THE ATLANTIC ARTICLE: THE RETURN OF THE PAGANS

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

THE ATLANTIC ARTICLE: THE RETURN OF THE PAGANS

Post by RZehr »

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: THE ATLANTIC ARTICLE: THE RETURN OF THE PAGANS

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:36 am Read and comment on the part that you found interesting.

https://apple.news/ANykdM-51Sp-urI5JjF_wuw

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ft/676945/
I found it interesting that they picked a rabbi to write about paganism. Not surprising he reached negative conclusions. comparing paganism to monotheism. There are alternate arguments that he failed to even touch.

Would they pick a pagan or atheist to write about Christianity or Judaism?

Note: I'm not any sort of defender of paganism. I think it is just the latest trendy "new age" religion. There is always something new and trendy. When I was in college, Buddhism was the trendy thing. These things go in cycles. I don't pay it much attention but the new converts can be annoying when they dive in head first and expect you to care.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

My issue with the piece is that it uses an overly broad catch-all definition of "paganism." The argument feels a bit like "everything I don't like is paganism."

While Wolpe does acknowledge that monotheism "has it's failings," he does categorically ignore examples of how religion has also pursued power, wealth and beauty -- just look at the Vatican.

Wolpe is making overly broad and generalized arguments -- and ends up pointing to extremes in order to make his points. Most liberals and environmentalists are not as extreme as Peter Singer's views on animal liberation. Even Singer is not as extreme as Wolpe describes him. Singer has argued that there are ethical ways to eat meat and has argued for the importance of altruism to end world poverty.

I agree with Wolpe that there are things going on in our culture right now that are extremely concerning -- the idolatry of power and wealth (Elon and Trump are not the role models we should be looking for) -- but I'm not convinced that this is all due to "paganism." My friends and aquaintances who identity themselves as pagan would have significant issues with his characterizations.

I also agree with Wolpe that there is a divine out there that's larger than ourselves (that we are creatures created by God) and that this reality should shape our ethical behavior. However, it's also possible to live according to a secular ethical framework. It's possible to be an atheist and be a good person, just as it's possible to be a Christian and a jerk.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:18 amThe argument feels a bit like "everything I don't like is paganism."
In some Anabaptist circles, pietiesm is the thing that seems to include everything I don't like.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

"Pietism" is used by Anabaptist people to mean "evangelical Protestant doctrine (that I don't like)", generally speaking. I'm not sure it's an entirely inaccurate use, though.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Might be well to look back at a previous (and fairly recent) discussion here about paganism.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5656&hilit=paganism
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Technically "paganism" does mean anything that is not Jewish, Christian, Islamic, or some derivative thereof; but with such a working definintion, an article about "the return of the pagans" really should just be called "the rise of non-Judeo-Christian-Islamic religiosity".
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:36 am Read and comment on the part that you found interesting.

https://apple.news/ANykdM-51Sp-urI5JjF_wuw

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ft/676945/
I thought this was interesting:
Most ancient pagan belief systems were built around ritual and magic, coercive practices intended to achieve a beneficial result. They centered the self. The revolutionary contribution of monotheism was its insistence that the principal concern of God is, instead, how people treat one another.

Although paganism is one of those catchall words applied to widely disparate views, the worship of natural forces generally takes two forms: the deification of nature, and the deification of force.
Seems true to me ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Assuming there is a general shift toward "forces of nature" and power, this could present great opportunity for followers of a God who is truly and universally powerful. Maybe we should think of it as a rejection of man made religious activities and a quest to find the God who is alive and works in the world.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 am Technically "paganism" does mean anything that is not Jewish, Christian, Islamic, or some derivative thereof; but with such a working definintion, an article about "the return of the pagans" really should just be called "the rise of non-Judeo-Christian-Islamic religiosity".
Exactly. Paganism is a label that Christians apply to other non-Christian religions. There hasn't ever been a separate stand-alone self-identified Pagan religion. Although it seems that in modern times certain new age-ish religions seem to want to appropriate the term.

Apparently the term "pagan" or "paganism" was first coined by early Christians to refer to the Greek and Roman polytheism (Jupiter, Janus, Mars, Mercury, Venus, etc,).

But in later centuries after Constantine, when the Roman Empire and later "Christendom" encountered any non-Christian religion from the Celtic druids to the Norse and Germanic polytheism to every form of religion in the new world and Africa, Christians just labeled all of it pagan by default.

So it is kind of a meaningless term and could be applied to anything from Celtic and Norse Gods to the religions of the Hopi, Navajo and Northwest tribes to the animist beliefs of various sub-Saharan African tribal groups. Belief systems that differ as much from each other as they do from Christianity.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr