Chick-Fil-A and an LGBT activist - what would Jesus do?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Chick-Fil-A and an LGBT activist - what would Jesus do?

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I don't think we have to let political blocs own our world view. If the question is "what would Jesus do", the subject probably isn't about political blocs. Jesus had plenty of political blocs he could have focused on. That's not what he chose to talk about.
Can you explain what you mean by political blocs in the Roman Empire?
The Roman Empire. The Herodeans, Zealots, Pharisees, and Sadducees, whose religious views all mixed with politics and political factions. Some of them conspired with Rome to kill Jesus. As you read Luke, for instance, pay attention to Herod and the Pharisees.

There were also the Essenes, who basically withdrew to the wilderness to escape all that.

If we want to know how Jesus would respond today, I think it's really helpful to focus on his response back then. That doesn't answer every question - what would Jesus do in a modern democracy where individuals have more say? - but it at least gives us a solid framework to see what Christlike looks like in action.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ok.
i suppose i see contemporary political blocs as somewhat different than the groups you name.
“contemporary” as i’m thinking, might refer to 1800’s or so? i have not thought much about it.
maybe post-union organizations?

i see these as groups of minorities with no intent of becoming a distinct entity, but cooperating to control the system they’re in.* they don’t want to be a “fair” minority in a democracy, they want to craft laws to become the dominant over-riding force, forget democracy, that’s for chumps.

they’re into minority rule, not majority rule, not for the overall public good, etc. “me-me-me.”

in my view, just another example of how human-centered initially good intentions go wrong.

- - - - - - - -

*well. no longer interested in simply controlling the gov system they’re in, today’s political blocs are entirely global, pushing their interests+flags world-wide, no country too remote, too big. ditto with corporations, schools.

they know no bounds. of course, those with no moral compass would be hard-pressed to recognize boundaries of any “nature.” this is where Jesus is The Way.

unfortunately, the bloc also sees Jesus as just another boundary to ignore+overcome; to claim.
in this way, i do not look forward to 2020.
i have a feeling we’re about to see scriptures shredded on a grand scale. it began years ago.

2020 may be a scriptural free-for-all as none could imagine.
those with no moral compass .. go unrestricted. :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

This is an example of incredibly mixed-up politics/claims of Christianity:

”US ambassador threatens to pull foreign aid unless Zambia embraces sodomy“
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/us-am ... ces-sodomy
.. “I don't want to make today about U.S. foreign assistance..." he said, as if he did not, in fact, have authority to threaten the withdrawal of aid over Zambia's sodomy laws.
:arrow: At the same time, with typical bureaucratic candor, he did not hesitate to make that very threat.

"Over time — and it's been two years for me — if you see that someone is not cooperating, I think the national inclination would be that assistance levels would change," he conceded to questions.

Among nations ravaged by the HIV-AIDS epidemic, Zambia is one of the hardest hit.
According to UN data, the HIV-prevalence has been among the highest in the world for over two decades and remains doggedly high at 11%. There are 250,000 AIDS orphans in the country. .. ..
Possibly part of the confusion in this report is, i wonder if it was written by an “English as a Second Language” writer? Maybe not. But, i think it’s a little hard to follow in places, maybe due to translation challenges. i do not know for sure.

According to the report, a good portion of U.S. Foreign Aid to Zambia goes to expensive HIV-AIDS drugs.

i believe obama began policies of using U.S. Foreign Aid to push his personal fav political foreign policy of advancing the homosexual bloc. he proudly did this in the U.S. and abroad. i hoped it would be discontinued with the new admin. when DJT appointed Foote, i was doubtful. this is one indication.

the bloc is powerful.
they go freely, unrestricted like governments, with some responsibility to all,
blocs have the temporal luxury of being 100% self-centered.

.. prayers for Zambia. :-|
0 x

UNKNOWN
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

temporal1 wrote:
”US ambassador threatens to pull foreign aid unless Zambia embraces sodomy“

That ambassador had better be careful. He could be impeached for that.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:
temporal1 wrote: ”US ambassador threatens to pull foreign aid unless Zambia embraces sodomy“
That ambassador had better be careful. He could be impeached for that.
That discussion will not happen. i doubt there’s any confusion about that.
obama did it. it was reported without a blip. A-ok.

i empathize with the Zambians.
faced with such horrifying disaster, no adequate means to respond. it’s gruesome life+death.
the orphans.

when smoking was acknowledged to cause lung cancer, efforts were+continue to be made to change peoples’ addictive habits.
when heart disease is diagnosed, doctors urge patients to change their diets.
when alcohol is connected to vehicular homicide, drinking+driving is outlawed.
for the public good.
0 x

UNKNOWN