Historic Anabaptist Places (Pictures itt)

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Historic Anabaptist Places (Pictures itt)

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Noted. They worked when I sent it. I am using google pictures. Any advice?

J.M.
Google photos links sometimes change overnight and pictures don't work anymore. I use flickr. You get to upload 1000 photos for free on flickr...
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

failed again.

Will try later. J,M,
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Trying Again
Sattler Memorial stone in Rottenberg an Im
The Im, where Margaratha was drowned
The Emmenthal "Old Baptist" church, likely the oldest Mennonite church continuously in operation.

Let's see how this works,

J.M.

*** Added by Robert
Here is the link to the images. They can be viewed by clicking the following link.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183228940 ... ed-public/
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Swiss Bro wrote:I've got one more for you. The Anabaptist Cave (Täuferhöhle) above Bäretswil in the Zurich highlands. It is a hiding place of the anabaptists. Felix Manz hid there, amongst others. It can be approached from Bäretswil in about 20 Minutes but we approached it from Girenbad, which takes about an hour.
I checked the elevations on Google Maps before going, and starting from Girenbad (S14 to Hinwil, then bus 875 toward Ringwil) does seem to involve the least climbing, though still a decent amount as the photos show. Leaving, I went to Oberdorf (near Bäretswil) to catch the bus, since that route runs more frequently. The sign at the site says 20 min. to Wappenswil and 1:10 to Bäretswil, which seems about right as I recall. It's all downhill in that direction. At the first intersection below the cave, near Oberholenstein, there are a pair of historical posters with the story of the Anabaptists in the region.
Meet my wife.
:wave: Hi, Swiss Sis.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Let's see how this works,

J.M.
Still doesn't. Why don't you send me a private message with a link to your google photos you want to upload and I will see if I can do it...
ohio jones wrote:I checked the elevations on Google Maps before going, and starting from Girenbad (S14 to Hinwil, then bus 875 toward Ringwil) does seem to involve the least climbing, though still a decent amount as the photos show. Leaving, I went to Oberdorf (near Bäretswil) to catch the bus, since that route runs more frequently. The sign at the site says 20 min. to Wappenswil and 1:10 to Bäretswil, which seems about right as I recall. It's all downhill in that direction. At the first intersection below the cave, near Oberholenstein, there are a pair of historical posters with the story of the Anabaptists in the region.
I missed out on those posters...

Regarding the climbing, I checked that out:

If you walk all the way from Bäretswil you climb 234 meters from Bäretswil station at 696 meters above sea level to the cave which is at 930m. However, if you have a car you can drive up to Wappenswil from where its a rather leisurly stroll of 20 mins and you'll start out at 806m.

Coming from Girenbad at 779m you have to climb up exactly to the 1000m mark and then walk those stairs in the picture down to the cave. This is roughly 220 meters up hill climbing.

So I would say both ways involve about the same amount of climbing to get to the cave unless you have a car and drive up to Wappenswil. Doing the walk you did is certainly a good option as you won't see the same way twice and don't have to climb up those stairs in the wood.
0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

I got J.M.'s pics. Let's see how that works...:

This would be the Sattler memorial stone in Rottenburg am Neckar:

and here the place where his wife Margaretha was presumably drowned:

This are the cages in Münster where the corpses of the "Theocrats" were displayed:

The "church" of the Langnau Mennonite (Old Baptist) congregation.

J.M., please note that this building is "only" used by the congregation since 1836. Prior to that, they were meeting at "the Giebel". However, in 1835 the Langnau congregation split after a visit by Samuel H. Fröhlich in 1832. Since that time, the Mennonites were also known as "Alttäufer" ("Old Baptists") and the Fröhlichianer as "Neutäufer" ("New Baptists"), now known in America as the Apostolic Christian Church. The "Old Baptists" moved to the Kehr, the "New Baptists" kept the Giebel. The "New Baptist" congregation split again in 1908 over the facial hair issue. The "tolerant" side (today Evangelische Täufergemeinde, ETG) kept the Giebel meeting hall whereas the "intolerant" side (today Gemeinschaft Evangelisch Taufgesinnter, GET) is now meeting in Bärau.
0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

I did an early evening walk through Zurich a few days ago and took a few pictures of famous anabaptist places for y'all.

Let me take you to the "Schipfe" first. It's the shore of the Limmat river, more or less where Felix Manz was drowned in 1527. Back in the day there were a few buildings in the middle of the river, amongst others, the Wellenberg tower where Manz was held captive. Today, you can catch one of these boats for a tourist ride.

A memorial plaque was installed in 2004. It reads:

"At this place, in the middle of the Limmat, from a fisher platform, Felix Manz and five other Anabaptists were drowend in the Reformation period between 1527 and 1532. The last anabaptist to be executed in Zurich was Hans Landis in 1614"

Looking upstream from the Hans Brun bridge. The spot with the plaque would be mid picture on the right. On the left you can see the twin towers of the Grossmünster where Zwingli preached, on the right the towers of Fraumünster and St. Peter.

Image[/url]

And here's the famous picture of Manz' execution from wikipedia. I would assume the guys standing right on the far shore are where the Schipfe is.

0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Here we are at the Neumarkt, in the middle of medieval Zurich. In this building, today a theatre, Conrad Grebel was born and raised.

Looking into the Neumarkt (new market).

There is another memorial plaque on the house. It reads:

"in this house lived, from 1508 -1514 and 1520 - 1525 Konrad Grebel who established anabaptism together with Felix Manz"

0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

We have now arrived at the Grossmünster, where Zwingli was preaching, so to speak the headquarters of the Reformation.

Right behind the Grossmünster, a small street begins, the Neustadtgasse.

This street housed many church officials, amongst others, Felix Manz' father, who was a canon at the Grossmünster. His father should have lived in celibacy but most church officials had children and did not even hide the fact.

Looking into the street.

It's not known which was the Manz house. I found the house of the chaplain. It's the red house on the left. In the gap between the two houses you can see the tower of the Grossmünster.

On the little square on the left after the red house is a fountain. Some say it was here that the first baptisms took place on 21 January 1525.

0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

We are no longer in the city of Zurich now, but in the nearby village of Zollikon. It was here that the anabaptists assembled after they were evicted from the city. I've shown you pictures of their meeting house in the first post of this thread. This was the very first anabaptist congregation in the world.

Here is the church of Zollikon, famous because Blaurock was disturbing church services on 29 January 1525. The next day, the anabaptist leaders were caught and imprisoned.

0 x