Uvalde

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Uvalde

Post by Ernie »

I'll start this thread by saying that I think citizens having firearms for purposes other than shooting animals is a bad idea. I say this from a this-world perspective.

In addition, I think it is wrong for Christians to have firearms for purposes of self-defense.

So now to the point of this thread...

Texas is supposed to be a place where people have lots of liberty to restrain violence, yet those with the legal power to restrain violence did not do so for 70 minutes. What does this say about the ideology of those who believe in "the right to bear arms" if even law enforcement waited so long to restrain violence. I don't read the second amendment stuff much online, so I have no idea how they explain what happened in Uvalde and what this says about their philosophy about needing more armed citizens and law enforcement in the US.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/a ... nt-report/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Uvalde

Post by Ken »

What Uvalde tells us is that having armed men inside and around schools doesn't keep children safe.

What keeps children safe is keeping weaponry out of the hands of psychotic teenagers.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I don't like to critique law enforcement officers who are slow to shoot.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

It will be interesting to see how courts rule, i believe this part is just beginning.

Uvalde has been discussed in several threads: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=uvalde

2 busy threads:

BPA / Border Patrol Agents
viewtopic.php?t=4777
The Second Amendment:
viewtopic.php?t=4779

PREVENTION is ideal.
i’m not aware in any uptick in gun violence among healthy, well-adjusted, law-abiding citizens, armed or not.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:28 pm I don't like to critique law enforcement officers who are slow to shoot.
I do when they decide to let a maniac shoot a bunch of children. There would have been even more dead kids except an off duty Border Patrolman took control of things.

Contrast with the Nashville shooter, a deranged maniac transsexual, who was quickly taken out by the police before she could kill more people.
0 x