Coronavirus Outbreak

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Re: Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by nett »

It would appear from this ruling, that the judge determined that the EUA drug and the FDA approved Comirnaty are not legally equivalent. This could be interesting for the mandates.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GJK ... FBJ-0/edit
0 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

It looks like the first case of the Omicron variant has been identified in the USA in a fully vaccinated person.

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

It also looks like the first omicron variant was actually isolated in Europe not Africa. So it went from Europe down to Africa and then around the world. And people will have to roll back their Blame Africa nonsense that has been spreading.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Very mild so far, more cold-like than flu-like
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 pm It also looks like the first omicron variant was actually isolated in Europe not Africa. So it went from Europe down to Africa and then around the world. And people will have to roll back their Blame Africa nonsense that has been spreading.
Who has been blaming Africa? I have seen none of this.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:43 am Who has been blaming Africa? I have seen none of this.
Countries around the world have been shutting down flights from southern African countries when it turns out that this variant probably didn't start there and was already in Europe before getting to Africa.

For example, here are Australia's travel restrictions https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions which now limit entry for people coming from South Africa, Lesotho, Eswatini, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, or Malawi. But notably not the Netherlands which had detected the variant over a week before it was found in South Africa.

This is rather like the famous Spanish Flu which was probably originated in the US not Spain.

There has been a lot of media discussion about how the low vaccine rates in South Africa and surrounding countries were leading to the cultivation of new variants. When it turns out that was likely not true. For example, this is the Wall Street Journal from 5 days ago: https://www.wsj.com/articles/omicron-va ... 1637960558
Omicron Variant Highlights Risks of Low Vaccination Rates in Poor Countries: The new coronavirus was first identified in Africa, where just 7% of people are fully vaccinated

The identification of a new, highly-mutated variant of the coronavirus virus in southern Africa this week highlights the risk to global public health posed by large, unvaccinated populations in the developing world, where countries have struggled to get immunizations and the virus is spreading and evolving.

Overall, just 7% of people in Africa are fully vaccinated, compared with 42% of the global population, according to Our World In Data, a project based at Oxford University. In Europe and the U.S., vaccination levels are 67% and 58%.

That disparity, public-health officials say, helped open the door to the rise of this latest variant, which has more than 50 mutations—including 30 on the virus’s spike, a main target for vaccines—from the one that emerged in Wuhan, China, two years ago.

World Health Organization scientists on Friday declared the new strain, which they named Omicron, a “variant of concern” and said evidence suggests that it is more contagious and that it is able to infect people who have already had Covid-19 or been vaccinated.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:38 pm Very mild so far, more cold-like than flu-like
Just as the first doctor reported.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Yesterday i heard from a former co-worker who was at my register, that they we're pulling the plug on her husband yesterday. I had seen prayer requests for him but no details of what was going on so I've been praying thinking maybe it was something else.

When she told me I just broke down and cried. He made it through his covid pneumonia in the hospital and they thought he was recovered but then got MRSA there. Ultimately that will be his cause of death I guess I'm not sure but it broke my heart knowing the roller coaster she's been going through-

You do not want to get MRSA
0 x
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:50 am
Robert wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:43 am Who has been blaming Africa? I have seen none of this.
Countries around the world have been shutting down flights from southern African countries when it turns out that this variant probably didn't start there and was already in Europe before getting to Africa.

For example, here are Australia's travel restrictions https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions which now limit entry for people coming from South Africa, Lesotho, Eswatini, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, or Malawi. But notably not the Netherlands which had detected the variant over a week before it was found in South Africa.

This is rather like the famous Spanish Flu which was probably originated in the US not Spain.

There has been a lot of media discussion about how the low vaccine rates in South Africa and surrounding countries were leading to the cultivation of new variants. When it turns out that was likely not true. For example, this is the Wall Street Journal from 5 days ago: https://www.wsj.com/articles/omicron-va ... 1637960558
Omicron Variant Highlights Risks of Low Vaccination Rates in Poor Countries: The new coronavirus was first identified in Africa, where just 7% of people are fully vaccinated

The identification of a new, highly-mutated variant of the coronavirus virus in southern Africa this week highlights the risk to global public health posed by large, unvaccinated populations in the developing world, where countries have struggled to get immunizations and the virus is spreading and evolving.

Overall, just 7% of people in Africa are fully vaccinated, compared with 42% of the global population, according to Our World In Data, a project based at Oxford University. In Europe and the U.S., vaccination levels are 67% and 58%.

That disparity, public-health officials say, helped open the door to the rise of this latest variant, which has more than 50 mutations—including 30 on the virus’s spike, a main target for vaccines—from the one that emerged in Wuhan, China, two years ago.

World Health Organization scientists on Friday declared the new strain, which they named Omicron, a “variant of concern” and said evidence suggests that it is more contagious and that it is able to infect people who have already had Covid-19 or been vaccinated.
The list of countries shutting down travel from the South Africa region includes the USA. And this was done by a president who had some rather disparaging things to see about the previous president when he shut down travel from China.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

GaryK:
The list of countries shutting down travel from the South Africa region includes the USA.
And this was done by a president who had some rather disparaging things to see about the previous president when he shut down travel from China.
There can be no hesitation to scream racism/partisan accusations at every turn, even at the cost of basic public health+safety.
There is a daily race to be fast+first.
The potential right to gloat seems to be adequate motivation. Eating crow is just a risk worth taking.

On your mark, get set, scream bloody murder. :roll:
0 x