Dinosaurs

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Dinosaurs

Post by Valerie »

We were at a birthday party where I was question if I believed there were Dinosaurs (apparently someone was told that most Christians don't believe they ever existed)

Do you ever get asked this?
What do you say?
I imagine we're all over the place on this one- but having attended different Creation seminars (long time ago)-
It seems like a 'gotcha' question coming from 'the world'.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Dinosaurs

Post by Robert »

I will let you know at the end of the month. The youth of a local church are going to a Creation Museum. My 3 boys and myself are going along. I am not a young earther. I told the boys our job is not to prove anything right or wrong. but to listen and learn what we can while we are there.

Yes. Dinosaurs did exist. I see no reason for God to trick everyone to make it look like the world existed for millions/billions of years, only to have done it all in 10,000. Creation reveals God, not a set creation narrative.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Robert wrote:I will let you know at the end of the month. The youth of a local church are going to a Creation Museum. My 3 boys and myself are going along. I am not a young earther. I told the boys our job is not to prove anything right or wrong. but to listen and learn what we can while we are there.

Yes. Dinosaurs did exist. I see no reason for God to trick everyone to make it look like the world existed for millions/billions of years, only to have done it all in 10,000. Creation reveals God, not a set creation narrative.
Thank you- we plant to go sometime this year as well, & include The Ark Encounter- it seems to me through the years, that the topic is used by those outside the faith to discount the Bible. A young earther, my husband doesn't take a stand either way, but it seems when trying to witness to people who hope to stump us by dinosaurs (& evolution, which also came up, the ice age, etc) there needs to be dialogue away from these things that try to prove the Bible wrong- it was ad if now science can disprove Christianity to some people, especially those brought up in the last 50 years or so.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip. When my children were young, there were visits to church & Creation science semi Ard but they were young many moons ago
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

It is true dinosaurs existed or exist and there are descriptions of things like leviathan and behemoth in the scriptures. Also dragons and unicorns are there too.

The word dinosaur was thought up in the 1800's so that in no way means it is something different from these creatures in scripture named above.

For something to be considered scientific fact it must adhere to three conditions: Testable, repeatable, observable.

Millions or billions of years is not observable, testable, or repeatable so we cannot factually know for certain when they existed. Ultimately it takes faith or trust to believe something is millions or billions of years old.

So I don't flinch when people try to corner me and if they are friendly enough the discussion leads into them eventually hearing they have faith just like I do but they are placing it with people while we place it with God in accepting it is His creation.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote:It is true dinosaurs existed or exist and there are descriptions of things like leviathan and behemoth in the scriptures. Also dragons and unicorns are there too.

The word dinosaur was thought up in the 1800's so that in no way means it is something different from these creatures in scripture named above.

For something to be considered scientific fact it must adhere to three conditions: Testable, repeatable, observable.

Millions or billions of years is not observable, testable, or repeatable so we cannot factually know for certain when they existed. Ultimately it takes faith or trust to believe something is millions or billions of years old.

So I don't flinch when people try to corner me and if they are friendly enough the discussion leads into them eventually hearing they have faith just like I do but they are placing it with people while we place it with God in accepting it is His creation.
I read this to hubby- he said " right, I like that guy!" :hi5
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I believe the earth is billions of years old as far as lab tests go. We have rates of decay that line up with that and I'm not convinced that those rates would suddenly change after the flood.

With that said, was Adam created as an embryo?, a baby?, or an adult male?
Was the earth made aged? or not?

We have testable, repeatable and observable data about weathering on rock transitioning to soil and if the Genesis account is accurate (I believe it is) then God made dirt, not a sphere of Rock and rain didn't fall until after that and rain is needed for weathering. Thus my case is that God made an aged earth that was made in a literal 6 days but was already aged like Adam.

As for the argument about starlight, well... Be careful not to assume what God would and wouldn't do.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I don't recall having seen a single living dinosaur since I was around 17 years old.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Before buying into an old earth theory, please read this and other articles liked at the end of this one:
https://creation.com/age-of-the-earth

The article begins noting that "the widely accepted age of the universe is currently 13.77 billion years and for the solar system (including Earth) it is 4.543 billion years. However, no scientific method can prove the age of the earth and the universe, and that includes the ones we have listed here that strongly suggest that these accepted ages are in serious error."

The article gives 101 evidences for a young age of the earth and the universe.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Soloist wrote:I believe the earth is billions of years old as far as lab tests go. We have rates of decay that line up with that and I'm not convinced that those rates would suddenly change after the flood.

With that said, was Adam created as an embryo?, a baby?, or an adult male?
Was the earth made aged? or not?

We have testable, repeatable and observable data about weathering on rock transitioning to soil and if the Genesis account is accurate (I believe it is) then God made dirt, not a sphere of Rock and rain didn't fall until after that and rain is needed for weathering. Thus my case is that God made an aged earth that was made in a literal 6 days but was already aged like Adam.

As for the argument about starlight, well... Be careful not to assume what God would and wouldn't do.
God making dirt may be a biased opinion... that is of course if your affiliation of "a shamed worm" is accurate? :-|
:wave:
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

What impact does Old Earth/Young Earth, Dino or no, have on the good news of the Kingdom of God?
0 x