Historic Anabaptist Places (Pictures itt)

A place to discuss history and historical events.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Historic Anabaptist Places (Pictures itt)

Post by ohio jones »

Since only one family (that we know of) with the Stoltzfus name came to America, all trace their ancestry to my great-x5-grandfather Nicholas Stoltzfus, 1718-1774. His grandfather and great-grandfather were Lutheran ministers in central Germany. His father died soon after Nicholas was born, and his mother remarried and moved back to her hometown of Zweibrücken near the western edge of what is now the German state of Rheinland-Pfalz.

Lutheran church, Zweibrücken, 1708

In his teenage years, Nicholas found employment on the farms of Anabaptists in the Palatinate and in what is now the Alsace region of France (borders back then were not necessarily where they are now). One farmer had a daughter that caught his eye, but marriages between a Lutheran boy and an Amish girl were not allowed. His first attempt to approach the authorities was refused, so at age 25 he wrote a letter to the Duke appealing the decision and explaining that he had been "received into their religious group by my own choice" (proselytizing was strictly forbidden). Permission was refused again, with the suggestion that he leave the duchy if he wanted to marry a non-Lutheran. Apparently they got married anyway.

Pfälzisches Oberlandesgericht Zweibrücken, 1720

The Amish church in this area was the last one to survive in Europe. They merged with the local Mennonite congregation in 1937.

Mennonitengemeinde Zweibrücken, current meetinghouse

In 1766, Nicholas and his family came to America and in 1771 purchased land in Berks County, PA, now on the northwest edge of Reading. The house on this property was threatened with demolition in the 1990s, but efforts to save it were effective and major restoration was done in 2001-2002, with additional work ongoing.

Further information:
German Lutherans to Pennsylvania Amish: The Stoltzfus Family Story
Nicholas Stoltzfus Homestead on Facebook
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I learned a lot reading through this thread. Thanks guys.
0 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

So I this week I am on vacation. I had planned a trip to Rome but for obvious reasons this is not going to fly (the flight was literally cancelled). I had planned (amongst others) to visit the tomb of Paul the Apostle. As I am confined to Switzerland (we can only go to the neighbouring countries if we have business there), I had to find an adequate replacement within my country.

Switzerland lacks in the Apostle department but we do have our fair share of Anabaptist leaders hailing from our fine country. I have already posted pictures in this thread of the birthplaces of Manz and Grebel which are only a few minutes from where I live. Hence, I had to go a bit further afield to find another true giant of Anabaptism. It took me a bit more than two hours to drive out to Erlenbach im Simmental. There, high on the hillside, in the small hamlet of Thal, is the birtplace of Jacob Ammann, who would go on to be the leader of the Amish.

It was a bit of detective work to find the right house, as there is no indication on the internet and the owners are clearly not interested in attracting many visitors. There is no memorial plaque, no visitor center and no sign posts. I looked up the Jacob Ammann wikipedia site where I found pictures of the place and then compared them to the google maps until I found the place. I wont publish the address here but if someone is interested, drop me a private message.

Anyway, here are pictures of the house which is not the original home of Ammann but a later structure. The original house was dismantled in 1955 but did not look very different (wikipedia has a picture of the old house: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakob_Ammann)

However, the small barn to the left of the house goes back to the 17th century and hence, it is possible that it was already there when young Ammann grew up.

House with barn in front of it seen from above (left of the tree).

It might not be as grand as the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls but the surrounding moutains surely beat the seven measly hills of the eternal city. :P

0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Another day another road trip. Today I took a tour through the canton of Argovia to visit some interesting places. Some of them are not really fitting into this thread but then again it is my thread so I'll post whatever I feel like :P

First we went to Staffelbach to have a look at the old Methodist church because this is where, almost exactly 100 years ago, my great grandfather Jacob had his first job as preacher and where a young girl fell in love with both Jesus and Jacob and became my great grandmother...

It's quite atrocious what they did to the poor church building :?

Anyway, to keep somehow on-topic, we also went to see the place where Samuel Heinrich Fröhlich had his first job as preacher. For those who are not familiar with Fröhlich, he was the founder of the Gemeinschaft Evangelisch Taufgesinnter, a 19 century sect that was influenced by the Geneva Reveil / free church movement with a very strong emphasis on adult baptism and an Anabaptist influence, in particular regarding non-resistance. This movement spread across the ocean and is now known as the Apostolic Christian Church in the USA. The ACCs are counted as part of the Anabaptist / peace churches in the widest sense by most scholars.

Fröhlich, of Brugg, Argovia, had studied theology and started out as a deputy vicar of the reformed state church in Leutwil, Argovia. However, due to his refusal of a new liberal catechism his tenure was short lived and he was removed from office after 2 years at most. He then went on to establish his own congregations but the first one was also in Leutwil, where he baptised 38 souls by Palm Sunday 1832. This was the first of the many Fröhlich congregations.

See my other thread for maps of all former and current congregations:

http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ich#p65579

Here's the Leutwil church:

Fröhlich is not on the list of preachers. That's not because he was removed before he could be officially ordained.

That's probably not the original pulpit Fröhlich preached from:

I still had to check it out:

In Switzerland, there are currently two factions of the Fröhlich faith. The liberal and assimilated Evangelische Täufergemeinde (ETG) to which I belong, and the ultra strict and plain Gemeinschaft Evangelisch Taufgesinnter (GET). In Fröhlich's home canton of Argovia, once a hotbed of his sect, there is today no ETG but two GET's, one of which not very far from Leutwil in a secluded valley. Here's a picture of the meeting hall. Obviously, in Corona times it is shut down but even if it wasn't, I couldn't have visited, as the GET have a closed door policy, and they do not allow outsiders to attend their services.

To round this off with something completely off topic, here's a nice panoramic shot of Hallwyl castle, the last station of our road trip:

0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Someday I want to visit these places. Are you available as a guide.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Swiss bro, thanks for this history, it is truly fascinating for me.
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Will you post the pictures of the castle? I doubt I'll ever get to one, but I think it would be so interesting to visit one, or more!
0 x
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

Thank you for sharing these places, Swiss Bro and Ohio Jones.
Absolutely enjoyed it.
The mountains, buildings, people and history...

Blessings to each one through the Lord Jesus Christ.

"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him." Psalm 24:1
0 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

appleman2006 wrote:Someday I want to visit these places. Are you available as a guide.
Well for the places in and around Zurich I would certainly be available on short notice as I live nearby. For the other places some coordination would be required.
barnhart wrote:Swiss bro, thanks for this history, it is truly fascinating for me.
danfreed wrote:Thank you for sharing these places, Swiss Bro and Ohio Jones.
Absolutely enjoyed it.

Thanks for the praise. It's nice to know that you guys appreciate this.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Swiss Bro wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:Someday I want to visit these places. Are you available as a guide.
Well for the places in and around Zurich I would certainly be available on short notice as I live nearby. For the other places some coordination would be required.
barnhart wrote:Swiss bro, thanks for this history, it is truly fascinating for me.
danfreed wrote:Thank you for sharing these places, Swiss Bro and Ohio Jones.
Absolutely enjoyed it.

Thanks for the praise. It's nice to know that you guys appreciate this.
It would be in and around Zurich that would primarily interest me. I was in Zurich once in my life but it was on a business trip and I was on a tour where we came in on train early in the morning and then immediately headed of on a bus. It was sheer torture for me to be right there and not be able to look around.
0 x