Nord Stream

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Who sabotaged it?

1. Russia or it’s allies
45%
2. Some fringe conspiracy, most probably the Big Tomato industry.
9%
3. USA or it’s allies
36%
4. Hunter Biden and Eric Trump goofing off
5%
5. The Solomon Islands or it’s allies
No votes
6. It was an accident
5%

Total votes: 22

Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Nord Stream

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:40 pm Who has the motivation for which lie?
Did you listen to the YouTube video? They explore that question in some depth.

But they also go into the available evidence and the results of three investigations. I mean, speculation alone only gets you so far. FWIW, the video says there's no solid evidence that it was Russia.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:54 pm

But they also go into the available evidence and the results of three investigations. I mean, speculation alone only gets you so far. FWIW, the video says there's no solid evidence that it was Russia.
I didn’t. I only watch YouTube if it’s related to my work or my patient watches something. I didn’t even read the article. The point though is both sides have some motivation… my cynicism of our country and others has only mounted the more history I know. Not that it’s directly related here, but our snubbing of Russia following WW1 laid the seeds of all our conflicts as well as our laying the seeds of WW2… by our supposed peace loving president at the time. I’ve been educating myself on my gaps of knowledge since I saw bits of “all quiet on the western front”… it’s also good to remember that the old prophets who predicted doom were rarely believed and often were the only voice who really told truth. This isn’t to say this guy is right, but back (how long ago now?) when I looked briefly into it, the destruction of the pipeline hurt Russia more then it helped them.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Did the three investigations find nothing because they were incompetent? Or because they didn't want to find anything? Or because the data didn't lead in the "right" direction?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:14 pm

I didn’t. I only watch YouTube if it’s related to my work or my patient watches something. I didn’t even read the article. The point though is both sides have some motivation… my cynicism of our country and others has only mounted the more history I know.
Well, for what it's worth, Putin seems to be claiming it was Britain. Britain denies it:

https://www.rferl.org/a/britian-denies- ... 06888.html

I don't know who it was. It's not impossible that it was the United States, but cynicism is not the same thing as knowledge. It can sometimes feel like knowledge, but I prefer to wait until we know.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:33 pm Did the three investigations find nothing because they were incompetent? Or because they didn't want to find anything? Or because the data didn't lead in the "right" direction?
Or because they didn't have solid evidence that told them who did it. You left that possibility out, but I think it's the most likely one. Think of it this way: if they point at the wrong culprit, that would have massive international repercussions. They don't want to get this wrong.

Germany, Denmark, and Sweden probably all assumed that Russia did it, but they said they have no solid evidence of that. I think there are rumblings that their governments still believe that Russia did it, but they don't want to claim that without solid proof.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:33 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:14 pm

I didn’t. I only watch YouTube if it’s related to my work or my patient watches something. I didn’t even read the article. The point though is both sides have some motivation… my cynicism of our country and others has only mounted the more history I know.
Well, for what it's worth, Putin seems to be claiming it was Britain. Britain denies it:

https://www.rferl.org/a/britian-denies- ... 06888.html

I don't know who it was. It's not impossible that it was the United States, but cynicism is not the same thing as knowledge. It can sometimes feel like knowledge, but I prefer to wait until we know.
I don’t know who it was nor did I ever claim to know.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:40 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:33 pm Did the three investigations find nothing because they were incompetent? Or because they didn't want to find anything? Or because the data didn't lead in the "right" direction?
Or because they didn't have solid evidence that told them who did it. You left that possibility out, but I think it's the most likely one. Think of it this way: if they point at the wrong culprit, that would have massive international repercussions. They don't want to get this wrong.

Germany, Denmark, and Sweden probably all assumed that Russia did it, but they said they have no solid evidence of that. I think there are rumblings that their governments still believe that Russia did it, but they don't want to claim that without solid proof.
That's also possible, but my observations and experience with government would suggest that the US wouldn't need solid evidence before they would accuse Russia, if they even just had a shred of evidence to go off of.
1 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Haven’t read the story, but the motivation was always a huge problem for me. In my opinion there’s no single country that has motivation enough that it outweighs the risks.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Both Russia and the U.S., maybe others.
i’m with Mike Lee, P.7, being troubled i can’t just trust the U.S. is above board and innocent. That’s sad.

And, believing this way, does NOT suggest i’m supporting or making excuses for Russia!
Jumping to such accusations/conclusions gets tiresome.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:50 pm
Both Russia and the U.S., maybe others.
i’m with Mike Lee, P.7, being troubled i can’t just trust the U.S. is above board and innocent. That’s sad.

And, believing this way, does NOT suggest i’m supporting or making excuses for Russia!
Jumping to such accusations/conclusions gets tiresome.
No country, Russia, USA, England, Germany and so on has ever been above the board and innocent.
They never have been, but our own patriotic propaganda is before us painting other countries as worse.
2 x