even if its just the shoulders. I would find it problematic to be seeking out a female to do massages regardless of skill.
I've used a female for physical therapy before I converted while I was in the military, there was very little actual hands on contact for my shoulder surgery.

While I would find a male to be iffy that has likely more to do with stereotypes and less to do with actual issues... I wouldn't find this style of massage to be appropriate though. If your wife is fully on board with this, then I would strongly encourage a male. Just because this lady was the one referred doesn't necessarily mean she's the only option, and it might be worth the drive. If you do still do this, please at least consider pulling back if you find it affecting your thoughts. It's not worth it.

As follow on, would you be comfortable with your son or daughter or a sister from the church doing this as a profession and doing this on opposite genders?

My wife actually had this done by her cousin when she was younger. She told her not to touch anywhere around the bottom, but it was still pretty weird. We would just feel like massage is a very sensual thing and extra care should be taken to avoid falling into sin, even in the mind.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:50 am I get the impression that Massage Therapy is more closely related to "alternative medicine" than Physical Therapy.
I would agree. I also would classify chiropractic care as alternative medicine. The main thereupetic benefit of massage is the release of oxytocin. I've researched trauma and massage is a way to help heal children who have been traumatized or severely neglected.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:19 pm To explain my position further as to why I think it's a bad idea, I would explain by saying that it would never be appropriate for me to offer a massage to any lady in my church, or for a lady to do so for any of us, other than a husband.
I would find it weird if a man offered me a massage but the ladies have done it for each other before but... those are all fully or mostly clothed.
I can respect your position on the issue. I've known men in conservative circles that refuse to use a woman barber (besides his own wife anyways). My current barber is female, does a good job and will continue to use her. It doesn't bother me personally. Now massages on the other hand....
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:19 pm To explain my position further as to why I think it's a bad idea, I would explain by saying that it would never be appropriate for me to offer a massage to any lady in my church, or for a lady to do so for any of us, other than a husband.

The Scriptures say (Paul) that it is good for a man not to touch a woman. The old Testament Patriarch Noah cursed his son for uncovering his body.

I think that a woman doing it is completely unbiblical and sinful in the context of a nude massage even if its just the shoulders. I would find it problematic to be seeking out a female to do massages regardless of skill.
I've used a female for physical therapy before I converted while I was in the military, there was very little actual hands on contact for my shoulder surgery.

While I would find a male to be iffy that has likely more to do with stereotypes and less to do with actual issues... I wouldn't find this style of massage to be appropriate though. If your wife is fully on board with this, then I would strongly encourage a male. Just because this lady was the one referred doesn't necessarily mean she's the only option, and it might be worth the drive. If you do still do this, please at least consider pulling back if you find it affecting your thoughts. It's not worth it.

As follow on, would you be comfortable with your son or daughter or a sister from the church doing this as a profession and doing this on opposite genders?

My wife actually had this done by her cousin when she was younger. She told her not to touch anywhere around the bottom, but it was still pretty weird. We would just feel like massage is a very sensual thing and extra care should be taken to avoid falling into sin, even in the mind.
Regarding the scriptural phrase 'not to touch a woman' I believe this refers to sexual intercourse only. Gen 20:6, Ruth 2:9, Proverbs 6:29.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Grace wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 am
Wayne in Maine wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:38 am Why would you not use a conventional Physical Therapist?
Many times physical therapy uses exercises and strengthening techniques to help a problem. However if a muscle is injured and is tightened up, exercise only exacerbates the problem. I tried physical therapy for my shoulder and it got worse. It was only when the massage therapist got into those muscles with deep tissue massages, those muscles loosened up and began to heal. I needed to go three times a week at the beginning.
Yes this.

I was one of those people that said they would never get a massage. I never wanted anyone's hands on me like that I was very uncomfortable with the idea. I was okay with the chiropractor and that helped certain problems I had as a result of falls and car accidents.

It wasn't until I had some real pain in muscle areas that I finally gave in to the suggestions of others to get a deep tissue massage. It really brought relief in a way that nothing else could have, the chiropractor helped a great deal with my frame and physical therapy helped with certain temporary issues I was having but the deep tissue massage help me feel so much better and I was free from the pain for a while. Fortunately I found a place that had a Christian young lady that did it so I was at ease with her doing it.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I'm uncomfortable with that level of intimacy for something that has dubious merit.
1 x