Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

I, or someone I’m close to will be hospitalized.

Total votes: 0

RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Post by RZehr »

Two weeks later, with 41 answers, the poll results show:
36% believe they will be personally impacted, with the answers being from top, 3,7,5, 0.
22% still think there is a 50/50 chance, with 9 people choosing number five.
and 41% think it is unlikely that they will be personally impacted, with the answers being starting at six, 2,3,2,10,0.

Please change your vote if you no longer feel the same way you did in the past.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Four weeks later, I still think the chance of myself or someone I know being hospitalized for coronavirus is very unlikely. However I do now know someone personally who has the virus, although they apparently have minor symptoms. I also know some local folks whose church held revival meetings two weeks ago with an out of state evangelist who learned yesterday he has the virus.

I'm also hearing that our family doctor has seen multiple folks with sickness but has declined to test them for coronavirus and instructed them they are fine to work.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I know two people personally now that have been diagnosed but so far not hospitalised as far as I know. One is 78 years old and the other 80. Both contacted it while travelling.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

How many of us at this point know someone who has died or been hospitalized from this?

Six and a half weeks later, with 43 answers, the poll results show:
39% believe they will be personally impacted, with the answers being from top, 3,7,7, 0.
21% still think there is a 50/50 chance, with 9 people choosing number five.
and 40% think it is unlikely that they will be personally impacted, with the answers being starting at six, 2,3,2,10,0.

0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I still think it highly unlikely that I or someone close to me will be hospitalized.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

We’ve talked with my daughters that the reason I’m not going to work right now is because I’m high risk because diabetes. So far, they seem to have handled it well.

Yesterday, however, we had a blow up after I had to discipline them. My oldest daughter cried as she told me that even though I “suck” as a dad, she doesn’t want me to die and she was afraid I was going to catch COVID-19.

So I tried to assure her that we are doing everything we can to keep me safe so that I don’t catch it and that it’s not her job to protect me. Rather it’s my job to protect her.

Things have been rough with her, as she’s eleven going on sixteen, but it’s nice to hear that she doesn’t want me to die. :D
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

The poll says "someone I'm close to" and the OP says "someone I know." Sticking with the poll description, I'll leave my vote the same at 8.

I know only one person in my entire network of friends and acquaintances who has had a confirmed case of coronavirus, but hers was pretty serious. After almost two weeks on the ventilator, a few days in a regular hospital room, and two weeks in rehab to deal with other complications, she is now back home.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Initially we were many steps removed from anyone with the disease in the hospital. Now we have a few folks in the hospital who we know distantly, and a number of friends of friends in the hospital. It seems like it is getting relationally closer with time. I think we have a long way to go yet - so I'll leave my vote as a three - and hope for a seven or eight.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

So far, only one person I knew has died of confirmed COVID. Thirty six and relatively healthy. The circle gets much bigger if expanded to relatives of friends.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

How many of us at this point know someone who has died or been hospitalized from this?

13 weeks later, with 43 answers, the poll results show:
39% believe they will be personally impacted, with the answers being from top, 4, 7,6,0.
21% still think there is a 50/50 chance, with 9 people choosing number five.
and 40% think it is unlikely that they will be personally impacted, with the answers being starting at six, 2,3,2,10,0.

0 x