Bud Light

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Bud Light

Post by Josh »

Ken,

We have long taken a stance against both drinking Budweisers and attending NASCAR races, if that makes you feel better.
The vast majority of Americans including a solid majority of Republicans support LGBT rights and have no problem with things like pride events.
That doesn’t make it right, and I don’t want my children being exposed to gross immorality in public like “pride” events.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:30 pm Ken,

We have long taken a stance against both drinking Budweisers and attending NASCAR races, if that makes you feel better.
The vast majority of Americans including a solid majority of Republicans support LGBT rights and have no problem with things like pride events.
That doesn’t make it right, and I don’t want my children being exposed to gross immorality in public like “pride” events.
Yes but no one notices what positions your small Holdeman church takes on anything.

I'm talking about when the larger evangelical world that actually has a huge public megaphone takes a stand against one particular LGBT celebrity sponsored by Budweiser who happens to be a liberal when ignoring the endless bad behavior and sin by all the other Bud sponsors in the country music, NASCAR and sports world who happen to be conservatives.

People rightly see that as judgmental and hypocritical. And it is the sort of ultra-partisan behavior that leads to the continued decline of the the public opinion of right wing evangelical Christianity.

I lived a long time in Texas where Baptists, NASCAR, country music, and GOP politics are all interwoven into the fabric of life. At least within the portion of the population that is White.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:30 pm Ken,

There is a difference between private, ticket based, entertainment and large public events.
Our church also takes a stand against professional entertainment. Also, we do not participate in Fourth of July parades. I suppose Pride parades fall into the same category as public Fourth of July parades. We just avoid them.
We don’t lobby against Fourth of July parades, we just avoid.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:53 pm Yes but no one notices what positions your small Holdeman church takes on anything.
I believe that our individual churches and families are the most important place to seek the Kingdom of God and to be salt and light to the world. And that includes Josh's small Holdeman church. The most important mission for the Kingdom of God is to be the Kingdom of God.

Part of the problem, I think, is that we can think that the things that our culture sees as more important really are. So we look to the kinds of things that go viral on the Internet. And that's rarely the Kingdom of God. It's more often outrage about Bud light and transgender people.

Here's an interesting test: Would you give a sermon on that topic or hold a Bible study about it?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:55 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:53 pm Yes but no one notices what positions your small Holdeman church takes on anything.
I believe that our individual churches and families are the most important place to seek the Kingdom of God and to be salt and light to the world. And that includes Josh's small Holdeman church. The most important mission for the Kingdom of God is to be the Kingdom of God.

Part of the problem, I think, is that we can think that the things that our culture sees as more important really are. So we look to the kinds of things that go viral on the Internet. And that's rarely the Kingdom of God. It's more often outrage about Bud light and transgender people.

Here's an interesting test: Would you give a sermon on that topic or hold a Bible study about it?
You are co-mingling two completely separate issues here.

The positions that small Anabaptist churches take on any social issues are frankly of no interest to the outside world because no one in the outside world ever actually hears them. When you retreat from the "world" one consequence of doing so is that no one hears you.

All that the outside world ever hears and sees from conservative Christianity is the constant drumbeat of messaging from the conservative evangelical world that is loud and relentless and political. And yes, does come across as very judgmental, hypocritical, and partisan. I could cite endless examples from the likes of say Sean Feucht, Paula White, James Dobson, Franklin Graham, etc. Who all have millions of followers. Every one of which on their own drowns out the combined message of all Anabaptists in America 10-times over.

Are you asking ME if I would give a sermon on the subject of Bud light? If I was giving a sermon on sin I'd be more likely to start with someone like billionaire coal company owner Jim Justice and how the sin of greed has led him to crimes against nature such his multiple companies engaged in mountain top removal strip mining, exploitation of thousands of employees, and hundreds of cases of environmental and safety violations. And how Christians should not be cheerleading the political aspirations of such an unrepentant sinner and criminal, even though he is pandering to them through his signing of anti-LGBT laws in West Virginia as governor.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:53 pm I lived a long time in Texas where Baptists, NASCAR, country music, and GOP politics are all interwoven into the fabric of life. At least within the portion of the population that is White.
I am not responsible for, and have no control or power over:

- Texas
- Baptists
- NASCAR
- The GOP
- Country music

(I’m not sure why you brought up race.)

As I said earlier, whilst Holdemans do accept Texas, we don’t go to NASCAR, don’t vote GOP, and those of us listening to country music consider it a struggle that we need to stop doing.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:22 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:53 pm I lived a long time in Texas where Baptists, NASCAR, country music, and GOP politics are all interwoven into the fabric of life. At least within the portion of the population that is White.
I am not responsible for, and have no control or power over:

- Texas
- Baptists
- NASCAR
- The GOP
- Country music

(I’m not sure why you brought up race.)

As I said earlier, whilst Holdemans do accept Texas, we don’t go to NASCAR, don’t vote GOP, and those of us listening to country music consider it a struggle that we need to stop doing.
I'm not saying you have anything to do with those things. Nor am I saying anything about the specific positions of your church on any subject.

I'm simply pointing out why the non-Holdeman conservative evangelicals who create public controversies about things like Bud Light (and now apparently Cracker Barrel and Chick fil-A) are viewed as judgmental partisan hypocrites by the many Americans.

And I specified White Texans because Black, Asian, and Hispanic Texans are not so much into NASCAR, Country Music, or the GOP.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:40 pm I'm simply pointing out why the non-Holdeman conservative evangelicals who create public controversies about things like Bud Light
Tim Pool, who is none of the things you mentioned, championed the Bud Light boycott.
Ken wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:40 pm And I specified White Texans because Black, Asian, and Hispanic Texans are not so much into NASCAR, Country Music, or the GOP.
Polls seem to suggest they are more interested in those things than you claim. I know many who are. I think you are being racist and putting people in a box they do not define for themselves.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:11 amPolls seem to suggest they are more interested in those things than you claim. I know many who are. I think you are being racist and putting people in a box they do not define for themselves.
Racist?

Words have meaning. Do tell us what definition of "racism" you are using to make that accusation of me.

As for backing up what I actually wrote, which was "Black, Asian, and Hispanic Texans are not so much into NASCAR, Country Music, or the GOP?"

NASCAR: https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/2022/ ... l-fanbase/ and https://brandongaille.com/52-fantastic- ... ographics/

Country Music: https://variety.com/2022/music/news/bla ... 235297372/

And the GOP: If only Black, Hispanic, and Asians voted in Texas then Biden would have beaten Trump by a 40 point margin (70% to 30%).
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... texas.html

0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:43 am Do tell us what definition of "racism" you are using to make that accusation of me.
When race is brought in to give reason for cultural interests and lifestyle, it is racist.

There are more blacks in the NBA, rap and hip hop music. There are more blacks involved in inner city murders. Now does that sound racist to you?

MANY Hispanics enjoy country music and a large amount support Trump. This does not mean anything since they are just people living their life.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.