Amish gun dealer

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Amish gun dealer

Post by Jazman »

Maybe this belongs in the Anabaptist forum... but saw this in my local paper (may be pay-walled, but maybe the headline is sufficient) One little tidbit in the article mentioned that theoretically Amish can't purchase guns from licensed dealers because they have to produce a photo id... but they're not supposed to be photographed...

So can someone more knowledgeable of the Amish and gun purchasing help me out here? How is there a huge hunting/gun culture among the Amish (at least in my area) if there are these hurdles? :?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Amish gun dealer

Post by Ken »

Jazman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm Maybe this belongs in the Anabaptist forum... but saw this in my local paper (may be pay-walled, but maybe the headline is sufficient) One little tidbit in the article mentioned that theoretically Amish can't purchase guns from licensed dealers because they have to produce a photo id... but they're not supposed to be photographed...

So can someone more knowledgeable of the Amish and gun purchasing help me out here? How is there a huge hunting/gun culture among the Amish (at least in my area) if there are these hurdles? :?
Maybe they purchase through gun shows and private sales where ID checks aren't required? Or maybe they do what this guy was doing and just normally don't get caught. Maybe there is a whole clandestine network of Amish arms dealers :lol: It sounds like he was kind of pushing the envelope and just got caught. He must have been selling a lot of guns or got turned in by some disgruntled competitor if he attracted the attention of the ATF.

From the article:
Reuben King declined to say how many guns he had or sold, but that more than 600 — which is what a tipster told LNP — didn’t sound right.
"Didn't sound right?" That's not exactly a denial. I'm sure he knows EXACTLY how many guns he sold. But more than 600 guns is a bit different from selling your old rifle on Craigslist because you got new one.

The Amish do have some specific religious exemptions from certain US laws such as for social security and compulsory schooling. But they aren't exempt from all laws and I think sometimes those boundaries get blurred. This sounds like one of those cases. I don't think there is a compelling religious liberty issue involved with selling firearms without a license.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Jazman:
.. So can someone more knowledgeable of the Amish and gun purchasing help me out here? ..

You’re not asking for opinions/speculation? :?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

You beat me to this thread topic. I knew these operations existed in the Lancaster County area. My biggest question would be, where did these guns come from? If he was buying them wholesale (for resale) then he was breaking some laws. If it was used and from auctions and such, I can see his position on the issue.

For the record, it takes an awful lot to get the ATF's attention :mrgreen:
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Jazman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm Maybe this belongs in the Anabaptist forum... but saw this in my local paper (may be pay-walled, but maybe the headline is sufficient) One little tidbit in the article mentioned that theoretically Amish can't purchase guns from licensed dealers because they have to produce a photo id... but they're not supposed to be photographed...

Historically, photo ID wasn't required, and people tend to inherit their firearms or buy them in private-party sales.

One thing is for sure: if someone wants to try to reduce gun violence or gun trafficking, the Amish are probably the wrong place to start. Although personally as a Holdeman I could never see myself running or owning a gun dealer. Selling a few old guns privately I know will be used for hunting or other lawful purposes, sure.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:46 am You beat me to this thread topic. I knew these operations existed in the Lancaster County area. My biggest question would be, where did these guns come from? If he was buying them wholesale (for resale) then he was breaking some laws. If it was used and from auctions and such, I can see his position on the issue.

And this case is probably going to get a lot of attention from pro-2nd amendment organisations if anything does go to trial. The right to privately buy and sell arms without reporting to the government is a very key piece of 2nd amendment freedoms; the path to gun confiscation like happened in Australia always starts with banning private sales.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:31 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:46 am You beat me to this thread topic. I knew these operations existed in the Lancaster County area. My biggest question would be, where did these guns come from? If he was buying them wholesale (for resale) then he was breaking some laws. If it was used and from auctions and such, I can see his position on the issue.

And this case is probably going to get a lot of attention from pro-2nd amendment organisations if anything does go to trial. The right to privately buy and sell arms without reporting to the government is a very key piece of 2nd amendment freedoms; the path to gun confiscation like happened in Australia always starts with banning private sales.
Selling 600+ guns is not private gun sales. The article doesn't say what kind of weapons he was selling but if it was ordinary bolt-action hunting rifles those retail for perhaps $500 on average for the cheaper brands like Ruger and Savage. Much more for fancier stuff or the military-style weapons popular these days. With a typical 25% markup he would have had sales on the order of $300,000 and profits on the order of $75,000 or more. That's running a business not doing private gun sales between friends.
1 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:00 pm
Jazman:
.. So can someone more knowledgeable of the Amish and gun purchasing help me out here? ..

You’re not asking for opinions/speculation? :?
Well I guess not...I believe I'm most interested in the laws/legalize, etc... although I don't really care either way. I'm not a hunter or into the hunting culture that I think many Amish are into. I also don't know all the details of gun purchasing and need for photo ID's etc. The article hints at possible conflict between Amish belief and what this Amishman practiced as it relates to the laws. So I need help with understanding the legalize...
1 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

The non-amish that purchased guns most likely were prohibited by law to own one and knew they couldn't get past the background check. Many years ago, there was a Mennonite guy that was operating much the same... had to know someone who knew someone and be introduced to him. He resold guns at a premium, too.

There is also the strawman purchase route, but shop owners typically pick them out as its a liability to them.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Ken

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:31 am The non-amish that purchased guns most likely were prohibited by law to own one and knew they couldn't get past the background check. Many years ago, there was a Mennonite guy that was operating much the same... had to know someone who knew someone and be introduced to him. He resold guns at a premium, too.

There is also the strawman purchase route, but shop owners typically pick them out as its a liability to them.
That's the thing. There are legal gun shops everywhere. And out here we have massive gun shops like Cabela's. I expect there are the equivalent in PA as well, if not actual Cabela's themselves. It is ridiculously easy to buy guns if you are legally entitled to do so. You don't have to search out some obscure Amish farmer who knows someone who knows someone to do a deal in the back room of his barn.
0 x