Bud Light

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Bud Light

Post by RZehr »

;) Is this title for a topic okay? If no one else grins, I figure that steve-in-kville will.

I’ve been reading in the news about this Bud Light rumpus over trans gender that apparently is disquieting an assortment of their core customers.

As I sit on the sidelines, I wonder why Christians would pick one side or the other on this. Stick up for the drunkards or perverts?
And what might make free market conservatives choose one side or another?

And as I see this happening, I think that the LGBTQ will win this and other fights like it sooner than later. Every time. Because I don’t see the right wing as a movement (individuals, sure), actually have much principles that they are grounded in. The right seems to just be confusedly fighting against change. But they really don’t seem grounded in truth and God. So they have very little compelling foundational principles that they can articulate as to why these things ought not happen. They want the right to get drunk, but want to forbid the right to get high. They want the right to fornicate heterosexually, but want to draw the line where it is convenient for them. And they want the right for their women to have unnatural and unnecessary cosmetic surgery, but want to draw the line where it offends their sensibilities.

And I completely agree that drawing these lines is better than nothing, and I wholeheartedly wish them every success. But it seems a little arbitrary to me. Particularly when I believe that it is nothing more than a temporary pause in this country’s slide away from good.

A boycott? When have those worked?
3 x
RZehr

Re: Bud Light

Post by RZehr »

I read a business article a long time ago, that hard alcohol brands have their customers. And the strategy that Bud Light used isn’t all that successful. Rather, the companies just own many brands, and target specific brands to specific demographics and specific customers. Instead of trying to get other demographics to all buy one brand.

For example, keep the Mexicans loyal to one brand, Blacks to another, rednecks to another, women to another, men to another, young drinkers to another. Just own all these brands. And as the young, new drinkers age, just keep that generation drinking the same brand all their life. And use another brand to capture the next generation. Because that successful brand of old geezers will obviously never be cool enough for the young geezers.
Last edited by RZehr on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I’ll boycott both sides and call it good.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:30 pm ;) Is this title for a topic okay? If no one else grins, I figure that steve-in-kville will.

It was the first post I clicked on, for sure 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:34 pm I’ll boycott both sides and call it good.
What is the "other side?"

There is Bud Light and.....?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:34 pm I’ll boycott both sides and call it good.
What is the "other side?"

There is Bud Light and.....?
Stick up for the drunkards or perverts?
See above
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:49 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:30 pm ;) Is this title for a topic okay? If no one else grins, I figure that steve-in-kville will.

It was the first post I clicked on, for sure 8-)
:lol: If we start a thread at Bud Light, imagine where it could be in three pages or so?
Last edited by RZehr on Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

It could prove interesting to see where this thread goes. :laugh

Doesn't take much to go off the rails- either in a good and fun way or a bad way- but go off the rails seems to be most threads.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

The other strange thing, I think, is that the other beer brands also support LGBTQ. At least that’s what I read. So it’s interesting that this relatively low profile decision has been met with such blowback. While the other times have been apparently ignored.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:33 pm The other strange thing, I think, is that the other beer brands also support LGBTQ. At least that’s what I read. So it’s interesting that this relatively low profile decision has been met with such blowback. While the other times have been apparently ignored.
Basically every large corporation does now, which is sometimes called “woke capitalism”. Interestingly a decade or two ago, the right wing conservatives were in favour of big business and corporate consolidation.
0 x