Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

I, or someone I’m close to will be hospitalized.

Total votes: 0

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr: I changed my vote to 50/50. I now know of 3 who’ve been hospitalized and one death. In those areas where protests are ongoing, there’s an uptick in the numbers of those testing positive.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Bumping this thread.
It’s been 40 weeks since the first post. Unfortunately I have to mark #1. I now know multiple close people who have been hospitalized, including my Dad.

Please update your responses.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

At this point, nobody close to me has been hospitalized or died, but it’s happened to people I know in my community.

My wife’s childhood pastor passed away last week. Several elderly members of my in-laws’ congregation have Covid and are very sick. This is a congregation that had resisted implementing any safety measures and had sermons about not giving into fear. The in-person funeral is Tuesday.

The community also lost one of the retired high school coaches, which is a big deal in a small town.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

We have had several people in our congregation who got Covid, some were hospitalized and two died. We know of two healthy young men in their 30's who contracted Covid and became extremely sick. One was hospitalized for four weeks, and is still on oxygen.

At the onset of the pandemic I felt our governor was a bit stringent in has Covid restrictions, but I have changed my mind about that. I still don't care for the fact that after he imposed Covid restrictions on the state, he set a poor example and marched in a BLM march. Nor do I care for his health secretary who pulled his/her own mother out of a nursing home, right before the governor said that nursing homes should take recovering Covid patients. His health secretary is right in that we need to look at the science of Covid, but he/she also sets a poor example in that as well, beings he/she doesn't believe in the science that when someone is biologically born as male or female, they are indeed, male or female. Dr. Richard/Rachel Levine is transgender.

However at this point I agree that the restrictions imposed probably are a good thing. I am often saddened when I enter a store and the only people not wearing masks, also are wearing head coverings. I think that is a very poor testimony.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

We know of some who have tested positive and only mild symptoms locally, no one in our family here. Have had some nieces and nephews in another state who tested positive but again just mild symptoms. Sadly have a niece who has felt 'convicted' to not wear a face mask. Don't know anyone personally who has been hospitalized but have friends who know of people who have. I live in MD- our governor has had a good approach all along- thoughtful, acting rather than reacting.

Have family who are staying fairly to very isolated to others who are not quite so much but thankfully all of my immediate family still wear masks where they are required to.
0 x
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

I don't personally know anyone who's had to be hospitalized or has died because of COVID-19. My older brother, sister-in-law, and mother have all had it. My brother said he and my SIL spent a week lying on the couch most of the time because of the fatigue. I was pretty concerned for my mother for a couple of days because I'd never heard her sound so sick. At one point she said she felt so bad that she wouldn't mind being hospitalized and my younger brother said she looked like death warmed over. Thankfully my siblings who live with her stepped up and took care of things around the house and made sure she actually got enough rest for once.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
puttincomputers
Affiliation: Red-Letter Anabap

Post by puttincomputers »

Just boosted my vote to #1. My former landlord in Gladys, VA, died last night from CoVid.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Thanks. Sorry to hear that.
To #1 from what number? I’m wondering about the #9 voters. That selection has held pretty steady. Have they simply lost interest in this poll, not updating? Or are they still relatively unaffected at this point in time?
0 x
puttincomputers
Affiliation: Red-Letter Anabap

Post by puttincomputers »

RZehr wrote:Thanks. Sorry to hear that.
To #1 from what number? I’m wondering about the #9 voters. That selection has held pretty steady. Have they simply lost interest in this poll, not updating? Or are they still relatively unaffected at this point in time?
I initially voted #2.

Btw, some of the folks here know my former landlord.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

RZehr wrote:Thanks. Sorry to hear that.
Unaffected mostly and have only heard of minor cold symptoms from those in our area that have tested positive.
0 x