States that hurt small businesses during the pandemic

A place to discuss history and historical events.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Re: States that hurt small businesses during the pandemic

Post by mike »

Franklin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:03 pm Here in Texas, the more reasonable local governments simply ignored the unconstitutional fascist covid decrees coming from the state government. Did anything like this happen in Pennsylvania? I ask because I am thinking of moving to Pennsylvania and the only real hope for political sanity is sane local governments that ignore the insanity coming from higher levels of government.
There were no local governments here that would have advertised such a thing, but without a doubt enforcement was uneven. What we saw mostly was local businesses that did not comply with shutdown or other covid orders. There were numerous restaurants in the state for example that ignored a three-week ban on indoor dining. The state sued 46 of them, but later dropped the lawsuits. Restaurants like this generally saw a huge uptick in business; I personally know people that drove long distances to support them.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:14 pm
Franklin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:03 pm Here in Texas, the more reasonable local governments simply ignored the unconstitutional fascist covid decrees coming from the state government. Did anything like this happen in Pennsylvania? I ask because I am thinking of moving to Pennsylvania and the only real hope for political sanity is sane local governments that ignore the insanity coming from higher levels of government.
There were no local governments here that would have advertised such a thing, but without a doubt enforcement was uneven. What we saw mostly was local businesses that did not comply with shutdown or other covid orders. There were numerous restaurants in the state for example that ignored a three-week ban on indoor dining. The state sued 46 of them, but later dropped the lawsuits. Restaurants like this generally saw a huge uptick in business; I personally know people that drove long distances to support them.
Were these restaurants locally owned, or were they national corporations? I suspect that this would be a case of the large companies (restaurants) complying, and these non-compliant family owned businesses benefiting.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

I thought you were moving to Mexico? Did that not happen?

Why wouldn't you move to a Red state instead of PA? If it's conservative Mennonite/Amish you want, Ohio would have plenty to live among. Even Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, and Missouri would have a lot.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

RZehr wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:32 pm
mike wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:14 pm
Were these restaurants locally owned, or were they national corporations? I suspect that this would be a case of the large companies (restaurants) complying, and these non-compliant family owned businesses benefiting.
The ones I know of were locally owned.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

RZehr wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:34 pm I thought you were moving to Mexico? Did that not happen?
I didn't move. First, because my wife rejected the area. And second, because Mexican Mennonites don't seem to understand the threat of modern culture and allow their children to be poisoned by modern technology as I described here.
Why wouldn't you move to a Red state instead of PA? If it's conservative Mennonite/Amish you want, Ohio would have plenty to live among. Even Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, and Missouri would have a lot.
I looked at the Columbus, Ohio area and I didn't like it at all. It felt like mainstream America. My wife wants to be around an urban area. The only 2 places in America that I have been in recent years where I don't hate the people are the area west of Harrisburg, PA and north Idaho. My wife went back to north Idaho and said that it has been ruined by an influx of Californians. I have been to several red state areas and I hated the people there. I need an area where the culture is not mainstream American, and as far from modern culture as possible. If you have any specific suggestions, I can look. Also my wife doesn't want anything colder than Harrisburg, PA.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Franklin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:59 pmI looked at the Columbus, Ohio area and I didn't like it at all. It felt like mainstream America. My wife wants to be around an urban area. The only 2 places in America that I have been in recent years where I don't hate the people are the area west of Harrisburg, PA and north Idaho. My wife went back to north Idaho and said that it has been ruined by an influx of Californians. I have been to several red state areas and I hated the people there. I need an area where the culture is not mainstream American, and as far from modern culture as possible. If you have any specific suggestions, I can look. Also my wife doesn't want anything colder than Harrisburg, PA.
It will be hard to find an area that is not mainstream America and yet is also near an urban area.

Holmes County is nothing like Columbus, even though it is an hour and a half (or an hour, depending on where you are) drive away.

If you want a place where people are rejecting modern society, there are places like that - the Mennonites in Athens, Tennessee come to mind. It's actually only an hour from Chattannooga which is a quite hip and trendy city, and half an hour from Cleveland TN. The Mennonites in Athens would share your concerns that you had about the Mexican Mennonites you encountered.
0 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:41 pm If you want a place where people are rejecting modern society, there are places like that - the Mennonites in Athens, Tennessee come to mind. It's actually only an hour from Chattannooga which is a quite hip and trendy city, and half an hour from Cleveland TN. The Mennonites in Athens would share your concerns that you had about the Mexican Mennonites you encountered.
Thanks, but in the map I use https://mcdirectory.org/#/map (use my email "fschmidt@gmail.com"), I don't see any Mennonite churches in this area. Do you have a map or list of the Mennonites near Athens, TN?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Franklin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:10 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:41 pm If you want a place where people are rejecting modern society, there are places like that - the Mennonites in Athens, Tennessee come to mind. It's actually only an hour from Chattannooga which is a quite hip and trendy city, and half an hour from Cleveland TN. The Mennonites in Athens would share your concerns that you had about the Mexican Mennonites you encountered.
Thanks, but in the map I use https://mcdirectory.org/#/map (use my email "fschmidt@gmail.com"), I don't see any Mennonite churches in this area. Do you have a map or list of the Mennonites near Athens, TN?
To find the Mennonites near Athens, one simply needs to go to Athens and ask around and somebody will tell you where to find them (I believe they have a produce / farmers market open to the public during the season). This particular group doesn't use the Internet and isn't reachable by telephone either (as they are rejecting modern society), and the people who publish the above directory don't think that such people are worthy of being included in their church directories.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

I thought that directly was simply pulling from CLP’s customer list or something. And not necessarily trying to make to “worthiness” judgement calls.

I’m happy to see that my church is now listed there.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:31 pm I thought that directly was simply pulling from CLP’s customer list or something. And not necessarily trying to make to “worthiness” judgement calls.

I’m happy to see that my church is now listed there.
Mine isn’t. Only certain church groups are listed. Old Order groups generally aren’t, Apostolic Christians aren’t, BMA isn’t (although Keystone is). The exact criteria for your group to be included isn’t stated publicly.
0 x