Race in America: The Marital Counselor Analogy

A place to discuss history and historical events.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Race in America: The Marital Counselor Analogy

Post by temporal1 »

How did this forum exist B.K.?

For my part, i have no responsibility to further jump to defend my words about TS’s office door.
i present nothing as unquestionable fact. i’m happy for correction.

Having honest discussion lampooned with accusations, speculation, deliberate sabotage, has become a too frequent occurence.
There’s a destructive spirit that is not healthy.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:19 pm Go ahead and show us any hint of evidence that Thomas Sowell had his name removed from his office door ...
Did someone say it was removed?
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:12 pmIs it "racist" to adhere to specific ethnic customs of dress? No, of course not. People do it everywhere in the world. But conservative Anabaptist churches should not be surprised that they remain largely an insular white ethnic group when they insist on exclusively white ethnic customs when it comes to things like dress. And it isn't surprising that people who aren't from those traditions are not going to feel particularly at home.
*shrug* lots of people are in my church tradition in Haiti and various African nations.

Clothing and head covering styles are about the last concern on most people's minds. For what it's worth, I usually agree with the general positions the Nigerians have more than I do my own regional conference.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:28 pm How did this forum exist B.K.?

For my part, i have no responsibility to further jump to defend my words about TS’s office door.
i present nothing as unquestionable fact. i’m happy for correction.

Having honest discussion lampooned with accusations, speculation, deliberate sabotage, has become a too frequent occurence.
There’s a destructive spirit that is not healthy.
You'll notice a lot of people have simply gone silent or gone away. There are a few of us, myself included, who have decided not to cede this as KenNet.

This is a classic leftist tactic; to drown the conservatives out by incessant, endless speaking and attacks on conservatives, and try to use a conservative's own standards of civility against them.
1 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Josh wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:04 pmYou'll notice a lot of people have simply gone silent or gone away. There are a few of us, myself included, who have decided not to cede this as KenNet.

This is a classic leftist tactic; to drown the conservatives out by incessant, endless speaking and attacks on conservatives, and try to use a conservative's own standards of civility against them.
yes, a lot of people have gone silent.
in my case? not because of Ken, tho.
2 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to ignore that nonsense. another fb meme
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Not everyone that comes here makes everything about being liberal or conservative. Please.
And could everyone be more civil. If one person is rude or unkind or whatever it does not mean we have to respond back in kind.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:01 pm Not everyone that comes here makes everything about being liberal or conservative. Please.
I agree, and that's one reason I don't like the attitude Ken brings to this forum. His perspective to me seems to be that every conflict is actually a political conflict between conservatives (which he considers backwards, racist, uneducated, and bigoted) and liberals (which he considers to be well-educated, fair, balanced, and morally upright people). It is extremely tiresome.
And could everyone be more civil. If one person is rude or unkind or whatever it does not mean we have to respond back in kind.
I fundamentally disagree with this philosophy that if one person is rude or unkind, it's the "right" thing to do to simply let them dominate a space by never disagreeing with them or pointing out what they do. Quite the contrary. One of my biggest criticisms of conservative Anabaptists is their willingness to sit silently whilst great evil is done.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:01 pm Not everyone that comes here makes everything about being liberal or conservative. Please.
It’s not easy to know what to do. Even harder to do it, once you do know.
Proverbs 25:21-23
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:11 pm
I agree, and that's one reason I don't like the attitude Ken brings to this forum. His perspective to me seems to be that every conflict is actually a political conflict between conservatives (which he considers backwards, racist, uneducated, and bigoted) and liberals (which he considers to be well-educated, fair, balanced, and morally upright people). It is extremely tiresome.
This forum has a search feature. Go ahead and find the instances where I have ever called you backwards, racist, uneducated, or bigoted. If you find an example where I did it gratuitously then I will happily apologize. I'm not the one who makes most of the character attacks here, either of people here or people in general. This is a public forum and I often take issue with things that you write. But I don't attack your character. I don't even make wild generalizations about you like you just did above.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:21 pm This forum has a search feature. Go ahead and find the instances where I have ever called you backwards, racist, uneducated, or bigoted. If you find an example where I did it gratuitously then I will happily apologize. I'm not the one who makes most of the character attacks here, either of people here or people in general. This is a public forum and I often take issue with things that you write. But I don't attack your character. I don't even make wild generalizations about you like you just did above.
It's not about me personally. It's about your characterisations of anyone who is not a dyed-in-the-wool liberal in general.
0 x