Dinosaurs

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Re: Dinosaurs

Post by Fidelio »

AnthonyMartin wrote:What impact does Old Earth/Young Earth, Dino or no, have on the good news of the Kingdom of God?
Old Earth undermines the Gospel and the Bible.
https://creation.com/Did-god-create-ove ... s-of-years
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

AnthonyMartin wrote:What impact does Old Earth/Young Earth, Dino or no, have on the good news of the Kingdom of God?
The Answers in Genesis crowd say that the young earth is the plain reading of the Bible, and if people don't trust that why would they trust the rest of the Bible as being true. I'm still undecided on the old earth/young earth question. Both sides make good points.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Since I was a staunch evolutionist that did try to corner people with the evolution/age of the earth/dinosaur questions and etc. I can say from my experience and my conversations with creation deniers is that the main reason these things are important to the kingdom of God is that as long as people can convince themselves that there is no Creator then they ease their conscience of not having accountability or guilt of sin. To them if there is no God then neither is there the kingdom of God.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Robert wrote:I will let you know at the end of the month. The youth of a local church are going to a Creation Museum. My 3 boys and myself are going along. I am not a young earther. I told the boys our job is not to prove anything right or wrong. but to listen and learn what we can while we are there.

Yes. Dinosaurs did exist. I see no reason for God to trick everyone to make it look like the world existed for millions/billions of years, only to have done it all in 10,000. Creation reveals God, not a set creation narrative.
I will be interesting in seeing your review. My view is that if God created a mature, functional universe from nothing, it could very well be a universe that appears to be millions of years old based on observable scientific processes. For example Adam being created as an adult male, or trees being created already having dozens of rings, or distant stars already visible. I don't view this as God playing tricks on us. But it does seem to make some of the search to scientifically prove a young earth rather pointless.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Suppose God is surprised to be accused by man of tricking us with the age of the earth, while at the same time giving us the Bible to read? We have Moses and the prophets...
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

RZehr wrote:Suppose God is surprised to be accused by man of tricking us with the age of the earth, while at the same time giving us the Bible to read? We have Moses and the prophets...
If you think God can be surprised I would imagine that says a lot about your Theology :)
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote:I will be interesting in seeing your review. My view is that if God created a mature, functional universe from nothing, it could very well be a universe that appears to be millions of years old based on observable scientific processes. For example Adam being created as an adult male, or trees being created already having dozens of rings, or distant stars already visible. I don't view this as God playing tricks on us. But it does seem to make some of the search to scientifically prove a young earth rather pointless.
On the off chance people misunderstood my view, I agree 100% with this.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Fidelio

Post by Fidelio »

mike wrote:
Robert wrote:I will let you know at the end of the month. The youth of a local church are going to a Creation Museum. My 3 boys and myself are going along. I am not a young earther. I told the boys our job is not to prove anything right or wrong. but to listen and learn what we can while we are there.

Yes. Dinosaurs did exist. I see no reason for God to trick everyone to make it look like the world existed for millions/billions of years, only to have done it all in 10,000. Creation reveals God, not a set creation narrative.
I will be interesting in seeing your review. My view is that if God created a mature, functional universe from nothing, it could very well be a universe that appears to be millions of years old based on observable scientific processes. For example Adam being created as an adult male, or trees being created already having dozens of rings, or distant stars already visible. I don't view this as God playing tricks on us. But it does seem to make some of the search to scientifically prove a young earth rather pointless.

The earth only appears to be millions of years old because of preconceived notions of long ages and uniformitarian processes by the viewer. A viewer with a young-earth creation world view will see flood-laid sediments with mass burial of drowned creatures. The universe may be a lot older in deep-space time but is no older than the earth from an earth-time perspective. Time is not a constant. But the Bible is pretty convincing about a young earth and all creation can be no older--from earth clocks, which means that it's creation began the same time the earth was created (first week) but massively more time may have passed in outer space during the "unfolding" of the universe. Frankly, the geneologies are pretty tight in the Bible and so much more than 6000 years from the creation of all things (including time) is pretty hard to reconcile with the Bible.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Fidelio wrote:The earth only appears to be millions of years old because of preconceived notions of long ages and uniformitarian processes by the viewer. A viewer with a young-earth creation world view will see flood-laid sediments with mass burial of drowned creatures. The universe may be a lot older in deep-space time but is no older than the earth from an earth-time perspective. Time is not a constant. But the Bible is pretty convincing about a young earth and all creation can be no older--from earth clocks, which means that it's creation began the same time the earth was created (first week) but massively more time may have passed in outer space during the "unfolding" of the universe. Frankly, the geneologies are pretty tight in the Bible and so much more than 6000 years from the creation of all things (including time) is pretty hard to reconcile with the Bible.
I disagree. The earth appears old in some instances because of known, measurable scientific processes. For example, we know the rate at which starlight travels. We also can measure the distance to a star. There are stars which, based on the speed of light, are farther away than the light could possibly have traveled in 6,000 years. This is an indication that either the universe is older than 6,000 years, or else that God created the starlight "in transit," which is the position of some young-earth creationists. Neither view is due to a "pre-conceived notion." With respect, telling an astronomer that he only believes what he can see with his eyes because of pre-conceived notions will get you nowhere in convincing him that God created the universe.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Fidelio

Post by Fidelio »

mike wrote:
Fidelio wrote:The earth only appears to be millions of years old because of preconceived notions of long ages and uniformitarian processes by the viewer. A viewer with a young-earth creation world view will see flood-laid sediments with mass burial of drowned creatures. The universe may be a lot older in deep-space time but is no older than the earth from an earth-time perspective. Time is not a constant. But the Bible is pretty convincing about a young earth and all creation can be no older--from earth clocks, which means that it's creation began the same time the earth was created (first week) but massively more time may have passed in outer space during the "unfolding" of the universe. Frankly, the geneologies are pretty tight in the Bible and so much more than 6000 years from the creation of all things (including time) is pretty hard to reconcile with the Bible.
I disagree. The earth appears old in some instances because of known, measurable scientific processes. For example, we know the rate at which starlight travels. We also can measure the distance to a star. There are stars which, based on the speed of light, are farther away than the light could possibly have traveled in 6,000 years. This is an indication that either the universe is older than 6,000 years, or else that God created the starlight "in transit," which is the position of some young-earth creationists. Neither view is due to a "pre-conceived notion." With respect, telling an astronomer that he only believes what he can see with his eyes because of pre-conceived notions will get you nowhere in convincing him that God created the universe.
I thought I explained the time disparity. For a clearer and more detailed explanation I recommend reading this article to see how light from stars hundreds of thousands of light years away can be seen in a young earth in only a few thousand years time since the stars were created.
https://creation.com/how-can-distant-st ... 6000-years
0 x