400 Years of African Slavery in America

A place to discuss history and historical events.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: 400 Years of African Slavery in America

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:12 am Interestingly, Nikole Hannah-Jones has moved on to complaining that items she wants to buy in the store are locked up and she has to wait for an employee to come help unlock them.

Yet the reason this is so widespread is due to mass shoplifting which took off in 2020, resulting in many store closures, reduction in hours, and stores forced to lock up anything that can be easily fenced in California and NYC. NHJ promoted those riots as justified “protests”, yet now doesn’t like the consequences.

I would note that where I live, items aren’t locked up. We also don’t have much shoplifting and the police don’t have any tolerance for it either.
I had the same problem last time I wanted to buy a small flashlight at Walmart. I gave up waiting after about 15 or 20 minutes and left.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:23 am
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:12 am Interestingly, Nikole Hannah-Jones has moved on to complaining that items she wants to buy in the store are locked up and she has to wait for an employee to come help unlock them.

Yet the reason this is so widespread is due to mass shoplifting which took off in 2020, resulting in many store closures, reduction in hours, and stores forced to lock up anything that can be easily fenced in California and NYC. NHJ promoted those riots as justified “protests”, yet now doesn’t like the consequences.

I would note that where I live, items aren’t locked up. We also don’t have much shoplifting and the police don’t have any tolerance for it either.
I had the same problem last time I wanted to buy a small flashlight at Walmart. I gave up waiting after about 15 or 20 minutes and left.
Rural King. Tractor Supply. Dick's Sporting Goods. Ye Auld Ace Hardware. Etc. All wonderful reasons to avoid Walmart.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

This is why we can't have nice things

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This is how poor areas become “disadvantaged”: nobody wants to try to run a business where the government forces you to allow this kind of thing and does nothing to stop open theft like this.

Up next, Nikole Hannah-Jones will complain about how things are locked up in the store and it makes it harder to shop. Long term? The businesses will simply close and law abiding people will avoid the whole area.

It does not have to be this way.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:32 pm This is how poor areas become “disadvantaged”: nobody wants to try to run a business where the government forces you to allow this kind of thing and does nothing to stop open theft like this.

Up next, Nikole Hannah-Jones will complain about how things are locked up in the store and it makes it harder to shop. Long term? The businesses will simply close and law abiding people will avoid the whole area.

It does not have to be this way.
I don't believe I could run a grocery store in many areas of this country.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:04 pm This is why we can't have nice things
Or maybe that store should actually hire some security rather than spending its profits on stock buybacks and such.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:45 pm
Or maybe that store should actually hire some security rather than spending its profits on stock buybacks and such.
I expect it's about profit. If it paid them to do that, they probably would already be doing that. At some point, it's easier and cheaper to just relocate the store to an area without such problems. Thus, food deserts and other deserts develop.
2 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:21 pm
I expect it's about profit. If it paid them to do that, they probably would already be doing that. At some point, it's easier and cheaper to just relocate the store to an area without such problems. Thus, food deserts and other deserts develop.
Which is an idiotic solution. Because all those thieves have cars. And there is nothing to indicate that particular store is located in a high crime area. It looks pretty suburban to me. They will just follow the stores wherever they go.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:28 pm

Which is an idiotic solution. Because all those thieves have cars. And there is nothing to indicate that particular store is located in a high crime area. It looks pretty suburban to me. They will just follow the stores wherever they go.
:roll: :roll:
1 x
mike

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:28 pm

Really. That must be why flash mob thefts and looting happen all the time in Lancaster County, PA just like they happen in Philly just an hour and a half away
1 x