Opinion on the Roe v. Wade Leak

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Do you believe overturning Roe v. Wade be positive for the USA?

Yes
55%
No
13%
Don't know
32%

Total votes: 31

mike

Re: Opinion on the Roe v. Wade Leak

Post by mike »

wesleyb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 amWe adopted 2 through the foster system and everything you have said here rings true to me.
May I ask approximately what expense is involved with adopting through the foster system?
0 x
wesleyb

Post by wesleyb »

mike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:37 am
wesleyb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 amWe adopted 2 through the foster system and everything you have said here rings true to me.
May I ask approximately what expense is involved with adopting through the foster system?
None. They do all the paperwork and pay the attorney fees. I think we could even pick our own attorney, but they may have had to be on an approved list. There are actually additional subsidies available after adoption depending on the child's needs and parents income. This is in Virginia.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

wesleyb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:47 am
mike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:37 am
None. They do all the paperwork and pay the attorney fees. I think we could even pick our own attorney, but they may have had to be on an approved list. There are actually additional subsidies available after adoption depending on the child's needs and parents income. This is in Virginia.
Thanks for that information.
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

mike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 am
wesleyb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:47 am
mike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:37 amMay I ask approximately what expense is involved with adopting through the foster system?
Mike, here in PA (and perhaps it varies by which agency, too), the adopting parents might be out a grand or two, but they reimburse us immediately.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:54 am
mike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 am
wesleyb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:47 amNone. They do all the paperwork and pay the attorney fees. I think we could even pick our own attorney, but they may have had to be on an approved list. There are actually additional subsidies available after adoption depending on the child's needs and parents income. This is in Virginia.
Mike, here in PA (and perhaps it varies by which agency, too), the adopting parents might be out a grand or two, but they reimburse us immediately.
Interesting. I have wondered this because of watching families work, sometimes for years, fundraising to support an adoption and essentially marketing themselves as adoptive parents. So essentially, these families are paying a premium for a newborn baby, where adopting a child through the foster system would be much easier and practically cost nothing.
Last edited by mike on Fri May 06, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Very much so. And yet to be fair, there is often A. either a lack of awareness of the second (more economical) option and resources, or there is B. either an inability or unwillingness to take the unique risks and stresses that can come with foster-to-adopt options. And if it is financially viable for someone (I'm not much on the fundraising thing), the children adopted directly need a home too, so I'm not saying it's inherently wrong to go that route (it's how I wound up in the home I did), just that there are other options (and equally valid needs) that are not so far out of reach as is often assumed...
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Thank you Heirbyadoption for your perspective. I know parents who have gone through the foster care system here in NY, and there may be obstacles, but it is possible without lots of money.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:40 am
JimFoxvog wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:19 am
barnhart wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:30 pm After thinking about this bit, I wonder how likely a Roe overturn actually is. My memory is that Kavanaugh and Gorsuch clearly stated they accept Roe as established precedent and are not looking to undo this type of ruling. Barrette was less committed. I guess we will see.
Yes, this is a test of their honesty during Congressional questioning. While I think Roe v. Wade should be overturned, I don't like lying before Congress in order to promote one's agenda, which I suspect here.
They didn't lie before congress...read the transcript Barnhart posted.
I did post the link, but I don't interpret it the same as HK. It seems to me the language they used was chosen to convey respect for Roe. Didn't Senator Collins come out of a meeting with one of them report that respect to the press. There are several ways to look at it, maybe Sen. Collins was lying, maybe they mislead her, maybe they used slightly tricky language to deflect attention from the issue, similar to Justice Brown Jackson on gender issues, I don't know. I'm not confident both will vote to overturn.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

wesleyb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:29 am Having been adopted at birth after my bio-mom was talked out of aborting me, and now being involved in the foster system with active intent to adopt (potentially more than once), I have a bit of a vested interest in this subject and would just like to put in a bit of a clarifying plug.

There is no shortage of adoptable children in the United States, nor does it have to cost $40K to do so. Can we please not suggest that again? From the foster system side, many of these children have challenges, whether emotional or physical, though certainly not all of them! I realize different families are able (or willing) to deal with different levels of these challenges, but if there lies any fault with the Church in America on this topic, it's when we encourage the selfish mindset that encourages families to simply seek the healthy, "undamaged" infant or toddler that will easily and conveniently fit into their family, their church, or their ethnic or social contexts. Other than some of the nonsense like Oregon (which RZehr mentioned), folks need to seriously re-examine their motives (and their resources) if they're continually finding roadblocks to taking in children. There are literally 1000s upon 1000s of children available. Our family receives calls bi-weekly, if not weekly, for placements and potential adoptions, and that's just in PA, and frankly, they will pay me rather well to take them. I believe adoptkids.us had a 2021 stat that there were 400K children in the foster system and around 120K available for adoption.

I realize that there are some states that DO make it tough for conservative Christian families to adopt, and I realize not everybody is able (or at the stage of life) to take the risks of foster rather than straight adoptions (actually, both have risk). However, the idea that multitudes of families are sadly pining away waiting to adopt and hindered by unavailability of children or exorbitant adoption costs seems a bit disingenuous to me when I am personally aware of the above information... If you know somebody who would like to adopt (for whatever reason) and is willing to be flexible in what they receive, tell them to look around for Christian agencies involved in foster/foster-to-adopt programs. For that matter, tell them to look outside their own states. Just a few things to chew on. Sorry (sort of) for the bunny trail.
Yes! We adopted 2 through the foster system and everything you have said here rings true to me.
It’s important for members to share their personal experiences when+how possible. :wave:
For MORE details, MORE truth. MORE depth. Most of life has layers. ^^^

Interesting, Heirbyadoption.
(i guessed) your username was a reference to your spiritual conversion, not your earthly adoption! maybe both?! :wave:

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:23 pm Very much so. And yet to be fair, there is often
A. either a lack of awareness of the second (more economical) option and resources, or there is
B. either an inability or unwillingness to take the unique risks and stresses that can come with foster-to-adopt options.

And if it is financially viable for someone (I'm not much on the fundraising thing), the children adopted directly need a home too,
so I'm not saying it's inherently wrong to go that route (it's how I wound up in the home I did),
just that there are other options (and equally valid needs) that are not so far out of reach as is often assumed...
It’s important TO BE FAIR. :wave:

by God’s Grace, there are many paths, many options. “encourage one another.”
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

There are very serious risks and social problems that revolve around adoption too (particularly involving children from neglect or substance abuse situations). I don’t like to see those problems and challenges minimised.

Ultimately, complaining not enough Christians are adopting children is not a valid reason to murder babies.
0 x