The End of History

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: The End of History

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:09 amThe above are all lies. Do you think they should be censored and your free speech rights to say them restricted?
When have I ever called for censorship of any kind? My only point was that words have consequences. Both lies and the truth. And that calls for violence can indeed lead to violence. That is a completely uncontroversial position to take.

I find it rather odd for a Christian to claim that words don't matter (or don't have any effect) when the entire point of Christianity is that words do matter.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:09 am
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 am
ohio jones wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:52 pm Truth does not need a bodyguard.
We aren't talking about truth but rather the metastasis of malignant lies.
Lots of people tell lies, such as:

- Men can get pregnant

- A man becomes a woman simply by saying he is, and then he must be allowed to use the women's bathroom

- Our great-great-great-great-great...grandparents were monkeys

- A man can marry another man

- To achieve peace, we need to go to war

- COVID vaccines prevent transmission

The above are all lies. Do you think they should be censored and your free speech rights to say them restricted?
"Destruction of property isn't violence."

We can add that one to the list, too ...

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/magaz ... nce-299759
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Don't forget the biggest lie of all: That Trump actually won the 2020 election.

We can put that one up there with:

CO2 doesn't cause global warming and vaccines don't save lives
1 x
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:31 pm Don't forget the biggest lie of all: That Trump actually won the 2020 election. .... CO2 doesn't cause global warming
Those are at least debatable, imo.

I don't personally know anyone who ever claimed ...
"vaccines don't save lives"
... only that these were untested over the long run and so shouldn't be mandated.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:22 am
Josh wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:09 amThe above are all lies. Do you think they should be censored and your free speech rights to say them restricted?
When have I ever called for censorship of any kind? My only point was that words have consequences. Both lies and the truth. And that calls for violence can indeed lead to violence. That is a completely uncontroversial position to take.

I find it rather odd for a Christian to claim that words don't matter (or don't have any effect) when the entire point of Christianity is that words do matter.
What I said was that words are not violence and should not be treated as such.

Ken, you do know that liberals claim saying “Men can’t get pregnant” is equivalent to violently beating someone for being a transsexual, right?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:42 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:22 am

What I said was that words are not violence and should not be treated as such.

Ken, you do know that liberals claim saying “Men can’t get pregnant” is equivalent to violently beating someone for being a transsexual, right?
Where do you get such ridiculous stuff? I have never once in my life heard a "liberal" say anything remotely like that.

Likewise, I have never said that words are violence. What I have said is that violent words (exhortations to violence) can lead to actual violence. This is utterly uncontroversial and obvious. I find it bizarre that you as a Christian don't believe that words can lead to actions either good or bad. That is the entire premise of Christianity. That words have meaning and can lead to actions.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:14 pm I find it bizarre that you as a Christian don't believe that words can lead to actions either good or bad. That is the entire premise of Christianity. That words have meaning and can lead to actions.
I have found that the underlying premise of Christianity is much more than words. Entering into relationship with and doing the will of Jesus our Redeemer, is by far more important than the words we as His followers utter.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

GaryK wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:36 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:14 pm I find it bizarre that you as a Christian don't believe that words can lead to actions either good or bad. That is the entire premise of Christianity. That words have meaning and can lead to actions.
I have found that the underlying premise of Christianity is much more than words. Entering into relationship with and doing the will of Jesus our Redeemer, is by far more important than the words we as His followers utter.
I was referring to the words written down in the Bible not words that random Christians might say today.

Much of Christianity is involved in parsing the meaning of the words written in Biblical texts, working to translate them accurately, and then implementing or following them with your actions in your lives.

Do we assume that only the words of God can spur people to action and deeds, and not the words of the Devil or words inspired by the Devil? Which is what I would argue that violent speech actually is?

Again, none of this means that I am arguing for censorship. I am not. What I am saying is that the tone that our leaders choose to take in the words they choose does have consequences. And that a tidal wave of violent speech on the internet will have predictable consequences.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:36 pm
Is that really what Jesus taught?

I don't think so. And I don't think politics is a loophole for Christians. But it often feels like there's some kind of contest to see who can most loudly spread the most vicious rumors against political enemies, without even paying attention to evidence. All the while feeling very self-righteous about the whole affair. That's not Christlike.
Murder

21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

Adultery

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

James is also relevant to political discourse for Christians.

If we don't follow these teachings, it's not because the government is forcing us to abandon biblical teaching. It's because we choose not to follow it.
Taming the Tongue

3 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2 We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?