Poll: Are some societies more God fearing, moral, and "good" than others?

A place to discuss history and historical events.

Choose those that reflect your view...

1. The world is generally a much worse place now than at some time in the past.
17%
2. The USA is generally at a much worse place now than at some time in the past.
17%
3. The world is somewhat worse now than at some time in the past.
6%
4. The USA is somewhat worse now than at some time in the past.
8%
5. The world is generally about the same as it always was.
14%
6. The USA is generally about the same as it always was.
6%
7. The world is generally a better place now that at other times in history.
11%
8. The USA is generally at a better place now than at other times history.
11%
9. Other.
11%

Total votes: 36

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: Are some societies more God fearing, moral, and "good" than others?

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:07 pm My point is that I don't think human nature has really changed whether you are talking about 2023, 1950, 1850, 1500 or ancient times. It is popular to wring one's hands at the state of America or the state of the world today. But I don't buy it. I think we all too often look at the past with rose colored glasses. Not that things are perfect today. Far from it. I just don't think there was really ever a golden age. We do some things better today and some things worse. Same as it ever was.
I don't think human nature has changed, but I believe some societies are more God-fearing, moral, and "good" than others.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Poll: Are some societies more God fearing, moral, and "good" than others?

Post by Szdfan »

I think each era has its own challenges and that human nature doesn't change. Some things get better, some things get worse.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Romans 3
22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction; 23 since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus,
Rather than a place or even an era or age, I personally I believe it is much about overall state of human nature. All humans are sinners in need of grace. Nations and organisations rise and fall and as such are temporary. Fearing God, obeying God, and seeking to be His Disciples falls upon each and every individual rather than an outside force such as societies, nations, or even fellowships marketed as utopias. YMMV.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would say that a society with widespread child sacrifice is worse than one that does not have such a thing.

Indeed, God commanded the Israelites to invade and utterly destroy every inhabitant of Canaan to the last woman, child, and even livestock. That is how "bad" their society was.
1 x