400 Years of African Slavery in America

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: 400 Years of African Slavery in America

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:24 pm I would start with the biblical example of the Jubilee. Possibilities I've thought of include:
Forgive debts.
Redistribute wealth more equally.
Have a high inheritance tax.
Real estate can't be inherited more than 2 or 3 generations.

So the quick answer as to "who should pay" would be "those who can."
In other words, destroy every family farm left in existence and force them to be sold to giant agribusiness.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:41 am
Dan Z wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:59 am
ohio jones wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:00 pm
Cattle slavery still exists, and aside from a few animal rights activists nobody seems to have a beef with it. Allow me to steer you toward the term "chattel slavery", which cud be what was intended.
Not to horn in on your post Ohio Jones, but it was an udderly insightful observation - funniest thing I have herd in a while - laughed so hard I thought they'd have to carry me out on a guernsey. Regarding cattle slavery, I'd steak my reputation on it continuing - I don't think beefeaters can be cowed into changing their habits that easily.
One day we may actually move Beyond Meat. And then it won’t seem Impossible. Burger may be the salvation of cattle slavery.
However the completion won’t happen without a Ripple. Nor will it be as smooth as Silk. It’s going to go nuts. But the day may come when we can all say, Well folks, that’s all she Oat. Ley will be filled with happy and free bovines once more.
Me thinks this conversation has mooooovd beyond the pail and utterly ridiculous. But funny. :lol:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:24 pm
I would start with the biblical example of the Jubilee. Possibilities I've thought of include:
Say what? How do you get that one from the biblical example of the Jubilee?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Jubilee had the exact opposite intent; all land eventually reverted to the family and tribe that originally owned it.

Of course, the original Canaanite owners were not respected. They got kicked out of their land and their land was given to the Israelites. For whatever reason, this is exactly what God ordained he wanted to happen.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm
Of course, the original Canaanite owners were not respected. They got kicked out of their land and their land was given to the Israelites. For whatever reason, this is exactly what God ordained he wanted to happen.
I sometimes wonder what the other side of the OT story is. Did God also talk with the Canaanite in the prior generation? Did God warn them about their idolatry? Did God tell them that He was going to use the Israelites to punish them, and that he was going to remove them?
Did God talk with other people groups or only the Israelites? Who was Melchizedek and his people, and what became of them?
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:51 pm
I sometimes wonder what the other side of the OT story is. Did God also talk with the Canaanite in the prior generation? Did God warn them about their idolatry? Did God tell them that He was going to use the Israelites to punish them, and that he was going to remove them?
Did God talk with other people groups or only the Israelites? Who was Melchizedek and his people, and what became of them?
I feel that the law is written on all men's hearts, and that deep down, everyone knows that sacrificing babies to Moloch was wrong. I am sure there were some righteous Canaanites who separated from those practices, and whilst this isn't clearly spelled out in scripture, some scholar told me that it was common knowledge that many Canaanites converted to the Israelite faith and joined those people. So they did have a chance to repent.

Ultimately, the wages of sin is death, and a just God has no choice but to utterly destroy a people who engage in that kind of wickedness. All of the pre-flood civilisation had land and presumably owned it. All of that land was taken from them, and given to Noah and his sons., that is to say, us today.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:56 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:51 pm
I feel that the law is written on all men's hearts, and that deep down, everyone knows that sacrificing babies to Moloch was wrong. I am sure there were some righteous Canaanites who separated from those practices, and whilst this isn't clearly spelled out in scripture, some scholar told me that it was common knowledge that many Canaanites converted to the Israelite faith and joined those people. So they did have a chance to repent.

Ultimately, the wages of sin is death, and a just God has no choice but to utterly destroy a people who engage in that kind of wickedness. All of the pre-flood civilisation had land and presumably owned it. All of that land was taken from them, and given to Noah and his sons., that is to say, us today.
The story of Jonah I would say show's God's heart about the Gentiles. It would seem that Lot witnessed to the people as well without results in a positive fashion.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:19 pm
I would start with the biblical example of the Jubilee. Possibilities I've thought of include:
Reasonable question, as the Jubilee gave land back to the families of earlier owners! The starting point was a fair distribution of land. In 50 years things were expected to become inequitable so property was then redistributed in a fairly equal manner. I'm thinking of the principle of Jubilee and how it would be applied to a situation that has had an unfair distribution for centuries. I'd like to hear other's ideas on how to address generational inequity.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:00 am
JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:24 pm I would start with the biblical example of the Jubilee. Possibilities I've thought of include:
Forgive debts.
Redistribute wealth more equally.
Have a high inheritance tax.

So the quick answer as to "who should pay" would be "those who can."
In other words, destroy every family farm left in existence and force them to be sold to giant agribusiness.
I was thinking more of breaking up the giant agribusinesses--and other giant businesses. Obviously how this would be done needs to be thought through very carefully.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

JimFoxvog wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:35 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:19 pm
Reasonable question, as the Jubilee gave land back to the families of earlier owners! The starting point was a fair distribution of land. In 50 years things were expected to become inequitable so property was then redistributed in a fairly equal manner. I'm thinking of the principle of Jubilee and how it would be applied to a situation that has had an unfair distribution for centuries. I'd like to hear other's ideas on how to address generational inequity.
The US probably has a more unequal distribution of land than say Haiti or Guatemala where the countryside is littered with small subsistence farms. I'm not sure that land ownership is a particularly good measure of anything in a modern industrial or post-industrial society. Here in the US, rural areas with widespread land ownership are often poorer than urban areas with low land ownership.

In terms of public policy, I'm more interested in providing equitable opportunities rather than equitable outcomes.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr