MennoNet and Genealogy

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: MennoNet and Genealogy

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:31 pm
Neto wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:46 am Then along a different line, I also say I'm Dutch Mennonite when wanting to make a distinctive reference to the Dutch "baptism-minded" as distinct from the Swiss Brethren heritage and tradition.
This is confusing, because using the term "Dutch" around here usually is in reference to Pennsylvania Dutch, which encompass the Swiss Brethren groups. My wife and her family would be quite confident they aren't "Dutch" since they aren't Amish or PA Dutch. They would be very comfortable saying they are Russian Mennonites.
And, there were also Swiss Mennonites in Russia, and they were not Plautdietsch people. So 'Dutch Mennonite' is an ethnic description that goes back farther than does "Russian Mennonite", which I do not consider an accurate ethnic description.
Well, the term arose in 1874 when people came from Russia (despite some people's insistence on calling it Ukraine), and they were Mennonites. So they got called Russian Mennonites. That's the accepted term.
(And, also even farther back than is the Plautdietsch identity.)
"Plautdietsch" isn't a term anyone in my circles really ever uses; the handful of people who can speak it might say they speak "plaut". I don't think anyone I go to church with really would agree that they have a "Plautdietsch identity". They would feel comfortable with terms "Russian Mennonite" and "Holdeman", although "Holdeman" includes non-Russian Mennonite people.
I would have to go back and find all of my uses of 'Dutch Mennonite' to be sure this is accurate, but I THINK I use the term in these two ways or for these two distinctions: as an Ethnic reference, and as a theological reference (that is, as distinct from Swiss Brethren tradition). Many people, however, use even just "Mennonite" as an ethnic reference. For me, it is primarily a theological reference. I realize that many consider it a cultural reference, but since there are very significant cultural differences within that general category, I choose to use more exact terminology. It's a bit like someone saying they are 'Cherokee', or 'Osage', as opposed to saying that they are 'American Indian', or 'Native American'. (Then there are also language family distinctions as well.)
As a theological reference, "Dutch Mennonite" is a useful term; as an ethnic reference, I don't think it is very useful, since it is just confusing, and as I said earlier, the people I know/live with/work with/go to church with who would fit in your ethnic reference would reject the term and in particular reject it saying they aren't "Dutch".
When talking with people who use the English word 'Dutch' to refer to what in the language itself they call 'Datsch', I say 'Holland Dutch, not PA Dutch'. But THEY are the ones who are using the 'wrong' word - that's not my fault, and I don't mind 'educating people', if they want to listen. If they aren't interested, then the subject of conversation drifts on to other things. When I used to self-identify as "Russian Mennonite" around here (back when I first came to Holmes County, Fall of 1982, then moved here at the end of the following Summer), many Beachy Amish-Mennonite people were surprised, and said they didn't know that there were Russians who were Mennonite. So it required clarification, to let them know that I was not talking about being ethnic Russian. I wasn't by any means the first of my people to come to this area, that had happened log ago. But as a history buff, I brought it up maybe too often. (Sometimes I did that to explain why I couldn't speak or understand "Datsch", and at the same time avoid the impression that I was "English". That would have made my close friendship with my future wife quite shocking, and unacceptable, in those circles and at that time.)

There is another reason I sort of latched onto the ethnic claim of being 'Dutch", one I don't think I've ever mentioned. I grew up thinking we were 'German', because the language of the church was German, and Plautdietsch was commonly referred to (in English) as "Low German". (Not entirely inaccurate.) I was bullied in public school for being "German", so when I found out that we aren't really German, but rather Dutch, I was relieved. I was actually almost shocked how much relief it gave me.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:45 pm When talking with people who use the English word 'Dutch' to refer to what in the language itself they call 'Datsch', I say 'Holland Dutch, not PA Dutch'. But THEY are the ones who are using the 'wrong' word - that's not my fault, and I don't mind 'educating people', if they want to listen.
As an Australian person of Hungarian and British ancestry, I am not going to arrogantly tell someone who is a native speaker of PA Dutch who considers themselves to be "Dutch" and to speak "Dutch" that they are wrong.

Where I live, Netherlands Dutch is rarely, if ever discussed, but PA Dutch is quite common. I don't know of anyone around here who speaks Netherlands Dutch and it certainly doesn't come up very often.

So it is safe to say that at least in this part of Ohio, in our local dialect, "Dutch" is a synonym for "Pennsylvania Dutch", and more specifically, almost always refers specifically to Amish and other Anabaptist-heritage people. (We don't really have any "Gay Dutch" here.)

This is a good example of how languages often drift and change over time. Considering that the number of people who identify as "Dutch" is increasing in multiple counties across this state, I expect this usage to become even more common.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:59 pm
Neto wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:45 pm When talking with people who use the English word 'Dutch' to refer to what in the language itself they call 'Datsch', I say 'Holland Dutch, not PA Dutch'. But THEY are the ones who are using the 'wrong' word - that's not my fault, and I don't mind 'educating people', if they want to listen.
As an Australian person of Hungarian and British ancestry, I am not going to arrogantly tell someone who is a native speaker of PA Dutch who considers themselves to be "Dutch" and to speak "Dutch" that they are wrong.

Where I live, Netherlands Dutch is rarely, if ever discussed, but PA Dutch is quite common. I don't know of anyone around here who speaks Netherlands Dutch and it certainly doesn't come up very often.

So it is safe to say that at least in this part of Ohio, in our local dialect, "Dutch" is a synonym for "Pennsylvania Dutch", and more specifically, almost always refers specifically to Amish and other Anabaptist-heritage people. (We don't really have any "Gay Dutch" here.)

This is a good example of how languages often drift and change over time. Considering that the number of people who identify as "Dutch" is increasing in multiple counties across this state, I expect this usage to become even more common.
I don't think it is arrogant to recognize that someone is in error. Please also note that I put the word 'wrong' in quotation markers. Also, I don't think I was clear in what I said. What I mean when I say that to someone, is that I myself am referring to 'Holland Dutch', not "PA Dutch'. I am not telling them that they are wrong (even though they actually are), just that I am using the word with a different meaning then they are accustomed to hearing it used. But the fact is that in the usage here, it is a confusion of the German word 'Deutsch' with the English word 'Dutch', which never properly refers to German.

I have talked with many Amish people (and Datsch speakers in general) about my own heritage, and no one has ever been offended, or interpreted my explanations as being arrogant. (It often comes up soon in their first telephone call, because since my business is totally with Amish and very conservative Mennonites, they very often start speaking in the language right off. I can understand a fair bit, but have to explain at some point that I cannot understand everything they said in Datsch, and then repeat back what I understood in English. It is then natural for me to explain why I don't speak the language, and why I have a "funny last name".)

But this confusion of the German word 'Deutsch' with the English word 'Dutch' is part of the reason why I've started referring to "Pennsylvania Dutch" by the language's correct name in that language, and do the same for the language of my own heritage. So I start by saying that I am Plautdietsch, and then if that draws a blank, then I say something like "Many people call us 'Russian Mennonite', because that's the country from which we came most recently. But, we are not Russian, but rather Holland Dutch, having moved from the Low Countries first to an area called Prussia, in what is now Poland, then later to the Russian Empire." If their eyes glaze over, then I drop it. Actually, a lot of Amish immediately recognise the name Plautdietsch, because many young Old Order Amish women have gone to various places in the States and Mexico to teach school in Old Colony settlements, and many New Order folks are involved in work with Old Colony people in Bolivia, Beleze, Peru, etc. (Because they are 'able' to fly, where as the Old Order generally do not.)

Anyway, I've drawn this discussion way off of what was intended, so I'm going to let it be now.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Neto wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:07 pm
Josh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:59 pm

I don't think it is arrogant to recognize that someone is in error. Please also note that I put the word 'wrong' in quotation markers. Also, I don't think I was clear in what I said. What I mean when I say that to someone, is that I myself am referring to 'Holland Dutch', not "PA Dutch'. I am not telling them that they are wrong (even though they actually are), just that I am using the word with a different meaning then they are accustomed to hearing it used. But the fact is that in the usage here, it is a confusion of the German word 'Deutsch' with the English word 'Dutch', which never properly refers to German.

I have talked with many Amish people (and Datsch speakers in general) about my own heritage, and no one has ever been offended, or interpreted my explanations as being arrogant. (It often comes up soon in their first telephone call, because since my business is totally with Amish and very conservative Mennonites, they very often start speaking in the language right off. I can understand a fair bit, but have to explain at some point that I cannot understand everything they said in Datsch, and then repeat back what I understood in English. It is then natural for me to explain why I don't speak the language, and why I have a "funny last name".)

But this confusion of the German word 'Deutsch' with the English word 'Dutch' is part of the reason why I've started referring to "Pennsylvania Dutch" by the language's correct name in that language, and do the same for the language of my own heritage. So I start by saying that I am Plautdietsch, and then if that draws a blank, then I say something like "Many people call us 'Russian Mennonite', because that's the country from which we came most recently. But, we are not Russian, but rather Holland Dutch, having moved from the Low Countries first to an area called Prussia, in what is now Poland, then later to the Russian Empire." If their eyes glaze over, then I drop it. Actually, a lot of Amish immediately recognise the name Plautdietsch, because many young Old Order Amish women have gone to various places in the States and Mexico to teach school in Old Colony settlements, and many New Order folks are involved in work with Old Colony people in Bolivia, Beleze, Peru, etc. (Because they are 'able' to fly, where as the Old Order generally do not.)

Anyway, I've drawn this discussion way off of what was intended, so I'm going to let it be now.
It is interesting to me that there are numerous words in the PA Deutsch that are also in Yiddish. I am not sure which direction the 'contamination' went but I am guessing it was Schwaben Deutsch words that were taken into the Yiddish.
2 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:32 am OK, so just put it in a slightly different light. Does that mean I’ll end up being baptized by proxy if I use the site? I did think it looked pretty interesting but that’s a little bit strange. I also was waffling between using my own name, and some random obviously made up name, which would feel a little less OK on a religious site.
I don't think so. They are scanning in all the obituaries from all over the nation so they will have you listed whether you want listed or not. Now what I do not know is whether using the site grants them permission to baptize you, but I think not, as they make a distinction between members and non-members. If they want to baptize me by proxy once I am gone, it does not matter to me. I think it makes no more difference than baptizing and infant or an uncoverted person. The only thing that happens in such cases is that somebody got wet unnecessarily.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 pm
Soloist wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:32 am OK, so just put it in a slightly different light. Does that mean I’ll end up being baptized by proxy if I use the site? I did think it looked pretty interesting but that’s a little bit strange. I also was waffling between using my own name, and some random obviously made up name, which would feel a little less OK on a religious site.
I don't think so.
They are scanning in all the obituaries from all over the nation so they will have you listed whether you want listed or not.

Now what I do not know is whether using the site grants them permission to baptize you, but I think not, as they make a distinction between members and non-members. If they want to baptize me by proxy once I am gone, it does not matter to me. I think it makes no more difference than baptizing and infant or an uncoverted person.

The only thing that happens in such cases is that somebody got wet unnecessarily.
2012 / “Mormons apologize for baptizing of dead Jews”
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mormons-ap ... dead-jews/

To begin, i was hesitant to use the LDS’s records. Not anymore. i hope it’s ok.
i was somewhat aware of their genealogy work long ago. The internet made it accessible.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Ernie wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:39 pmI just learned that my wife and I are seventh cousins.
I'm supposedly a descendent of Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand I of Habsburg who dealt ruthlessly with my spiritual forbearers. But after researching it more for a couple hours, there is really no good proof of this currently. He is supposed, by some, to be the great-grandfather of Bishop Hermann Isaac op den Graeff, who signed the Dordrecht Confession of Faith.

PM me your ID number from FamilySearch and I can tell you how closely we are related. And I can even post the results here on Mennonet if you are fine with that. :-)
Ernie, having been adopted, I started my family search a few years back. Most of my records have been built on Ancestry and Wikitree. I had 23&me but it's not as user friendly for building trees, accessing documentation, etc. FamilySearch seemed good too, but I had to focus in on a particular site and a lot of my active connections were on Ancestry (which is definitely pricey if you're not using it regularly). Long story short, I was adopted by a Brethren family out in California (closed adoption, no identifying info) as an infant, but after a couple DNA tests, working on family trees, and making a few connections, it turned out my (adopted) mom and I are 8th cousins, being descended from dear old Bishop Hans Landis. Apparently my great grandpa on the Landis side left his Lancaster Menno roots and headed west. As it turns out, I also have a good chunk of Abbe/Aebbe/Ebby/Eby floating back there too - welcome to the family!
2 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Yiddish is close to/influence by German. PA Dutch, as has been said, is really PA Deutsch. That is, Deutsch is German. So the Yiddish/Deutsch connection is pretty obvious.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

joshuabgood wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 pm Yiddish is close to/influence by German. PA Dutch, as has been said, is really PA Deutsch. That is, Deutsch is German. So the Yiddish/Deutsch connection is pretty obvious.
I can understand both bits of PA Dutch and Yiddish because of my fluency in High German. There's also a lot of Hebrew in Yiddish that I don't understand.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:57 pm
joshuabgood wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 pm Yiddish is close to/influence by German. PA Dutch, as has been said, is really PA Deutsch. That is, Deutsch is German. So the Yiddish/Deutsch connection is pretty obvious.
I can understand both bits of PA Dutch and Yiddish because of my fluency in High German. There's also a lot of Hebrew in Yiddish that I don't understand.
When the state of Israel was formed it was apparently a close call whether to make the official language Hebrew or Yiddish. Yiddish was favored by conservative religious Jews and more spoken by the lower classes. Hebrew was favored by the more cultural and political elite.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr